Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Open Carry with LTCF Illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfecom View Post
    I was informed today by the county sheriff's office that it is illegal for me to OC if I have a LTCF. I did not realize there was a board just for Chester County but posted how I came to be informed about this in this post:

(I am sorry for the link to another post on this site)
    http://forum.pafoa.org/search.php?searchid=6299172

Has anyone else in Chester County run into this? If so, any advice?

Thank you very much.
    You think that's bad? I got my driver's license renewed and now I'm not allowed to walk anywhere, EVER again!! My wife is so pissed that I am driving the Manx through the living room!

(Chester County)

Stopped in to Bunny's office last Monday to renew. Deputy asked me, "if I took any firearms courses recently and was I aware of the provisions of the Castle Doctrine?" I said, "no" and "yes" respectively. I wasn't expecting that, but figured whatever.

Deputy took my picture and said, "we're done, you're free to go".

(Beaver County)

Feel free to print this out and take it to the the Barney Fife who told you it's illegal to open carry since you have your LTCF. Make sure you talk to the sheriff and make sure the rest of the deputies all have their training up to date.

MPOETC OC 2009 Update
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

(Chester County)

For someone that likes to toot her own horn about how "pro gun" she is, Sheriff Welsh is, at best, a Fudd.

Won't issue non-resident LCTF's
    Won't do transfers
    Won't do instant LCTF's
    Won't do off-hours LCTF's
    Allows her deputies to be used to bar firearms from far more county property than legally permitted
    Insists on giving a brochure of mostly-incorrect legal advice with every LCTF her office mails out.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

(Chester County)

I was informed today by the county sheriff's office that it is illegal for me to OC if I have a LTCF. I did not realize there was a board just for Chester County but posted how I came to be informed about this in this post:
    Just to be clear, did you speak with a Sheriff? Or did someone at the office tell you this? Because that's pretty ridiculous...

(Monroe County)

This is easy. Ask them to show you the Statute that says that. Or better yet any Statute that mentions Open Carry anywhere besides Philly. Challenge their incorrect information to the end.

It is a License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF) NOT a Concealed Carry Permit (CCP).

Also, have them read the PA Constitution, Article 1, Section 21....The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Northampton County)

I'm curious if the OP specifically asked the sheriff if he can now OC, prompting the sheriff to load him up with BS. A question like this suggest that the person asking is not well versed, I believe the sheriff knows the law but just wanted to take advantage of the OP by misinforming him and furthering his anti OC BS.

(Chester County)

Flyingjunkie – Thank you for the link to the MPOETC OC 2009. Very good read. Do all LEOs, including state, take this training? If so, then I don’t understand how they can state that OC is illegal with a LTCF when question 1 clearly states you can OC with or with a valid license. I am going to send a copy of that to my buddy to give to his LEO friend.

F_bomb - I cannot say for sure that I spoke with a sheriff, but the gentleman who answered the phone did identify himself as Officer so and so. (Did not have anything to write down his name when I called)

I am planning on calling Sheriff Welsh directly and asking her for clarification. The plan is to try to get an official letter from her clarifying the issue.

30Glock - When I called I told him about my conversation with my buddy and how I did not believe the law states it is illegal. Then I asked what the county sheriff’s office had to say about this. That is when he told me it was in fact illegal and I would be arrested on the spot if they saw me OC. No matter how much I explained the law and what it said he just kept saying that I was looking for loop holes.

It just frustrates me, because the law is so clear I don’t understand how the ones who are supposed to enforce the law do not understand it. But many are like the officer who told me that it is not their job to explain the law, they are just to follow it. If you can’t explain it, then how do you follow it? As an NRA certified instructor and safety officer, I must follow all the rule of a range when working in an official role at that range. How can I do that if I don’t understand the rules for that range?

The sad thing is that while I know my legal right, my mind keeps coming back to that whole “you may be right but we can revoke your license if we want” mentality that I received from the gentleman I spoke with.

Again, thank you to everyone who has provided comments and feedback.
    Last edited by wolfecom; April 29th, 2014 at 08:46 AM.

(Chester County)

I cannot say for sure that I spoke with a sheriff, but the gentleman who answered the phone did identify himself as Officer so and so. (Did not have anything to write down his name when I called)
    You didn't speak with the Sheriff. There is only 1 Sheriff and she is no gentleman.

(Chester County)

LOL - Yes, you are correct. Bad choice of words. I spoke with an officer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast