Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: House Rep Lucas introduces bill to allow semi-autos for hunting small game

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    I hate that term "Fudd." What are non-hunting gun owners called?

It has to do with tradition, and old people. Couple that with State Legislators holding the keys on this issue, what do you expect? It's not just "Fudds."
    "Fudd" is more than just a "hunting gun owner." I know a lot of hunters I would never call a "Fudd."

"Fudds" are gun owners who are afraid of change.

"Fudds" are the gun owners who support "assault weapons" bans because the ban doesn't impact their "hunting rifle," but does impact semiautomatics they don't like sharing the range with.

"Fudds" are gun owners who support "high capacity" magazine bans because "you don't need no 30-round clip to kill a deer with!"

"Fudds" are the guys who get on the councils at gun clubs, and then scare away the younger generations by banning the use of semiautomatics aside from pistols, or instituting magazine capacity limits on the range.

Basically, "Fudds" are the "Old Boys Club" who want everything to stay exactly how it was when they were growing up. They're afraid of change, and they'll do anything they can to PREVENT change - even if it means a gun club closing down because they can't get new members or Pennsylvania perhaps being the last state to ban semiautomatics for hunting (currently one of eight remaining states that do that, but those other seven could very well legalize semiautomatics before us).

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: House Rep Lucas introduces bill to allow semi-autos for hunting small game

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    I hate that term "Fudd." What are non-hunting gun owners called?

It has to do with tradition, and old people. Couple that with State Legislators holding the keys on this issue, what do you expect? It's not just "Fudds."
    Fudds aren't gun owners that hunt. They are gun owning hunters that care only about their shotgun or bolt rifle they use for hunting. They maybe don't see the "need" to carry for protection or handguns or semi autos etc. As long as legislators leave their gun of choice alone they compromise everyone else's rights and guns away.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    "Fudd" is more than just a "hunting gun owner." I know a lot of hunters I would never call a "Fudd."

"Fudds" are gun owners who are afraid of change.

"Fudds" are the gun owners who support "assault weapons" bans because the ban doesn't impact their "hunting rifle," but does impact semiautomatics they don't like sharing the range with.

"Fudds" are gun owners who support "high capacity" magazine bans because "you don't need no 30-round clip to kill a deer with!"

"Fudds" are the guys who get on the councils at gun clubs, and then scare away the younger generations by banning the use of semiautomatics aside from pistols, or instituting magazine capacity limits on the range.

Basically, "Fudds" are the "Old Boys Club" who want everything to stay exactly how it was when they were growing up. They're afraid of change, and they'll do anything they can to PREVENT change - even if it means a gun club closing down because they can't get new members or Pennsylvania perhaps being the last state to ban semiautomatics for hunting (currently one of eight remaining states that do that, but those other seven could very well legalize semiautomatics before us).
    I'd bet most of us have "Fudds" in our families. And like so many other issues in the world, some old people just think they know it all.

;O)

Spot on about some level of prevention of keeping younger generations out of things because of this attitude.

(Lancaster County)

Hence why we need to win on this. It really is for the kids and our future.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

I used to be a "Fudd" until I owned a modern sporting rifle and saw how effective it could be as a hunting firearm.
    I was against Crossbows in archery until I shot one and realized how efficient of a hunting tool this is in the right hands.

Change can be a good thing to keep hunting traditions alive and draw more enthusiasts to our ranks. We can change the attitudes of the Fudd mentality by letting these guys try out our equipment and experiencing what its like to shoot some of these rifles.

AK47s though ,.... no

lol jk
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I used to be a "Fudd" until I owned a modern sporting rifle and saw how effective it could be as a hunting firearm.
    I was against Crossbows in archery until I shot one and realized how efficient of a hunting tool this is in the right hands.

Change can be a good thing to keep hunting traditions alive and draw more enthusiasts to our ranks. We can change the attitudes of the Fudd mentality by letting these guys try out our equipment and experiencing what its like to shoot some of these rifles.

AK47s though ,.... no

lol jk
    I used to pretty much be a Fudd as well. I thought ARs were inaccurate & for mall ninjas. Then I saw how accurate & adaptable they can be & I've seen the light.

Really hoping for this semi-auto law to pass so I can hunt with a suppressed sbr. Not much good news going around lately...

(Bucks County)

some old people just think they know it all.
    That's funny.... seems like the protestors and "be ins" were closer to youngsters on average.

I look at gun ownership as a cross-section of gun users, just like people with motor vehicles form a cross-section of drivers. Just like gun owners, there are drivers who

love convertibles
    would never own a convertible
    drive 5 mph under the limit
    drive exactly the limit
    drive 5 mph over the limit
    drive 10 mph over the limit
    drive as fast as it looks like they can get away with
    ride and would rather ride a motorcycle
    wouldn't go near a motorcycle
    have two million miles as a sales person
    have three million miles as a truck driver
    Will not leave the house to drive in rain or snow
    will leave and couldn't care less

I could go on. The point is, we are an aggregate of people with varying reasons for being involved with a firearm. There will always be gun users with opinions and need 180 degrees from another's, with varying degrees in between.

I was talking about my AK at my gun club a while back. Member seated nearby firmly intoned, "I won't own an AK47". It was immediately apparent that he had strong feelings on the matter. Sensing a bad experience or experiences was behind the insertion of his feelings into my conversation with someone else, I didn't want to get into the reasons why. They are his reasons, not mine. Patriotic? Saw friends killed in Vietnam by them? Buy American? I do not know. I do know there are people who have the appearance of being "on my side" because we share a mutual membership when the reality is it is not necessarily true.
    Last edited by Bang; May 29th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.

(Lancaster County)

OK, I see a meeting of the committee for it on the calendar but I only see one bill being considered. Is it OK to come in and speak on a bill to motivate them to consider it? I don't see another committee meeting scheduled so far.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Is there any update on this?
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Montgomery County)

Here is an update I received on 7/30 from Rep Lucas:

John

HB 2230 is still stuck in the rules committee. Leader Mike Turzai is the only one that can get it moved out and to the floor for a vote. I have ask him & his staff several times to move it out with no luck so far. You and anyone else that is interested in seeing this legislation move should contact him or his office and ask him to move HB2230 for a vote on the floor. Time is running out in this session!
    Here are the people you need to contact Mturzai@pahousegop.com (Mike Turzai) (Krystjan Callahan his aid) Kcallaha@pahousegop.com (Karen Coates his chief of staff)Kcoates@pahousegop.com

Thanks

Rep. Greg Lucas

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast