Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: House Rep Lucas introduces bill to allow semi-autos for hunting small game

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    How about we punish people when they are caught doing irresponsible things with firearms while hunting instead of prohibiting semi-autos?

You just said you hunting related shootings are decreasing and with the same breath, tar the semi-auto as encouraging spray and pray.

Why is it that the Fudds make the same asinine argument that the streets will run with blood if semi's are allowed, over and over again?

I have not found any credible data whatever that supports this argument. The folks arguing against semi's should just be honest about it and admit the thought of seeing an ar in the woods offends their sense of red plaid and "fair chase".

The resistance to semi's is a Fudd issue, not a safety issue.
    Agreed. They are pretty much saying they belong to a group that is unsafe, reckless and irresponsible. A real great way to promote hunting and gun ownership. It took what, two or three post until spray and pray was mentioned?
    Gun owners really are an arrogant bunch, hunt like me, carry like me, store your guns like me. If you don't you're an inexperienced asshole.

I jest. For the most part. The same attitude is found within any group. I always found it profound because guns and freedom are so intertwined in my opinion. Unless someone is doing something unsafe why should I care? As has been said numerous times already, punish the many for the actions of a few. I mean if you see one of these guys in the field, why not call them to task for it? Or is it another one of those things that hasn't been witnesses but is assumed will be?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: House Rep Lucas introduces bill to allow semi-autos for hunting small game

Sorry guys. I for one that hunts public lands will fight this one.

They should not allow semi-auto rifles for hunting. Period.

Though the number of hunter related shootings is decreasing, there are still too many out there with the spray and pray attitude. It happens all the time with every other rifle.

And unfortunately, the WCOs are already over stretched in their areas. So enforcing the magazine limits would be almost impossible.
    Great. same kind of logic that generates stupid laws reactive to shooting incidents.... punish the innocent for the actions of a few.

I've been hunting since 12 years old... that's over 60 years....and damned if I've ever experienced anything like this post ^^^ describes. It's like look how brave I am, hunting in these conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by tsor39 View Post

Though the number of hunter related shootings is decreasing, there are still too many out there with the spray and pray attitude. It happens all the time with every other rifle.

And unfortunately, the WCOs are already over stretched in their areas. So enforcing the magazine limits would be almost impossible.
    And with attitudes like that, we will continue to be one of the last eight backwater states that still has hunting laws that haven't made sense since the 1950s.

And personally, I'd rather be in the woods hunting with a 100 other people using semiautomatics than a handful of old Fudds who only take their rifle to the range once a year to "sight it in" and then take it to the field.

In the meantime, I am considering building an AR-platform rifle without a gas tube so it is the legally required "manually operated" firearm, just to annoy the Fudds who quiver at the sight of a EBR (or maybe a bolt-action 50 BMG upper on my M4 lower). And perhaps a Keltec KSG for bird hunting.

(Perry County)

Sad, you sound like an anti-gunner.

Compare West Virginia to Pennsylvania for hunting shooting incidents and it blows your opinion out of the water. Unfortunately, it's always easier to dig your heels in based on nothing more than a belief than it is to research something and learn your belief is wrong.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(York County)

I guess you're entitled to your opinion. But, it should be based in some degree of fact before it's considered to have any validity.

Emotion, conjecture, suppositions do not equal fact. I would be curious to see how this logic stacks up in other states that allow semi's for hunting. I've been using my M1A for deer in WV (including 10 and 20 round mags) and have not seen the need or desire to unload randomly on any living thing in the woods. In fact, I've taken five deer with it using six shots. The firearm doesn't induce the behavior. The behavior exists absent the firearm.

The best you can hope for with your assertion is that the firearm in this case will make the behavior more prevalent. Assholes come in all forms, and sometimes they buy licenses and take to the woods. Whether it's a semi, pump or lever, or even bolt, is meaningless. The difference in rate of fire is measured in tenths of seconds. The goal should be to eliminate the intent, not punish those who aren't idiots. I don't try to instill responsibility in my kids by preventing them from doing things. I encourage them to do all things responsibly by giving them the opportunity to BE responsible. This is no different. Laws are made for the lawless, and by their very nature are largely useless. None of this will prevent assholes from plying their trade.

(Bucks County)

Yes, but....it is not the results that should be measured....only the intent.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    The point of allowing semi's for hunting isn't to encourage or validate hunters "praying and spraying"

It merely means that you can spend all day Friday at the range with your 10/22, then take a squirrel with it on Saturday.

Allowing semi's is about letting people utilize rifles they already have, not increasing their firepower in the woods.
    Exactly.

I built an upper with no gas tube, specifically for hunting coyotes. I figured it would suffice; I get to keep my lower with a comfy stock and a CMC trigger, and the game commission can feel safe and not fine me.

I can just as easily put a gas tube back on and get a couple of 5 round magazines if this bill goes anywhere.

Semiautomatics should be legal for hunting in PA simply because ONE GUN can be used for so many seasons just by maintaining extra upper receivers.

A 22 LR upper for recreational shooting.

A 223 Remington/5.56x45mm upper for small game/varminting.

A 300 Blackout upper for medium game.

A 50 Beowulf upper for large game.

One gun to handle all the non-shotgun hunting seasons. Why can't the Fudds see the advantage to allowing semiautomatics, namely the AR-15 platform, being legal for hunting?!

I support this because I'd like to take my Ruger MKIII 22/45 out hunting.

I probably wouldn't go out with an AR, but if someone else wanted to, and was following the rules and acting ethically, I have no problem with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    Why can't the Fudds see the advantage to allowing semiautomatics, namely the AR-15 platform, being legal for hunting?!
    I hate that term "Fudd." What are non-hunting gun owners called?

It has to do with tradition, and old people. Couple that with State Legislators holding the keys on this issue, what do you expect? It's not just "Fudds."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast