Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Summer carry gun

So I'm in need once again, I was really considering a Ruger LCR 357. I'm no thinking about an LCP for some reason, I have had an LCP before and it's very easy to carry. I don't like pocket carry at all cause I have trouble drawing the pistol out where my thumb snags my shirt trying to get into my pocket. I also have carried an LCP IWB and have some trouble getting the little thing out of the holster. While I think this is more of a training issue I can very easily carry a LCR IWB or OWB and have no issues with the draw. I have no issues with the 38 but much prefer the 357 mag for obvious reasons. The 380 I feel is marginal but would be suitable for my needs so not a deal breaker; my biggest concern is concealability and carry weight.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Summer carry gun

Much more offerings out there now...

Kahr 380 or 9mm both very conceable.
    Glock 42-380 larger than the LCP for sure, but its a glock configuration
    XDS 45 or 9mm
    Shield 9mm or 40
    Diamondback 380
    Walther PPK (heavier gun though)

LCR is a good choice and would go with a .357 because you can always shoot 38 out of it at the range or carry if you wish...

I too just picked up another pocket/summer gun (seem to get rid of them during colder months, and pick one back up in warmer months)....i use to have a bodyguard 380, which was excellent, didnt beat up my hand or pinch my finger *cough LCP cough* I picked up an LCP (first time) a couple weeks ago and love the size and features, but HATE the trigger, i mean i wanted to toss the gun after the first few shots... Ive ordered a new trigger for it hoping to elimnate that pinch (we shall see)
    Last edited by Svickstc; April 22nd, 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Much more offerings out there now...

Kahr 380 or 9mm both very conceable.
    Glock 42-380 larger than the LCP for sure, but its a glock configuration
    XDS 45 or 9mm
    Shield 9mm or 40

LCR is a good choice and would go with a .357 because you can always shoot 38 out of it at the range or carry if you wish...
    The red three I don't like. I even had an XDs 45 and couldn't shoot it well/straight.
    The Kahr pistols are nice but kinda bore me for some reason.
    I need a revolver and just like the LCP, so that's where I'm at.

(Bucks County)

the diamond back .380 (never heard anyhting bad about that gun) and is one of the smaller of the choices out ther as well...

You seemed to be set on a revovler though...many light weight options out there in various calibers

I too am not a fan of .380, but ill take that over nothing

(Perry County)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=411486712

Nothing says you've arrived like a $5000 pocket pistol. Go for it.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lancaster County)

Really kind of depends on your activity? summer use outside playing and working? I carry a "J" frame on the belt in a ETW pancake because of sweat. Nice dress is still a "in the pant" Kimber, or a TCP in a wallet holster.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sit down! You'll never clear leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    the diamond back .380 (never heard anyhting bad about that gun) and is one of the smaller of the choices out ther as well...

You seemed to be set on a revovler though...many light weight options out there in various calibers

I too am not a fan of .380, but ill take that over nothing
    No I'm not really set on a revolver but I do like em lots and I don't have any right now so the want is really there.
    I'm not a huge fan of the 380 either but I still wouldn't stand in frontof one on a summer day. I just like the idea of a small easy to carry gun. But I like the LCR especially in 357

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    No I'm not really set on a revolver but I do like em lots and I don't have any right now so the want is really there.
    I'm not a huge fan of the 380 either but I still wouldn't stand in frontof one on a summer day. I just like the idea of a small easy to carry gun. But I like the LCR especially in 357
    What about a Ruger LC9?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    What about a Ruger LC9?
    I have an LC9 for EDC regardless of season. I like it. Trigger does take some time to get used to, as it's about 3 miles long. It also has a LCI, Mag Disc, and Manual Safety, things I didn't mind but are deal breakers to some, so that's something to keep in mind. However, in a Crossbreed or any other type of deep concealment holster, I've found that as long as I'm not wearing a shirt that's 2 sizes too small, a loose fitting T Shirt still conceals its well. I have found that sometimes, depending on the fabric of the shirt, I have to move the gun closer to 6 o'clock than I normally wear it (more 5-5:30 EDC) just to help with printing.

When it comes to summer, go for a gun that isn't super wide and has a shorter grip. You compromise on round capacity and how many fingers you can get around the gun, but it goes a long way to help conceal. IMO, if I'm not rocking an extra mag and the 8 rounds of 9mm JHP +P can't handle it, I should already be running. Good luck in your search, gun shopping is half the fun.
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

(Bucks County)

P3AT/DeSantis year 'round

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast