Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default M2 carbine receiver

Can a M2 carbine barreled receiver without trigger group be made into a semi auto legally without being demilled first?

(York County)

Default Re: M2 carbine receiver

"once a machine gun, always a machine gun"

this rule applies to any receiver marked M2. dropping in a semi-auto trigger group does not make it a semi-auto in a legal sense. might be nobody will notice for decades, but it would be a ticking bomb in your gun case that could cost you 10 years.

I was thinking the same thing but, what about the MG42's and 1919's that were converted to semi? I'm wondering if it has to be cut first?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Can a M2 carbine barreled receiver without trigger group be made into a semi auto legally without being demilled first?
    Nope. Never. Once a machine gun always a machine gun.

bogey1
    Re: M2 carbine receiver
    I was thinking the same thing but, what about the MG42's and 1919's that were converted to semi? I'm wondering if it has to be cut first?

The receivers in those are new or have the entire right side plate removed and a new semi auto side plate welded on. The right side plate also has all the info on it, by cutting it off the 1919's/M2 the are demilled and no longer a machine gun.

(Allegheny County)

True that on the once an MG... Meanwhile, IIRC - the M2 carbines may not have been a receiver mod as much as an assemblage of correct internals.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    True that on the once an MG... Meanwhile, IIRC - the M2 carbines may not have been a receiver mod as much as an assemblage of correct internals.
    Correct most of the M-1 carbines were converted to M-2 after WWII. There are millions more M-1's that were converted to M-2's then new made M-2's.

(Berks County)

Different animals and process, the 1919 right side plate was ruled to be the "receiver" and were torched and not included in the parts kits.

This is where all of the various manufacturers stepped up. I built mine on an OOW 80% plate 10 years ago now. Then the internals needed to be milled to work with the semi RSP.

The 42 on the other hand receivers were torched, before you could weld them up you needed to make them semi only with various mods to be legal. A few outfits popped up that build receivers. I sold off my 42 kits, too much for me, I think I have a 34 laying around somewhere though....
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Different animals and process, the 1919 right side plate was ruled to be the "receiver" and were torched and not included in the parts kits.

This is where all of the various manufacturers stepped up. I built mine on an OOW 80% plate 10 years ago now. Then the internals needed to be milled to work with the semi RSP.

The 42 on the other hand receivers were torched, before you could weld them up you needed to make them semi only with various mods to be legal. A few outfits popped up that build receivers. I sold off my 42 kits, too much for me, I think I have a 34 laying around somewhere though....
    I think the trigger group for the m2 is the nfa part as the m1 is the same receiver as the m2. Why not just cut the receiver and weld it just like other demilled guns?

(Delaware County)

I think the trigger group for the m2 is the nfa part as the m1 is the same receiver as the m2. Why not just cut the receiver and weld it just like other demilled guns?
    Receivers and trigger groups are same ,M2 has a few extra parts . You are missing the part that the receiver is marked M-2.Thats a machine gun.Your other parts kits have the right side plate removed,that's were the markings are. The rest is just parts . Cut out the M-2 markings and the rest of the receiver is good,of course it's junk now .

(Allegheny County)

Pre-May 86 there was a guy from Michigan that came to every PGCA show and sold the "M2 parts kits"; included a parts diagram and all but the one "magic part" needed for a drop-in M2.

(As an aside, pre-May 86 was the golden age for NFA; can kits and replacement internal parts everywhere, new factory-made MGs from SWD, MK Arms, Fleming, Vollmer, Colt, lotsa folks, and anyone could F1 guns from parts sets... anyway)

I had his M2 kit, my Underwood M1 from Woolworths, and a line on the missing "magic part" - then a local CL2 dealer dropped the bomb on me that they just passed the May 86 F1 ban.

Sold the M1 and kit as they were useless.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.