Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Boot bake

Default Boot bake

I just did an old spring ritual on my leather boots, baking them at 140 degrees while my wife is out in the oven. I slightly crack the oven door, remove the laces and wipe them down, let them warm up for about 10 minutes or so, then remove one at a time and put on a coat of mink oil or something similar. ( I use Chelsea leather food) The do the other and put back in the oven. Do this about 4 times or more, and your boots will wear the heals out before the leather breaks down.

I try spring and fall before gobbler and before grouse, helps with break in and stiff boots too. Gloves, bike boots, and leather goods, I still wait for sunny days for my chaps and Jacket though.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Boot bake

Either sunny days or a hand held hair dryer and snow seal has worked for me for a long time.

Dale

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Boot bake

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    I just did an old spring ritual on my leather boots, baking them at 140 degrees while my wife is out in the oven. I slightly crack the oven door, remove the laces and wipe them down, let them warm up for about 10 minutes or so, then remove one at a time and put on a coat of mink oil or something similar. ( I use Chelsea leather food) The do the other and put back in the oven. Do this about 4 times or more, and your boots will wear the heals out before the leather breaks down.

I try spring and fall before gobbler and before grouse, helps with break in and stiff boots too. Gloves, bike boots, and leather goods, I still wait for sunny days for my chaps and Jacket though.
    Why do you have to wait for a sunny day to put your chaps and jacket in the oven?