Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Faxon ARAK-21 Review

My build:

First Impression:
    This thing goes together like a fine watch. Everything is tight and smooth. I am very impressed with both the design and the build quality. The muzzle brake is Faxon's own design and works very well. I may experiment with a different muzzle device at some point (flash suppressor instead of muzzle brake), but for right now it's fine.

Fit to Lower:
    The ARAK-21 locked right up into my CMT Billet lower. The lower has an upper tension adjustment screw. The fit between my lower and the ARAK-21 is absolutely perfect. If I wanted to, I'm sure I could adjust out a few thousandths worth of play, but I don't think it's worth the effort.

The Range:
    At first, I did one round magazines to see where the rifle needed to be on the gas adjustment (think FAL, but with 3 positions). The middle position gets it done, as I suspected it would.

It was cold (high 40s, low 50s) and rainy with a breeze, so I didn't spend a ton of time getting the sights dialed in. If I hit the rock I was aiming at on the 100 yard berm, I was happy. Once I was satisfied that the rock was dead, I took my chances at the 200 yard steel silhouettes. BANG! - BWONG. BANG! - BWONG. BANG! - BWONG. I can't wait to see what this does on paper when I try for more than just a positive hit.

I chose the heavy contour barrel. The guys at Faxon say it weighs about 6-8 ounces more than the medium contour barrel. I think this helps to eat the recoil because there is very little of it. I was told that the recoil impulse on a piston gun will be different than that of a "standard" gas AR. It's difficult for me to notice any difference. I don't have a whole lot of experience behind the trigger of a gas AR, and I have both an FAL and an AK, so the felt impulse is nothing new to me.

Brass ejects to about 4:30, 10-15 feet. The brass doesn't get beat to hell on its way out, so reloaders will be happy. The brass deflector is plastic so there are no brass marks left on the receiver behind the ejection port.

I fired 60 rounds total. Since this is a piston gun, the fire control group has absolutely no crap to clean. It literally looks like it did before I pulled the trigger on round #1.

Faults / Shortcomings:
    If someone pressed me to point out a fault, the only one that I can think of is the markings on the adjustable gas regulator. There are 3 positions. Each is marked with a single notch ( | ) . Having markings to indicate positions 1, 2, and 3 would be helpful. There is not a lot of room for numbers, but even if it is as simple as |, ||, and |||, it would make a big difference.

Final Thoughts:
    If you've been looking at the ARAK-21 and you are still on the fence, get off. Give them your money. IMHO, it is well worth it.

Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Default Re: Faxon ARAK-21 Review

Accuracy in 5 shot groups at 100 yards, with actual measurements, not estimations. That will help me get off of the fence.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Butler County)

Kinda pricey, maybe if it's a one holer.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the write up. It's a cool setup & I like to see companies doing different things on the AR "platform" (I know some people hate that term). Too many products out there are doing the same thing as a generic milspec part for double the price.

How does the balance feel? Is it really front heavy? I've been a bit weight-phobic since my first build was so loaded down. Though, I'd probably be going for the shorter barrel lengths though if I end up getting one.

Would also be interested in seeing what it can do on paper when you get a chance.

I'd like to see the feed ramps. The one thing I dislike about the AR is how far the bullet has to travel up into the chamber from the magazine. It's one thing the AK has over the AR, being this thing is the 'ARAK', I'd hope that design was passed down, but I'm not sure how being that it uses an AR lower and AR mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    I'd like to see the feed ramps. The one thing I dislike about the AR is how far the bullet has to travel up into the chamber from the magazine. It's one thing the AK has over the AR, being this thing is the 'ARAK', I'd hope that design was passed down, but I'm not sure how being that it uses an AR lower and AR mags.
    I don't know if this helps, but the front pivot pin actually locks into the end of the barrel. I'll see what I can do to get a picture of the feed ramps.

ETA:
    Here's a picture. Forgive the lighting. I had to play with some settings to get the thing to show up with any kind of usefulness given the LED flashlight I was using. I don't know how this compares to a standard AR bolt, but there is about 1/2" between the face of the barrel extension (what you see with a bit of oil on it) and the face of the barrel itself (chamber).
    Last edited by daschnoz; April 30th, 2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added information about the feed ramps.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Accuracy in 5 shot groups at 100 yards, with actual measurements, not estimations. That will help me get off of the fence.
    Smallest group I've shot with mine using the 5.56 barrel at 100yds was five shots in just over half an inch. I was using some handloads my father made up. The .300BLK barrel was right at half an inch at 100yds. Also using handloads.

(Luzerne County)

This is the first I have seen of these. They look cool and if they are shooting that well then it could be a good pick up.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Smallest group I've shot with mine using the 5.56 barrel at 100yds was five shots in just over half an inch. I was using some handloads my father made up. The .300BLK barrel was right at half an inch at 100yds. Also using handloads.
    Well dang, that sounds pretty good to me. Will have to start freeing up some funds...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Of course you have one!
    <a href=http://vigitac.com target=_blank>http://vigitac.com</a>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast