Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Fat guys and concealed carry.

A few years ago I stopped growing up and started growing out. I am going shopping in the near future for a good comfortable holster for my Taurus .38 special. I also have a SW .40 sigma and a Taurus pt 24/7 9mm. Both of which seem like they would be uncomfortable to carry(I could very well be wrong).
    I have read through most of the concealed carry threads here and have not seen this perticular problem brought up.
    So any thoughts?

Default Re: Fat guys and concealed carry.

Could just be most of us bigger people dont find a problem with concealing. all depends what you see as "fat" is Fat 150 pounds in your eyes or more 350+ . Dont laugh, there are people who think a size 38 waist on a man is fat... Most who think that have a zise 40 waist in their middle age, and from what i read, that is actually average in America.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

sorry I should be more clear. I am not huge, but my stomach definitely is beginning to hang over the belt. Except when I sit down and then it is definatly over the best.. I wear a 38 inch pant.
    I would like to carry IWB and not have the gun poking me in the fat when I sit down.
    I have very little carry experience and looking at holsters on web sites doesn't do a lot to help.
    I know the majority here do carry and some of you have to be on the larger side...

Well for the most part, you dont carry on the front, most carry side to back few carry front, and when they do, its mainly cross draw. Small of the back is probably the most comfortable, side carry (usually back side) can usually be accomplished pretty easy if you wear a high rig. The higher the rig, the further back you will find you need to carry, after all, you dont want it to poke you in the arm pit either... Most carry problems come from people wanting to carry on a hip hugger type pant. You will find if you wear a higher pant then Hip Huggers, the gun will ride much better. Like I said in an other post, just because I can do some thing and be comfy with it, does not mean others can, we all have different bodies and flexabilities.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(York County)

If your Taurus .38 is one of the light weight 85's, you might want to consider pocket carry. If it's a stainless steel of blued gun, it's a bit heavy for pocket (IMHO).

I'm not a big fan of IWB holsters although I do carry like that on occasions. If the gun I carry is too big or heavy for pocket carry (or if I'm carrying more then one gun), I prefer a strong side OWB holster just behind my hip.
    One can wear an untucked shirt or sports jacket as covering garments. If you wear sports jackets or suits as your daily attire, consider a shoulder rig

Neither of the ways I carry is good if you're driving your car. When I'm driving, the gun is tucked between the seat and console.

FYI, I'm 5'9" and have a 36" waist. Guess thats not fat...but fat, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. However, I don't like the butt of the gun jabbing me in the side. That's why just behind the hip works well for me.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; January 21st, 2007 at 06:01 PM.

(Cumberland County)

I also have been striken with "dulap" disease (belly dun lapped over my belt). I carry a Glock 35. I use a Fobus holster. I wear it on the side. The weapon "snaps" into place. Its comfortable and easily accessible. I carry every day and it has never caused a problem. Driving a car does not affect it at all. Hope this helps.
    Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

(Delaware County)

I am one of those "Fat Guys" you speak of and carrying a full sized pistol is out of the question for me(you can see the outline a mile away) So what I do in the summer months is pocket carry and I the winter months I carry a sub-compact rig. I have found that the DeSantis IWB holsters work best for my body type(FAT )
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

I am of similar dimensions as you. IWB is pure hell! What works for me is a Galco SOB holster worn at 4 o'clock not 6 o'clock. I have one for my Colt Govn't, Walther PPKS and my Mod. 36. It's not perfect or for everyone, but it works for us full figured guys.

(Allegheny County)

So when carrying OWB do you just ware loose t shirts or need something more substantial to keep covered? I tend to get warm pretty easily. I suppose i should head out to a gun store with my gun and try some on?

(Montgomery County)

speaking as a former fat bastard, used to be size 46, now 41-40 and shrinking....when I was fat, and even now I prefer overall wearing a IWB holster for my carry.

I usually wore shirts (polo type) outside the pants, and was able tocover up easy the largets of guns, I regularly carried a full size HK USP or a 1911.

these days I still dress that way, but sometimes use a pancake holster for my weapons.

either way, IWB is still the least noticeable,
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast