Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Hunting and Guns

My question could probably fit in a couple categories on the forum, so my apologies if it seems like it belongs elsewhere, or has been answered elsewhere. That disclaimer aside...

I am an active sportsman in PA. My chief activity outdoors is hunting, usually on PA state game lands. I have an LTCF. I have grown concerned after seeing bears on state game lands and having been told by a wildlife officer that there are too many bears in the areas I often hunt in (Somerset by the prison for example). What kind of gun should I get? I want a backup against humans and dangerous game when I am only armed with a 12 gauge and No. 6 shot. Or no long arm at all like when I'm checking out places to hunt later. What are my options? Should I open carry?

Also, I am a bit confused about the law on state land. I know state parks are off limits, but what about game land and other state land? Also, does anyone know what the status is of the Pittsburgh to Cumberland Railway trails? Are they federal land? State?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Hunting and Guns

Quote Originally Posted by panther76 View Post
    My question could probably fit in a couple categories on the forum, so my apologies if it seems like it belongs elsewhere, or has been answered elsewhere. That disclaimer aside...

I am an active sportsman in PA. My chief activity outdoors is hunting, usually on PA state game lands. I have an LTCF. I have grown concerned after seeing bears on state game lands and having been told by a wildlife officer that there are too many bears in the areas I often hunt in (Somerset by the prison for example). What kind of gun should I get? I want a backup against humans and dangerous game when I am only armed with a 12 gauge and No. 6 shot. Or no long arm at all like when I'm checking out places to hunt later. What are my options? Should I open carry?

Also, I am a bit confused about the law on state land. I know state parks are off limits, but what about game land and other state land? Also, does anyone know what the status is of the Pittsburgh to Cumberland Railway trails? Are they federal land? State?
    357mag and higher gun, hardcast heavy slugs.. semi-wadcutters, keith type slugs, hard round nose.. you want penetration - period. A FMJ is more effective on a thick skin/fur/fatty critter than a slug that opens up and doesn't poke a hole thru the internal organs. You want to be able to break through bones for the major organs..

If you have your LTCF - open/concealed matters nothing at all. ..just carry a handgun if you get one. I personally would carry concealed when not hunting to help distinguish from hiking/scouting and poaching. An over-zealous GC officer could make things look like you're hunting though(it has happened). Gamelands are fine, same with state forests.

A lot of the rails-to-trails things were turned over to the county or local municipalities.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 8th, 2008 at 08:43 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

10mm Auto for a pistol, .44 mag or better for a wheelgun.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

I have a .357 mag revolver, in a 6" barrel, note a 4" barrel would be much easier to conceal.
    I can reliably empty the .357 mag into a very small target even with hot loads, almost as fast as an autoloader, the 6” barrel gives you a longer sighting plane to shoot at longer distances. I wouldn't think twice about taking a shot at anything out to 50 yards with it.

I didn’t buy a 44 mag handgun because everyone that I have shot other than a maga ported guns or shooting mild reloads has just to much kick for me to hang on to, I personally can not get a second, third etc shot off reliable. 44 mag is to much gun for me to use other than at the range.

If I was buy a hand gun just for hunting I would buy at least 10” barrel 44 mag single shot or a revolver and would probably have a scope on it. I have used other peoples 44 mag configured like that and have hit my fair share of water jugs with it at 100 yards.

The choice is what do you really want the firearm for hunting or personal defense, I choose the .357 mag as the comprise choice, kind of wish I got the 4” barrel for concealable but when I hunt I almost open carry, so I don’t care either way. Autoloaders pistols are not legal for hunting in PA. So it either a single shot, a derringer, or a revolver if you ever want to use it for hunting. Note most self defense situations are extremely close range measured in feet not yards, where hunting is measured in yards and not feet.

(Dauphin County)

I carry a tarus 605 .357 mag. 2" barrel and 2-3 of the 5 chambers are shotshells. Where I hunt i usually see bears every time i go to my feeder during most of the year. I think it would be unlikely that a black bear would come after a human unless there were cubs nearby. I usually se them running the other way when I see them. If the sound of the shotshells fails to scare away a bear then 2 rounds to the face should do it.

(Franklin County)

I carry a 357 mag. Another option is to carry a can of that bear pepper spray.
    here is just one example
    http://www.udap.com/product.htm
    In God We Trust............................

(Allegheny County)

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I will have to try and "test fire" a 10mm auto and a .44 mag revolver before I make up my mind. Right now I'm leaning towards getting a 10mm auto, maybe a 10mm Glock, and CC it.

I'm thinking it would lesson the chance of being accused of "game poaching", something I hadn't even thought about. I have never fired a 10mm before, but I've fired a .44 mag and don't think I can handle one for more than one shot accurately or quickly. Go ahead call me a wimp, I'm just being honest.

For the time being, I have a S&W 640 in .357 mag that I could carry. I just wasn't convinced that it was "enough gun", both because of the caliber, but also because it's a five shot snubby. Better than no gun, or my 9mm though.

Any suggestions on a specific factory ammo that would be good for the purpose, in .357 mag? What about for 10mm? I don't own a reloading press, so I'm pretty much limited to factory loads. I guess any high velocity FMJ would be better than my usual carry-load of JHP.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Here is TWO bear attacks in WV in a month period, Bear attacks are usually very rare, but they do happen.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...son-carry.html
    Wow. I couldn't believe this comment from the article:

"They're very docile animals," said Chris Ryan, a bear biologist for the state Division of Natural Resources. "We've never had human injuries where someone got bitten like this. This bear had probably grown accustomed to people and the guy may have startled it."

I bet this biologist guy is a granola eating tree-hugger type. What an idiot. Like it is the poor guy's fault for "provoking" an attack by living in his own home or being in his own yard? I'm all for conservation and wildlife management, but dangerous predators are dangerous predators.

Sorry, the Great White Shark, or Grizzly, or insert your dangerous animal of choice, isn't "misunderstood". It's an eating machine, and they eat whatever they think will make an easy meal. And people are pretty much an easy meal if they aren't armed. It isn't "our" fault for being in "their" habitat.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by panther76 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I will have to try and "test fire" a 10mm auto and a .44 mag revolver before I make up my mind. Right now I'm leaning towards getting a 10mm auto, maybe a 10mm Glock, and CC it.

I'm thinking it would lesson the chance of being accused of "game poaching", something I hadn't even thought about. I have never fired a 10mm before, but I've fired a .44 mag and don't think I can handle one for more than one shot accurately or quickly. Go ahead call me a wimp, I'm just being honest.

For the time being, I have a S&W 640 in .357 mag that I could carry. I just wasn't convinced that it was "enough gun", both because of the caliber, but also because it's a five shot snubby. Better than no gun, or my 9mm though.

Any suggestions on a specific factory ammo that would be good for the purpose, in .357 mag? What about for 10mm? I don't own a reloading press, so I'm pretty much limited to factory loads. I guess any high velocity FMJ would be better than my usual carry-load of JHP.
    For the 357mag - 158gr-180gr slugs.. "Buffalo Bore" makes some good loads for mean-critter defense/hunting. Depending on firearm.. Some are pretty stout loads and you'd want a heavy duty firearm.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#357

The 41mag is a good stop-gap between 357 and 44mags. Heavier slugs than 357, but less recoil than 44mag.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

if you want a semi auto why not go with a .45 ? 10mm is closer to a .40 ...

personally if i was to carry a pistol with me for protection from bear it would be the 44 mag with a 6 inch barrel carried openly , get a quality holster that lets you get to it quickly bears are ALLOT faster than you think...
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast