Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Kimber Solo question.

Don't post here much but I read often. Does anyone here own a Kimber Solo? I have carried a kel-tec P3AT everywhere for the last few years and was looking to get a better carry cartridge than the .380. I have been looking at the Solo as it is still small enough to conceal in a pocket holster and has a little better ballistics.
    To anyone who currently owns one what are you thoughts on the pistol? How is the trigger? How is the felt recoil do to the small frame? How is the accuracy, sights etc. Any thoughts or opinions from current owners are appreciated.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Kimber Solo question.

I've heard they can be picky with ammo. I've never fired one though, just what I've read. In the same price/size range I would take a serious look at the sig 938 as well. I have fired one of these and the recoil was not bad at all for a small pistol. It was very accurate as well and I think quite pocket carry friendly size wise.

(Monroe County)

A friend of mine used to have one. He sold it for a larger caliber weapon.

It was a good little gun, although I will reiterate what was said above: They can be picky with ammo. FMJ's shouldn't give you a problem, but it doesn't seem to like certain hollow points. It should be noted that Kimber reccomends replacing the recoil spring after only 1000 rounds, which makes me a little wary.

Gun is comfortable in the hand for how small it is. The grip is a little beefy, which helps a lot. Grip angle feels similar to a 1911. Recoil actually isn't bad. Like all tiny guns bigger than a 380, it is a little snappy, but compared to other 9mm pistols of similar size, it's pretty good. The steel construction adds to the weight, which is probably the biggest reason the felt recoil is reduced.

Really not a bad little shooter, but I'd be very wary about using it as a carry piece. It has a bit of a reputation for FTF's, and while that's not a big deal on the range, it could be a death sentence if it happens when you need your weapon the most.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Washington County)

I am aware of the ftf issues some owners have experienced. I would feed it Federal hi shock jhp only. Like everything else in life some reviews have been steller others not so much. Hoping for some direct owner feed back. As long as it functioned without ftf during my initial proving ground tests I would not hesitate to carry it. I have a few limbers and have had no issues with any of them even after a lot of rounds fired. Thanks for the input so far.

(Allegheny County)

had the Solo,, traded it in for a SA EMP .

I could just get the Solo to go bang often enuff , like every time I pull the trigger ..

too small for a range gun , too many FTF for a EDC , IMO..

carry the EMP ,, Sig P938 , Walther PPK/s ,, Solo just did not cut it for me .

(Lackawanna County)

I do not have a Kimber solo, but I do have their Aegis in 9mm and it has been a reliable little pistol for me, easy to shoot, accurate, mild recoil. Slightly too big for pocket carry tho. For that, I have carried my wife's Sig 238, which is the same dimensions as their 9mm 938. Hope you find what works for you
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Delaware County)

You'll probably get more/better information over at

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Dauphin County)

I do own the Kimber Solo and have had it for a couple years. Never had any trouble with it and it is pretty accurate. I typically shoot it at 15 yards offhand with 4 or 5 inch groups. With my 5" pistols I can shoot about 3 inch groups if I take my time. Not bad for an old guy. Just shot the Solo in a Back up Gun match in Morgantown, WV and did well in that one with no problems. I use the extended magazines (I have three) for the extra rounds (8) and so that I can get a third finger on the grip.

I don't consider any of the compact pistols 'range' guns. They are small and more difficult to grip than any full size. However, with any pistol, you should find one to shoot to make sure it fits your hand well.

It is a compact gun and feels nice. I carry it almost daily in a Garrett IWB holster. No real problem with field stripping, just be aware of the slide stop spring. It has a thumb safety which you can use or not use, your choice; which may prevent a ND if your shirt or something would catch the trigger while holstering.

The only issue with the pistol is when inserting a full magazine. If the slide is closed when you insert the magazine and then try to chamber a new round the slide requires a hard, fast rack to overcome the friction of the top round. If you try to pull it back slowly it will be very difficult to rack. This is not a real problem for me as I always reload from slide lock.

Bob

(Monroe County)

I have a sig p238 and I love it! Dont carry it much because I prefer my 9mm M & P or my 45 Kimber. But in the small of my back, at 16oz, and a great shooter I love it. It did take awhile to shoot well with it though. Someone recommended the extended magizine with the pinky extention with the 8 shot cap and it worked wonders, but expensive at around $40. I have heard the same about the P938 and that it is a fantastic piece. I know a retired cop that just got one and he loves it. Both are pricey. 9mm aroun $725 or so. But the Kimber is expensive also.