Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gun History

(Montgomery County)

Default New Gun History

Stupid question alert *****

I am a relatively new shooter - shooting for almost 1 year now and I am in the market for my second gun. I research everything to the nth degree and I have found something previously owned at an online broker for the right price. My question is ... how do I know whether or not that gun has been used in a crime - and can I ever be responsible for past crimes once that gun is registered in my name? Background checks are for the applicant only, not the gun, correct? Please enlighten me

Has anyone had experience with Budsgunshop.com?

Thanks for your input

Default Re: New Gun History

Im a fan of Buds. Never had a problem with them. You can do a search and will find several threads about them.

(Delaware County)

I don't think a person can get a gun "ran" if that is what you are asking. I know a few people posted that they had a leo buddy check a gun out for them but that is unethical and an abuse of their power.

Guns are not registered to anyone but there is a sales data base that can be used as a registry of handguns. That is also an abuse of power. If you have the recipt that should make it easy to send any investigation in a different direction.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLab5 View Post
    Stupid question alert *****

I am a relatively new shooter - shooting for almost 1 year now and I am in the market for my second gun. I research everything to the nth degree and I have found something previously owned at an online broker for the right price. My question is ... how do I know whether or not that gun has been used in a crime - and can I ever be responsible for past crimes once that gun is registered in my name? Background checks are for the applicant only, not the gun, correct? Please enlighten me

Has anyone had experience with Budsgunshop.com?

Thanks for your input
    Sorry, I should have titled this thread USED Gun History....sorry for the confustion

(Montgomery County)

There is no Carfax service for guns.
    But purchasing from a dealer, FFL, you have a clear chain of custody so that no one could reasonably accuse you of doing something with the gun prior to your purchase. Oh, an internet sale is probably more documented than a regular local sale, since it is going through two FFLs and two states.

Budsguns.com is a reputable online dealer. They often have great deals on old police trade ins.

Before you buy, find out how much it will cost you to get it transferred. Some gun shops do not like doing "internet transfers" (Buds has to ship the gun to a local FFL who will run the buyer through PICS). They consider it a lost sale to them and with don't do them or they charge quite a lot of money for the transfer (I know one that is $40 or 10% of the cost whichever is higher). Call around, there are some out there that charge less than others. Also, some don't deal with certain online stores at all, so call and ask.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I don't think a person can get a gun "ran" if that is what you are asking. I know a few people posted that they had a leo buddy check a gun out for them but that is unethical and an abuse of their power.

Guns are not registered to anyone but there is a sales data base that can be used as a registry of handguns. That is also an abuse of power. If you have the recipt that should make it easy to send any investigation in a different direction.
    The state has a handgun "database". When you fill out your SP-4 (handgun form) a copy is sent to the state. It is entered into NCIC from my understanding. Granted, even working in the business it is hard to get a straight answer from anyone. That system update does take about 4-6 months from what I was told by the PSP. The dealer you buy a gun from is required to keep records on file for $20 years. Yes, stolen guns are sold to dealers and then sold to other customers. Sadly, we can't run them, but the upside is is that it doesn't happen very often. We also will get called with info on stolen guns from the local PD if a gun in the area is stolen so we know to look out for it. The cops usually do their best to prevent stolen gun sales, as do the dealers. Hope this answered some questions for you :-)
    Abby

I've been away for a while. Is there is is there not a lost and stolen database? I am under the impression that LE can "run" a gun for lost or stolen status. I assume a clean gun comes up as no record, i.e. not lost or stolen.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Lancaster County)

Buds is good to go. My experiences with them has been 95%+ positive.
    Johnnie F.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    I've been away for a while. Is there is is there not a lost and stolen database? I am under the impression that LE can "run" a gun for lost or stolen status. I assume a clean gun comes up as no record, i.e. not lost or stolen.
    What if I legitimately sell my firearm to someone else and they use it in a crime down the road. Will it ever be tracked back to me?

Or....what if I legitimately purchase a used gun from someone and down the road it is discovered that the gun was used in a crime? Can I be held accountable in some way?

Do all parties of a used firearm sale get copies of the transfer paperwork containing the serial number?

I hope I am not over-thinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLab5 View Post
    What if I legitimately sell my firearm to someone else and they use it in a crime down the road. Will it ever be tracked back to me?

Or....what if I legitimately purchase a used gun from someone and down the road it is discovered that the gun was used in a crime? Can I be held accountable in some way?

Do all parties of a used firearm sale get copies of the transfer paperwork containing the serial number?

I hope I am not over-thinking this.
    As I understand it, with a handgun in PA, there is a paper trail. A FFL will have the transfer in their bound book.

As for held accountable, I suppose it depends on how a prosecutor views the circumstances, or their personal belief/agenda towards firearms. You'd most likely prevail in the end....after thousands of dollars and hours.

Yes, the SN is on a transfer form and as a seller it's in your best interest to retain that record. Or so it seems to me.

Here in WI it is legal for private sales of both hand and long guns between non-prohibited state residents. And as far as I can tell we have no problems with "dirty" guns floating around between lawful owners. And of course, any sales to the prohibited is the same here as anywhere else, no law is going to stop them.

Me. I'll do a private sale to someone known to me but would insist on at least a bill of sale to someone not known to me, but that would depend on the circumstances. I sold a shotgun to a fellow whom I had never met....but it was during a trap shoot and he was no stranger to the place. Money, gun, done.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast