Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: About to buy A home, gun related Qs

Don't dilly dally getting home owners insurance!!!!!!!! There is always a problem if something happens to the home between now and settlement. You do own a portion of that house at this point.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    Don't dilly dally getting home owners insurance!!!!!!!! There is always a problem if something happens to the home between now and settlement. You do own a portion of that house at this point.
    Thank You! I actually have the day off and am up in Mechanicsburg waiting for my truck to get the bed sprayed so I have a few hours to call around, I was thinking about going with Penn National as they already cover my auto insurance and I have been quite happy with the service/price.

Thanks for everyones assistance. I have heard getting a home security system qualifies you for some discounts on homeowners insurance...true?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Calzonewdippingsauce View Post
    Thank You! I actually have the day off and am up in Mechanicsburg waiting for my truck to get the bed sprayed so I have a few hours to call around, I was thinking about going with Penn National as they already cover my auto insurance and I have been quite happy with the service/price.

Thanks for everyones assistance. I have heard getting a home security system qualifies you for some discounts on homeowners insurance...true?
    I would definetly check with the company that carries you're car ins. policy first. I use state farm and I get a discount for having my homeowners and car policies both through them. As far as discounts for security systems it couldn't hurt to ask. I know some companies do this.

(Philadelphia County)

Most of the time insurance will not cover water damage in basements to anything besides appliances unless you make special arrangements (and then you'll pay for the privilege).

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I would definetly check with the company that carries you're car ins. policy first. I use state farm and I get a discount for having my homeowners and car policies both through them. As far as discounts for security systems it couldn't hurt to ask. I know some companies do this.
    Talked with my insurance agent, I definitely get a reduction on auto when combined, she is checking on companies that also offer good coverage of firearms .

[QUOTE=Calzonewdippingsauce;2703697]
    - I have a quality safe with fire rating to keep them in, I have heard the best place to put a safe is in the basement The home is a split level with a sub basement.
    /QUOTE]

Just a personal preference thing here, but I like having my safe in the bedroom closet. I like the quick access at night if I ever need something from it plus it's probably the last place a criminal would come to if they were to break in while I am home.

If someone somehow got into my basement, they could clean it out and I would not visually know until the next day.

my home owners covers up to 5k and the nra policy adds another 3500 or so.

moisture is the main concern for firearms so the sub basement likely isnt the best option. wherever you put it, bolt it down and get a golden rod and a couple of reusable desiccators such as these:

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-SPAD-...e+dehumidifier

congrats on the new house!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12