Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Quick Long gun Transfer Question

Quote Originally Posted by elweasel View Post
    In PA I understand handguns transfers need to be handled by a FFL. In PA I understand a can transfer a long gun without a FFL. Now what happens if I have a lower receiver for an AR-15 and I want to transfer it. If it was a rifle, No ffl needed. If it was a pistol, FFL needed. So is there law that says unfinished lower receivers should be handled like pistols and transfers goes thru a ffl?
    THIS is exactly the situation, except he's building a full AR for me. And HE's going through an FFL to get the lower. And he'd (and all of us) need to go through the FFL to get any firearm purchased over the internet.

My point to him is, once you build it and it's a long gun, it's a private-to-private sale, no FFL required.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by cmr076 View Post
    out of curiosity, what information do you make the buyer put on a BOS before you will sell him the gun?
    I'd go with name, address, and phone number verified by checking their driver's license. If I didn't know the person, I'd also want something like an LTCF to give me the warm and fuzzy feeling that he isn't a prohibited person.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdad View Post
    ... My point to him is, once you build it and it's a long gun, it's a private-to-private sale, no FFL required.
    "Not required" are the key words. The lower is in his name and he needs to be comfortable selling it without an FFL involved. In the end, there is no way to force someone to sell you a long gun with a demand that no FFL be involved, and it's his call.

Hopefully, this isn't just a sneaky way to make a straw purchase. Me thinks you protest too much.

Also, if he is a type 7 FFL and building the rifle for you, he must have it on his books and transfer it as such. If he isn't, perhaps he shouldn't be building AR15s for anybody.

JMHO, no offense intended.
    Last edited by Boots_DE; April 20th, 2014 at 07:53 PM.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Bucks County)

Good points, oh grey bearded one

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdad View Post
    THIS is exactly the situation, except he's building a full AR for me. And HE's going through an FFL to get the lower. And he'd (and all of us) need to go through the FFL to get any firearm purchased over the internet.

My point to him is, once you build it and it's a long gun, it's a private-to-private sale, no FFL required.

This is possibly a huge gray area. Buying parts to be assembled into a firearm, be it a long gun or a pistol, is for personal use. Having someone do it for you makes that person a manufacturer, especially if he had the receiver transferred to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Wayne County)

Shit I thought this thread was about me. "quick long gun" is my nickname when I'm Fapping to Bar Rafaeli photos.

carry on with whatever you were talking about....sorry.
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; April 20th, 2014 at 09:08 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Franklin County)

As far as I know buying a lower receiver and building an AR with the full intent of it being sold is illegal on a couple counts. That is unless he has the proper license, and if he does it would have to be logged out of his books.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    I'd go with name, address, and phone number verified by checking their driver's license. If I didn't know the person, I'd also want something like an LTCF to give me the warm and fuzzy feeling that he isn't a prohibited person.
    Couldn't agree more. That's what has been done to me in the past, and how I would handle should I make a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots_DE View Post
    "Not required" are the key words. The lower is in his name and he needs to be comfortable selling it without an FFL involved. In the end, there is no way to force someone to sell you a long gun with a demand that no FFL be involved, and it's his call.

Hopefully, this isn't just a sneaky way to make a straw purchase. Me thinks you protest too much.

Also, if he is a type 7 FFL and building the rifle for you, he must have it on his books and transfer it as such. If he isn't, perhaps he shouldn't be building AR15s for anybody.

JMHO, no offense intended.
    None taken, but please do not use that term 'straw'. This is nothing of the sort, check my posts and rep. And I'm making no demands on the guy. The guy is a personal friend, who told me he has done a few and said he would do one for me. I do not want to, nor am I attempting to do anything illegal, hence my reason for posting in here and asking the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    This is possibly a huge gray area. Buying parts to be assembled into a firearm, be it a long gun or a pistol, is for personal use. Having someone do it for you makes that person a manufacturer, especially if he had the receiver transferred to himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ C-burg View Post
    As far as I know buying a lower receiver and building an AR with the full intent of it being sold is illegal on a couple counts. That is unless he has the proper license, and if he does it would have to be logged out of his books.
    Illegal in PA? You sure of this? If so, now there's a horse of a different color and I'll pass your concerns along to him. I was conjuring this angle, but as far as I'm aware, he has thought this part through for what he's doing. Thanks all for the always interesting conversations and advice. Love the PAFOA.

(Chester County)

and spliitiebus66....well played.

Hokkmike Guest

Splittiebus66... Darn, what was this thread about anyway???

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast