Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default My first hair raising experience (boring story, but a question at the end)

I have been carrying for a little over 5 years (mostly CC, some OC), and thankfully outside of training have not come into a situation where I had to start to think about what I needed to do to defend myself until the other night. (not that I haven't thought about it, just never needed to)

My wife and I like to take our 3 year old daughter on walks each night after dinner. The other night my wife had to work late but it was nice so my daughter and I still went. I always have my 1911 OWB but covered with me on these because my 3 year old still can't keep up if I jog.

We were walking around a condo complex not far from my house. I saw a dog coming from one of the internal paths of the complex, so I kept her a little extra close because she is still learning not to go up to unknown dogs. The dog looked fine, but the owner looked off. Best way to describe is if I told you to go to your closet and pick out an outfit to look like a clown, then leave it in your yard for 2 weeks before wearing it. Also then get a hat that claps when you push a button hanging from it. (I know when doing yard work I can look pretty bad, it was the hat that made me nervous). We slow and he passes about 15 yards in front of us and heads to a dumpster across the drive, and back over. I give him a polite hello, and he heads back down the internal path and we stay on the outside of the complex. His path led him away from the direction we were going.

As he is walking away I notice he has a large rock in his right hand (size of a large grapefruit). We were already heading out of the complex, so we just keep going.

About 3-5 minutes later we are almost out of the complex when about 20 yards in front of us he comes out from 2 of the buildings again. He is slightly out of breath, and still carrying the rock, but no more dog. I had my daughter on my shoulders at this point, so I instantly turn and head across the drive, mentioning to her we can feed the squirrels. The parking is on the other side so I am able to put the drive, about another 25 feet, and 2 cars between him and us. We have black walnut trees in our yard so I put my daughter down and hand them to her to lay in the woods so I am also between her and him.

I give him a smile and then watch him out of the corner of my eye. He stands there for about 3 minutes watching us then goes back down the internal path. We got home fine.

My biggest concern at the time was he was going to come across the street. I had been polite up until that point, and would likely not had crossed the street if not for my daughter being there, but if he did I would have probably been a little more stern (but not rude). I know that once my daughter hears that voice she would be up in my arms, which would have made it difficult to keep me between her and him. I figure I would hold her in my left arm and turn with my right side facing him still able to draw if needed. Any better way to to position myself when she needs to be in my arms?
    Last edited by ursinuspip; April 21st, 2014 at 09:23 AM.

(York County)

Default Re: My first hair raising experience (boring story, but a question at the end)

Since you asked and we're talking hypothetical here... Why does she need to be in your arms? A confrontation can go from fist fight to gun fight to fist fight again. I would want to keep both hands open and ready. Teach her to stand behind you and hold your pant leg or something, so you know she's there.

If the guy goes for you then you can do whatever you need to do, if he goes for your daughter you've got both hands to fight him off. If you're trying to get the hell out of dodge then pick her up and start legging it. But the second it becomes a confrontation, free up your hands and handle the situation.

Just my two cents.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: My first hair raising experience (boring story, but a question at the end)

Did he kill the dog ?

(Lancaster County)

I would agree with a lot of what was already said.

My biggest concern with you holding your daughter is the damage to her if you had to go to the extreme of using lethal force. A 1911 gives off enough percussion that even with her behind you it could cause hearing problems. with you holding her it would sure be much worse.

I dont have kids yet but i can certainly imagine the thoughts running through your head. Its nice to hear you talking about your little ones saftey first. Reminds me that there are still good parents around.

I think for the situation at hand you did just fine in my book .. not that my book is published or anything lol
    An Armed society is a polite one

(Bucks County)

Stay away from condo complexes and trailer parks when walking with your children.

I'd agree about not holding your daughter to keep your hands free if not for the dog. Maybe handing her off to her mom might have been best if things turned ugly. Sounds like you handled the situation well IMHO.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the replies so far.

The issue was on that night my wife was not with me, and I would not pick her on purpose, but at 3 when she gets scared she is going to try to climb up the front of me to get into my arms.

I would then rather have her in my arms where I can keep my body between her and the BG, rather then her grabbing me between the two of us. As she gets older and understands stay behind me it will change.

(Allegheny County)

Having a 5 y/o daughter myself, I've thought a lot about such situations. I've taught her to grab my belt or belt loops, should we be somewhere, and my hands are occupied. This gives her something a bit more substantial to hold, rather than just the fabric of my pants, as she can actually loop her fingers around something.

I started this as soon as she started walking by herself when we were out in public. Works great in crowded areas, such as amusement parks, flea markets, or waiting in line somewhere, and I have my hands full. She'll instantly grab a belt loop if there's something that she doesn't like, or she thinks she might lose me. If I tell her to stay close to Daddy, she'll do it as well. I started this when she was about your daughters age, btw.

You did just fine, btw. Your SA told you that something was 'off' and you started preparing yourself should you need to defend you or your little girl.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Maybe it wasn't his dog and he picked up a rock in self defense....

Just tossing that out there.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    Maybe it wasn't his dog and he picked up a rock in self defense....

Just tossing that out there.
    Maybe it was his dog and that was the dog's rock. My dad had a rottweiler/pitbull mix that played with a grapefruit sized rock. Not even kidding! He'd say, "Beauty...go get your rock!" She'd run out and get her rock and bring it to him. He'd throw it out into the yard and she'd go get it again.

(Centre County)

You should have probably called the cops about a strange man with a rock.

The only things I could guess is vagrant, heroine addict, mentally ill, or an unemployed and homeless geologist.