Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm always in the 7-8 o'clock area, what am I doing wrong?

Every time I shoot any pistol, I am always grouping 7-8 o'clock. Its very consistent between pistols. I also get better and tighter groups doing rapid fire, than I do if I take my time...
    I have tried swapping the grip out on my XDS, thinking the larger grip is deflecting my trigger finger when I pull.

I have been shooting pistols for over twenty years and all my accurate pistols seem to group in the same area. mark II, XDS, and PT-99

This weekend after growing tired of practicing fundamentals, I drifted the rear sight to the right, now I'm am right on the center line with quick follow ups on a 7 round magazine, and about 3" line, not perfect, but I can walk it where I want to on the follow up at about 10 yards.
    The rear sight was drifted a heavy 1/8" , it looks funky, but its working well. I did not shoot any further, but still wonder what I may be doing wrong and how to correct it. I have smaller hands, size 9 gloves, and used the smaller grip.
    The only thing I can think of, is I typically have always used my finger tip, more on the pad of my finger tip, not the first knuckle, and I learned this shooting rifles 40 years ago, I wonder if there is a slight deflection?
    Last edited by tollster; April 29th, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: I'm always in the 7-8 o'clock area, what am I doing wrong?

I think that's anticipating recoil?

(Bucks County)

If you find a cure, let me know. I do the same thing. I changed the point of contact on my trigger finger, and same results. I drifted the rear sight a little on my M43 and it put me in line. There has to be a reason.

Usually shooting low and to the left indicates bad trigger control (right handed shooting). There are other possibilities, but if it's across multiple firearms, it's you that's the problem.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Berks County)

I'm not sure what is causing it for you, it could be several things or a combination of several things.

Here is something to try to see how you react to your trigger pull. "Be sure to use a clear firearm" "firearm safety is your responsibility" Take a dime and balance it on the front sight and squeeze the trigger. You should be able to balance the dime without it falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Is that common? I don't flinch, and always feel confident when shooting, its something that doesn't register I guess is what I trying to say, I never really think about it ..., would I see a difference between the first shot and the quick follow ups?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    This might help.

Last edited by JAKIII; April 29th, 2014 at 07:03 PM.

It has to be jerking the trigger, I know my XDS has very limited travel, and at 20 yards I am always 2-3 inches out from bull in the 7-8 oclock position..

Its a hard habit to break for sure, I guess I could account it to like trying to teach one of us here to drive in the left hand lane like they do over seas.. very difficult after shooting so long..

(Montgomery County)

Trigger....and stare at that front sight until your eyes bleed. Oh....dry fire dry fire dry fire in between range trips. Did i mention dry fire?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by tripleS View Post
    I'm not sure what is causing it for you, it could be several things or a combination of several things.

Here is something to try to see how you react to your trigger pull. "Be sure to use a clear firearm" "firearm safety is your responsibility" Take a dime and balance it on the front sight and squeeze the trigger. You should be able to balance the dime without it falling.
    This is what I was thinking about and it's a problem I have. I call it anticipating the recoil but the chart that was posted says jerking

I get it under control and it'll reappear eventually. Back to dry fire training and gone again. It's so slight it's not noticeable that you are doing it until you dry fire with a dime or focusing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast