Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA Gun Collectors Ass'n (5/31 & 6/1) (Northway Mall)

This was the emptiest PGCA show I've seen in years. I feel bad for the vendors for the low cash flow. As usual a great lunch afterward. tom.
    Last edited by deputy tom; June 1st, 2014 at 08:21 AM.
    N.R.A LIFE MEMBER GOA annual member

I managed to drop a good bit of money with CNC Survival on 223 and 54r ammo today. That was my plan so I left happy. Beyond that, I Honestly, didn't even pick up a firearm at any table because the opening prices were not good.

(Butler County)

I agree, it was dead. The weather and season probably had a lot to do with it though. And, since steel left Pittsburgh, most of the local populace is more non-gun than pro-gun, IMHO. I hate to get off on a tangent, but I work downtown and it is really sad to see the current condition of the City. Kinda goes along with farms that are now housing plans, school violence to the extreme, disappearing morals, and corruption everywhere you look. I remember going on streetcar rides with my Mom when Pittsburgh sidewalks were crowded from 7AM till dark, traffic was a crawl, and people helped each other. Now, only the first two floors of most buildings downtown are occupied. All the others, no matter how many floors up, are vacant. There is no traffic downtown, the buses are mostly empty, and the sidewalks, even Smithfield Street in the heart of the City are lucky to have 10 people walking on each block at any given time. Few, if any of the walkers wear suits or dresses except on Grant Street. Things certainly have changed....some for the good....but some not so good.

(Westmoreland County)

Steel leaving the city 30 years ago has nothing to do with a low turnout today and theoretically less pro-gun people. A little over 10 years ago at the old Greengate mall, the show would be flooded with people. Even when this show was up at the Westmoreland Mall next to Dick's would it get packed. Pgh Mills was more hit or miss, I'd guess.

I'd say some of the best weather we've had in a long, long time after a harsh winter coupled with an increased travel time and trouble getting to the new location are keeping the old regulars away. I'm one of them. I used to go to every show. At the new location, I'm sorry, but I don't know how often I'll get back, if at all. I was thinking of going tomorrow, but there's so much other stuff to do on such a nice day, I may simply have to pass.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Baird View Post
    I agree, it was dead. The weather and season probably had a lot to do with it though. And, since steel left Pittsburgh, most of the local populace is more non-gun than pro-gun, IMHO. I hate to get off on a tangent, but I work downtown and it is really sad to see the current condition of the City. Kinda goes along with farms that are now housing plans, school violence to the extreme, disappearing morals, and corruption everywhere you look. I remember going on streetcar rides with my Mom when Pittsburgh sidewalks were crowded from 7AM till dark, traffic was a crawl, and people helped each other. Now, only the first two floors of most buildings downtown are occupied. All the others, no matter how many floors up, are vacant. There is no traffic downtown, the buses are mostly empty, and the sidewalks, even Smithfield Street in the heart of the City are lucky to have 10 people walking on each block at any given time. Few, if any of the walkers wear suits or dresses except on Grant Street. Things certainly have changed....some for the good....but some not so good.
    Market Sq was jam packed yesterday - Friday - at lunch. And with the new 5-Guys going to open soon, it can only get more crowded. Now that the weather broke, you'll see more folks in town.

For folks that can take advantage of public transportation, a downtown employer has a huge advantage over a commute to the distant 'burbs.

But yeah, yinzburgh isn't what it used to be.

If you remember street cars, you probably remember the brick and mortar GUN STORE across the street from the Jenkins Arcade. Imagine that happening today.

Last "dahntawn" gunstore I personally seen was on the main street in the college town outside of Cape Giraudoux in Missouri. First SAIGA I had ever seen was there...
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

If you remember street cars, you probably remember the brick and mortar GUN STORE across the street from the Jenkins Arcade.
    The original Firearms Unlimited? IIRC in the 70s they had this Dahntahn store an' another one in S'Liberty.

As to the PGCA show Saturday, it was so slow and sparsely attended that for a time the directors were considering having the show Life Flighted to AGH for advanced life support. I cannot recall a PGCA show ever where there was no line at the door 5 mins after opening on Sat AM.

I attribute it to "graduation weekend" in addition to the superb weather.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Washington County)

Personally, I wouldn't have went except for it being a nice day for a ride. Would have been happier if the show was a little more south....

The thing that stood out for me (besides that rather starved look of the venders) was entrance check set up. I kinda like the little stick your gun in thingy while you drop and rack, but it seems kinda pointless to zip-tie your gun then hand you back your ammo (the tie they used actually just fell off of my xd 45 tac when I got back to my vehicle). The last show I was at (Monroeville mall) they kept you mags and gave you a chit as tie your gun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The original Firearms Unlimited? IIRC in the 70s they had this Dahntahn store an' another one in S'Liberty.

<snip>

I attribute it to "graduation weekend" in addition to the superb weather.

Noah
    Yep, was a great weekend for outdoor parties and yard work... IIRC, the PGCA used to hold a Father's Day weekend show every year. They missed the boat as many of us would have been left off our leashes. And with money.

Yes, Firearms Unlimited! Like CandyRAma and Raywell's, it was a must-stop with every visit dahntahn; had a large-scale 1918 BAR cut-away on display and the icing on the cake - to a kid raised on B&W, rabbit-eared, TV war movies in the 60's - the dummy MP40 on the wall inside the store.

Eventually hit their 'Sliberty store once in my adult years - first time I had ever seen a VALMET M71S in person. Unforgettable rifle.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(McKean County)

I would like to get in contact with the older gentleman named Leo, who was walking around Sunday with a Mosin M44 on his back. If anyone knows Leo can I please be messaged.
    Leo is from the McKeesport area I believe.

Thanks. Prof

(Indiana County)

The current location makes it hard for me to justify the trip to just look around at overpriced common stuff.
    I'm mainly only looking for parts, parts that I can get from home on the internet.

I've often wondered why these large gun show promoters don't do a show in Altoona or Johnstown.
    You have major routes into the cities as well as hotels etc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12