I think you may have something there.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Local guy shoots himself with a holstered glock

Quote Originally Posted by deangelo1290@comcast.net View Post
    Maybe he was playing with his gun?
    And his Glock?

(Centre County)

I'll buy the Ghost Glock at a low price!

Its the guys own fault. He messed up, thats all there is to it. Its probably good no one else was harmed.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    In days of old when guns were revolvers, I never heard advice to carry only 4 rounds in a d/a six-shooter....empty under the hammer for dropped-gun safety; and empty in the next-up chamber which would duplicate the Glock "problem". Wonder how come.

OK. Transfer bars eliminated the dropped on hammer thing, but the danger of no safety on a double-action trigger pull still remained as alleged re the Glock.
    I like Glocks but they aren't like revolvers. They just aren't. Anyone who has shot both must know that, so why try to kid yourself? The pressure required to work the trigger is different, the travel is different, there's no motion of a hammer or cylinder to tip you off that something bad is about to happen.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I like Glocks but they aren't like revolvers. They just aren't. Anyone who has shot both must know that, so why try to kid yourself? The pressure required to work the trigger is different, the travel is different, there's no motion of a hammer or cylinder to tip you off that something bad is about to happen.
    I think his point was that like a Glock a revolver has no safety so its the modern equivilant of an old style revolver where there was no safeties and the hammer would rest on a live round without a modern style firing pin block.

I don't think the comparison is so much mechanical as it is........historical equivalents? As to where cow pokes had the choice of carrying without the hammer resting on a round or not. Like today its one in the pipe or not.

I tell ya what, theres no use in carrying an unloaded gun and theres not use in one that wont go bang when the triggers pulled.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm! View Post
    I think his point was that like a Glock a revolver has no safety so its the modern equivilant of an old style revolver where there was no safeties and the hammer would rest on a live round without a modern style firing pin block.

I don't think the comparison is so much mechanical as it is........historical equivalents? As to where cow pokes had the choice of carrying without the hammer resting on a round or not. Like today its one in the pipe or not.

I tell ya what, theres no use in carrying an unloaded gun and theres not use in one that wont go bang when the triggers pulled.

I could understand these kinds of comments in threads where a split-second draw and fire saved someone's life. It's bizarre to read them in thread after thread reporting incidents where carrying with a round chambered has caused needless injury or death.

I'm well aware that there's a tactical advantage to +1 carry. There's also a cost. Threads like this are a reminder of that cost. Platitudes about the supposed uselessness of "unloaded" firearms don't change that reality.
    Last edited by Philbert; May 4th, 2014 at 06:15 PM.

(York County)

Hey guys, we can come up with theories all day but the bottom line is this -
    IT ONLY GOES BANG WHEN YOU PULL THE TRIGGER!!!!!!!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I could understand these kinds of comments in threads where a split-second draw and fire saved someone's life. It's bizarre to read them in thread after thread reporting incidents where carrying with a round chambered has caused needless injury or death.

I'm well aware that there's a tactical advantage to +1 carry. There's also a cost. Threads like this are a reminder of that cost. Platitudes about the supposed uselessness of "unloaded" firearms don't change that reality.
    Well, I mean the cost of not carrying one in the chamber could cost you your life and all it means is that you have to be a bit more carefull than you already should be.

It saved Zimmerman, and I bet alot more people we havn't heard in the media about.

Glocks are made to be carried loaded. Its the user who dousn't know how to carry/handle the Glock/Smith/Springfield/Sig/Serbgun/bazooka thats the problem

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I'm with this guy.
    Likewise.

Unless you believe in magic, there has to be a causal mechanism.

What is the causal mechanism for a discharge of a holstered firearm (in an IWB holster) when somebody reaches into his pocket?

What was the holster made of, cheese cloth?

I have used belt slide holsters, as well as IWBs (Don Hume and my own handmade ones), and with the gun properly holstered with the trigger guard covered, I can't imagine ANY way in which the gun could go off from reaching into ones pocket.

The WORST holster I've EVER owned was a cheap Bianchi IWB which I bought for my Glock 19, the day I picked up my Ohio CHL. I was afraid of an ND from HOLSTERING it in the flimsy Bianchi, but once it was IN the holster, I can't imagine how it would go off.

There has to be more to the story.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast