Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Florida Warning Shot Bill waiting Gov Signature

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...-defense-laws/

I didn't see this already posted here.

I don't personally think this is a good bill/law, seems to be a widely held belief that they are risky and violate the 4 golden rules of gun safety, and I agree.

I think it's a risky road that may set an expectation from the public for anyone charged during a self-defense shooting case.

I say the lawmakers got this one wrong.

Just my 2 cents worth
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; May 3rd, 2014 at 10:28 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Florida Warning Shot Bill waiting Gov Signature

It makes the retarded libs happy. How many times do you hear a sound bite of some mother crying that her no good piece of shit kid was killed where the clip includes something along the lines of "he could have fired a warning shot".

The issue is:
    1. Discharging a firearm in public spaces is generally illegal in most towns.
    2. If you discharge a gun to defend yourself, that is a good enough reason to ignore statement #1.

The gray area is the "warning shot". Does that fall under statement #1 or #2?

This will add statement #3: If you discharge a gun as a warning shot, that is a good enough reason to ignore statement #1.

Personally, I don't like it. As far as I'm concerned, my warning shot is you seeing the business end of my gun. Your next action will dictate mine.

Sometimes all you get is 1 round - make it count.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    It makes the retarded libs happy. How many times do you hear a sound bite of some mother crying that her no good piece of shit kid was killed where the clip includes something along the lines of "he could have fired a warning shot".

The issue is:
    1. Discharging a firearm in public spaces is generally illegal in most towns.
    2. If you discharge a gun to defend yourself, that is a good enough reason to ignore statement #1.

The gray area is the "warning shot". Does that fall under statement #1 or #2?

This will add statement #3: If you discharge a gun as a warning shot, that is a good enough reason to ignore statement #1.

Personally, I don't like it. As far as I'm concerned, my warning shot is you seeing the business end of my gun. Your next action will dictate mine.

Sometimes all you get is 1 round - make it count.
    Agreed! I couldn't help but feel this was done to placate the left as well.

(Lehigh County)

This might get people killed who don't have time to make a second shot.

It will also undoubtedly generate lots of extra work for contractors to repair bullet holes in roofs, walls, and floors.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Westmoreland County)

It will make it easier to convict people who are forced to use their guns in self defense. "did you fire a warning shot?" If you answer is no, you didnt give due warning of your intentions and might as well have shot him in the back.
    Thats my2cents.

People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

Am I reading the same article as you guys?

To me it looks like the intent of the bill is to protect people that fire a warning shot during an act of self defense. Under current Florida law, you can be charged for various things if a warning shot is fired. This helps protect people that fired a warning shot rather than just shooting at the perp. The victim just needs to hope that the warning shot is enough to scare away the perp and not get them killed, but that is another issue to discuss.

As an example, I worked with a guy that grew up in Tampa. Back in the early 80's two individuals were breaking into his vehicle late a night. He was awoken and went to his door to yell at them. When he did, one guy started to come at him with a knife. He shot into the air and they took off. He was then arrested for discharging a fire arm and ended up getting two years in jail. It seems this bill is to prevent situations like that. Not sure what the dislike is about.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post

To me it looks like the intent of the bill is to protect people that fire a warning shot during an act of self defense. Under current Florida law, you can be charged for various things if a warning shot is fired. This helps protect people that fired a warning shot rather than just shooting at the perp. The victim just needs to hope that the warning shot is enough to scare away the perp and not get them killed, but that is another issue to discuss.

As an example, I worked with a guy that grew up in Tampa. Back in the early 80's two individuals were breaking into his vehicle late a night. He was awoken and went to his door to yell at them. When he did, one guy started to come at him with a knife. He shot into the air and they took off. He was then arrested for discharging a fire arm and ended up getting two years in jail. It seems this bill is to prevent situations like that. Not sure what the dislike is about.
    Not sure of what the law was back in the '80s, but a "warning shot" in that situation today is unwarranted. He would have been better suited to fire at the perp than in the air or wherever he fired at. People tend to forget that when firing a round into the air, the round doesn't magically disappear at the top of its trajectory arc, it comes down with the same velocity as it did going up. Why do you hear of stories of people getting hit blocks away from idiots firing into the air on New Years Eve? And forget firing into the ground near the perp; what happens if the round ricochets and goes in an unintended direction? Personally, if I feel my life (or those around me) is/are in danger, and I need to draw my weapon, the situation had devolved past a "warning shot" and I will shoot to stop the threat accordingly. The only "warning" given will be verbal, after that, too damned bad...
    Last edited by Mongo85; May 4th, 2014 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo85 View Post
    Not sure of what the law was back in the '80s, but a "warning shot" in that situation today is unwarranted.
    I completely agree. My point is that if someone who is about to become a victim and makes the decision to fire a warning shot (however foolish that may be) and that IS enough to cause the perps to flee, this laws protects that person from becoming criminalized under mandatory state sentencing statutes. If you have a DA that is anti gun, they can go after the victim with mandatory sentencing. This change will help protect people from that.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post

I haven't paid close attention but I think a couple people have been severely punished for firing warning shots in Florida in recent years.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast