Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Remington Primer Question

Different guns hit with varying force - some are fairly "light", even right out of the box. While the thicker metal of the 5-1/2 makes them more appropriate for the higher intensity cartridges (I accidently left the 357 Sig off my earlier post), but there is a trade-off with a slight decrease in the sensitivity. If the 1-1/2 is appropriate for the cartridge you are reloading, I would recommend that (for its higher sensitivity) and would not expect to see any misfire issues.

Also, simply seating "below flush" may not tell the complete story. If you seat the primers more than about .006" below flush, you could actually drive the primer cup into the anvil, forcing all the mix out. Once this has happened, misfires can be expected. Seating "below flush", but just barely (.001") will reduce the sensitivity. The optimum depth is .002-.005" below flush of the cartridge case head.

Default Re: Remington Primer Question

Quote Originally Posted by RemShooter View Post
    Different guns hit with varying force - some are fairly "light", even right out of the box. While the thicker metal of the 5-1/2 makes them more appropriate for the higher intensity cartridges (I accidently left the 357 Sig off my earlier post), but there is a trade-off with a slight decrease in the sensitivity. If the 1-1/2 is appropriate for the cartridge you are reloading, I would recommend that (for its higher sensitivity) and would not expect to see any misfire issues.

Also, simply seating "below flush" may not tell the complete story. If you seat the primers more than about .006" below flush, you could actually drive the primer cup into the anvil, forcing all the mix out. Once this has happened, misfires can be expected. Seating "below flush", but just barely (.001") will reduce the sensitivity. The optimum depth is .002-.005" below flush of the cartridge case head.

How could you even measure this? Also I prime on my press, do the hand primers seat to the exact depth needed or is it just by feel. I don't think I'm seating the primers too far since I have never had a single misfire using Federal primers. Maybe my firing pin spring is a little light for Remington primers since they are supposed to be harder than Federal (I'm shooting a Glock 17 with a standard striker spring). If I could make these 100% reliable it would be great since I have about 3k small and 500 large Remington primers left.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12