Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default BATFE NFA Gun Trust rule decision pushed to 2015

Some good news, for now anyway

But senior ATF officials have told industry groups that a June 2014 deadline for publishing the new rule is expected to be pushed back into 2015, due to the scale of opposition expressed during a public consultation phase.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: BATFE NFA Gun Trust rule decision pushed to 2015

Good to hear, but if more people that own NFA through Trusts or LLS/Corps responded, the whole 41P could have gone away or be pushed to 2030.

(Northampton County)

I'm confused about the delay. Are that many NFA enthusiasts really potential Democrat voters in the upcoming midterm election? I find that hard to believe and sad if true.

(Washington County)

Thanks for posting..
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I'm confused about the delay.
    Apparently, the ATF has to address all of the "Valid" comments that were made during the 41P comment period. There were quite a few comments that were BS and were disregarded. So that leaves somewhere around 8000 comments to respond to.

They were not expecting that many so they are forced to push the date for the next rounds of comments.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Apparently, the ATF has to address all of the "Valid" comments that were made during the 41P comment period. There were quite a few comments that were BS and were disregarded. So that leaves somewhere around 8000 comments to respond to.

They were not expecting that many so they are forced to push the date for the next rounds of comments.
    I understand the regulatory process as much as anybody around here I would guess.

They do not have to respond to 8,000 comments, as you have somewhat conceded, this has been delayed for political reasons just like every other delay there has been since Obama got elected.
    Last edited by ungawa; May 4th, 2014 at 04:02 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by libertyof76 View Post
    The White House is concerned about Elections.... they must figure that the NFA Trust issue could inflame "pro-gun voters".

This decision also indicates that the Administration MAY BE considering broader restrictions in the future. They need "latitude" to "implement more controls".

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I understand the regulatory process as much as anybody around here I would guess.

They do not have to respond to 8,000 comments, as you have somewhat conceded, this has been delayed for political reasons just like every other delay there has been since Obama got elected.

Apparently they will, but time will tell. I will know for sure when I get my response from the ATF to my comment.

An Update on 41P
    Written by ASA on January 15, 2014 - Comments

On January 14th, the Board of the American Silencer Association met with the leadership of the NFA Branch of the ATF. The meeting was cordial and productive, with the focus of the conversation centered on ATF 41P. After SHOT Show, we will post a full debrief of the meeting. For now, we would like to give you a brief update.

In all, there were 9,504 comments received on the Federal Register. Of those, around 1,000 were disqualified for vulgarity, anonymity, or non-applicability. As you know, the overwhelming majority of comments were in opposition to the proposed CLEO signoff requirement. The ASA comment can be viewed here: ASA Comment

The standard time frame for a final ruling is generally six months after the close of the comment period. However, because of the overwhelming amount of comments submitted, the final ruling will likely take at least a year to be issued. This is because each qualified comment must be responded to by the ATF in writing. With nearly 8,500 qualified comments, this will take quite some time.

After the final ruling is issued, there are generally 60 days before implementation. Until the ruling is released, we will not know if forms that are already in the transfer process will be exempt from the proposed requirements. However, if history is an example, it is likely that all forms received by the ATF prior to the implementation of the final regulation will be exempt.

The ASA is proud to represent this industry, and proud to have your support. Were it not for your comments, the CLEO signoff would have easily passed. Your efforts have made the administration think twice about requiring the antiquated and unnecessary signoff requirements for all transfers. The ASA will continue to work to ensure that it is removed. With your help, we will succeed!

http://americansilencerassociation.c...update-on-41p/

(Bucks County)

So basically the people did a Denial Service Attack against the ATF and crashed the board. Good for the people.