Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Back in the game - targets posted

About a week or so ago I posted about wanting trigger lightening on my M&P40, because it seemed a bit heavy to me. After being told that it was fine at the weight it was set at (about 6 lbs), I started questioning a few things about how I was shooting.

When I first started off I was awful. Could barely put my rounds on the paper. After my first 100 rounds I talked to a friend and he gave me the best advice I ever got for shooting - "Let the recoil surprise you." The next time I went out, I saw immediate improvement. I had been pushing down anticipating that recoil, and this immediately improved my shots. I have gotten kind of complacent in the past couple months and my skills have gone downhill. Today, I got fed up with this and really focused on how I was shooting, and realized I was getting sloppy.

I saw how my grip was loose. I wasn't holding on right and I wasn't only pushing the trigger left with the tip of my finger, I was actually pushing the entire gun left with my entire finger. My stance was weak and lax and I wasn't practicing good breath control.

Attached to this post are two targets I just shot this afternoon and I'm pretty happy with. The lesson I learned from today and I hope someone else may learn from is that shooting skill really doesn't stem from your equipment (to a degree of course) but it really hinges more on you as a shooter. I tried to blame my decline in skills on my gun's "heavy" trigger pull when it turns out my gun is more than capable of shooting well if I just focus on the core skills required for accurate target shooting.

A little about the targets. They were shot at the Lackawanna SGL with Blazer aluminum shells (.40 S&W obviously). The groupings were about 4 1/2" ignoring the outliers, and 5-6" with the outliers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

(Chester County)

Default Re: Back in the game - targets posted

Take the NRA Basic Pistol class. You won't be disappointed. I had some experience with pistols prior to taking it and I still learned alot. Particularily when it came to my stance and grip.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lackawanna County)

Yeah, I've heard the class is good. I'm considering it, I met someone that teaches it and it sounds like something I'll spend for over the holidays.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by msquaredserver View Post
    Attached to this post are two targets I just shot this afternoon and I'm pretty happy with. The lesson I learned from today and I hope someone else may learn from is that shooting skill really doesn't stem from your equipment (to a degree of course) but it really hinges more on you as a shooter. I tried to blame my decline in skills on my gun's "heavy" trigger pull when it turns out my gun is more than capable of shooting well if I just focus on the core skills required for accurate target shooting.
    Duh....... JK
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Lackawanna County)

Haha I know. Seems simple enough, but it slipped my mind so I figured I would post about it and see if it might help someone else stuck in that stupid rut

How far were you shooting? Just curious.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    How far were you shooting? Just curious.
    Right in front of the tables at the Lackawanna SGL. I'm not sure exactly what the distance is, but I'd estimate 15-16 yeards or so.