Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Purchase of 22lr at walmart they asked me a question

Yesterday I stopped at walmart to see if they had any decent ammo and they had boxes of 550 ct 22lr ammo, first time I'd seen 22lr in my local walmart for a few months. As I was making the purchase(max of 3 boxes) the lady at the cash register asked me if the ammo was being used in a handgun. I said no and then she mentioned all sales are final. When I got out to the truck I noticed they were hollow point rounds. Do you think she would have denied me the purchase if I would have said yes to the handgun question? I've heard 22lr hollow point rounds cant be identified after shot because they are too small. What's up with this?

(Washington County)

Default Re: Purchase of 22lr at walmart they asked me a question

I believe it's just about age. 18 for rifle, 21 for handgun.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(York County)

They ask that because they won't sell "Handgun ammunition" to persons under 21.

(Allegheny County)

How old are you? If you look young they usually ask because if you are using the ammo in a pistol you must be over 21 to buy it. Rifle ammo is 18+. Even though it's the same ammo it makes a difference.

(Lackawanna County)

How old are you, and more importantly, are you carded at bars because you don't "look" 21?

The reason I ask is because you have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammunition in PA. 22 lr is a grey area because it is a popular handgun and rifle caliber.

Technically speaking, it is legal for a 20 year old to purchase if used in a rifle. Yet, that same ammo is illegal for a 20 year old to buy if it is used in a handgun.

Just imagine a 20 year old trying to convince a salesperson that the 45 ACP or 9 mm they're purchasing is for a carbine and not a handgun.

Just another crazy law.

I'm guessing you're young looking, and the salesperson didn't want to card you for your ammo purchase.

I'm 52, and I might look young for my age(not really) but I sure don't look like I'm under 21!

I've never been asked that question even when I bought pistol or revolver ammo at walmart

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    How old are you, and more importantly, are you carded at bars because you don't "look" 21?

The reason I ask is because you have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammunition in PA. 22 lr is a grey area because it is a popular handgun and rifle caliber.

Technically speaking, it is legal for a 20 year old to purchase if used in a rifle. Yet, that same ammo is illegal for a 20 year old to buy if it is used in a handgun.

Just imagine a 20 year old trying to convince a salesperson that the 45 ACP or 9 mm they're purchasing is for a carbine and not a handgun.

Just another crazy law.

I'm guessing you're young looking, and the salesperson didn't want to card you for your ammo purchase.
    It is a stupid pointless law. I was gifted a pistol at 18 by my father yet couldn't buy ammo for it for 3 years. Just another law that only affects law abiding citizens and no one else.

(Montgomery County)

If it is the law why not ask for ID?

(Chester County)

I used to have to go to CT for work regularly a few years ago, and used to stop in Walmart to buy ammo. They'd sometimes ask if it was for pistol, or rifle, and I always said rifle because I do shoot it in rifles. One lady said really, you shoot this in a rifle", and I said, "well yes, see it says .22 Long RIFLE right on the box."

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post

Just another crazy law.

I'm too lazy to look it up now but IIRC it's a federal law, not PA, prohibiting sale of handgun ammunition to 18-20 year-olds.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast