Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Case trimmer suggestions?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good case trimmer?

Looking to mainly start with my 30-06 which I use as my hunting rifle as well as my target/long range gun.

Also plan on using it for .223 for my bolt.

Don't really want to spend a ton for not a lot of rounds (heard it's not necessary to trim pistol brass, which is what I'd mostly reload).

Also, should I trim cases for the .223 for my AR? I planned on trimming all my bolt stuff (setting aside maybe 50 rounds of .223 for groundhogs, the rest strictly for the AR), but wasn't sure if case length would be a factor in a .22/5.56 semi auto.

I was looking at the WFT but it seems I'd have to buy 2 (one for .223 and one for 30-06)? In which case....140 bucks is a little steep.

Anyone's opinions on the matter?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Case trimmer suggestions?

Yes you need to trim your 223/556 brass to size if it's not in spec.

If you're trimming low quantities of brass you can get by with using the Lee trimmers mounted in a drill for little money.

If you intend to do some quantity shooting then buy the WFT. If you want reproducible sizes after trimming then buy the WFT. I bought my first one and after messing with the other stuff including Lee zip trim, RCBS table top, etc I will never go back unless I'm doing a short run of something and then I'll go with the lee mounted in a drill.

Just my experiences.

(Somerset County)

I've been using the Lyman Universal Trimmer that comes in their kits since about 1979. I did get the adapter unit that allows you to use a drill instead of the hand crank.

Dale

(Tioga County)

I recently made the choice to go with the WFT for 308 and 223 and possibly 300 blackout.

I figured for the amount of brass I was going to do it was the way to go. For hundreds of pieces of brass I could not imagine hand cranking all of it every month.

For other calibers that I shoot small lots of, I will probably get a manual trimmer to do those. 6.5 Swedish or 7.5 Swiss would be an example of that. No point in getting a WFT for those.

So I think it just depends on how much manual work you want to do, how much brass you will process per month and how much you want to spend.

(Bucks County)

For where you are and the low volumes you are suggesting, these Lee Tools are definitely the way to go, especially if you have a drill that will stand up by itself. There are no adjustments that need to be made - the cases are trimmed to recommended trim-to length.

The only issue to watch is eventually the case length gauge wears down as it rubs against the collet, leading to shorter trim lengths. If/when that happens you spend a couple of dollars for a replacement gauge.

If your volumes increase and/or other case prep steps slide in to your approach, consider the RCBS Universal Case Prep Center. The Universal case holder means you don't need to find your caliber-specific case holder. The micrometer adjustable case trimmer allows extremely small adjustments to be made, giving you exactly the case length you want, and the cutting head is 100% visible and easy to clean while in the middle of trimming. These are very difficult to do on, eg, the WFT. Finally six other case prep tools can be used on case #1 while case #2 is being trimmed.

I've tried a number of trimmers and like the Fosters the best. It's quick and simple to use.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Farbmeister View Post
    It is junk, I have one. After a few hundred rounds it will not hold a consistant case length. The debur blades are basically useless.

If you are going to be trimming far more .223 than 30-06. I would get the WFT for the .223/5.56 and get the Lee case length gage and lock stud kit for in a drill to use for the 30-06. If money is an issue that is.

http://www.titanreloading.com/case-c...geshellholder-
    http://www.titanreloading.com/case-c...with-ball-grip
    http://www.titanreloading.com/case-c...tter-lock-stud

Only issue I have had with the setup in the links was the shell holder that comes with the length gage. It is soft so the lips bent after a while causing the case to slip out. Lee sent me a replacement which I case hardened to prevent it from bending like the first one did. So far so good. Just keep in mind that for the most part you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by dkf; April 23rd, 2014 at 03:20 PM.

(Tioga County)

I got my WFT today so I'll have to see how it works. I have to finish rebuilding my reloading bench today though, but I'm excited to get going reloading rifle brass, so maybe within a day or so.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I got my WFT today so I'll have to see how it works. I have to finish rebuilding my reloading bench today though, but I'm excited to get going reloading rifle brass, so maybe within a day or so.
    Congrats! Nice tool. One word of caution. Trim over something. It does such a nice job of removing the brass and then clearing it that it can do anything from long twists of brass to small flecks and those big holes on the sides clear them all. The SO doesn't appreciate all those little pieces nor do the pets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast