Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Springer 1911a1 factory comp - change barrel or remove comp?

I have a govt 1911a1 comp from springfield I'd like to shoot without the compensator. The comp has a set screw that I can remove, but I can't remove the comp. I've only tried it with my hands.

Is it hard to remove and replace if I want to use it? Or does it make better sense to get a second barrel.

I don't need match grade accuracy and I'm not a gunsmith so I'm looking for a drop in barrel.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Springer 1911a1 factory comp - change barrel or remove comp?

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    I have a govt 1911a1 comp from springfield I'd like to shoot without the compensator. The comp has a set screw that I can remove, but I can't remove the comp. I've only tried it with my hands.

Is it hard to remove and replace if I want to use it? Or does it make better sense to get a second barrel.

I don't need match grade accuracy and I'm not a gunsmith so I'm looking for a drop in barrel.
    Can you take a picture of the comp with the slide locked back. I need to get a better idea of the set up to answer your questions.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Berks County)

The barrel should be threaded, remove the set screw, BUT...it is probably locktited on and may need some heat to loosen up.

Though I have heard with some oddball manufacturers they silversoldered them on.

Personally I would get a "new" barrel.

"Drop in" is subjective with 1911's....they rarely drop in, usually require fitting and fitting by someone who knows wtf they are doing with a 1911.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    The barrel should be threaded, remove the set screw, BUT...it is probably locktited on and may need some heat to loosen up.

Though I have heard with some oddball manufacturers they silversoldered them on.

Personally I would get a "new" barrel.

"Drop in" is subjective with 1911's....they rarely drop in, usually require fitting and fitting by someone who knows wtf they are doing with a 1911.
    ^^This, even if the part says "drop in" please expect some minor fitting, and yes they should know what they are doing!!

Think the loctite thing is a strong posibility, probably only blue so just some minor heat from a heat gun will do the trick

(Bucks County)

This pic is awful so I'll have to try again, but it might be enough.
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    This pic is awful so I'll have to try again, but it might be enough.
    ha, you're going to need a better picture and lay off the coffee or meth when taking the picture next time hahahaha