Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 snake shot

(York County)

Default 22 snake shot

So i've been killing some snakes left and right on a farm that I work on . Its a lot easier to just carry my revolver around than a shovel . So I thought I would give this "snake shot " a try . Has anyone ever used it before ? And I would think it is bad for the rifling in the barrel but i'm not sure . And does anyone know of a place that might carry it in stock around the county ? Thanks ! SR

(Northampton County)

Default Re: 22 snake shot

I think it's pretty much illegal to kill snakes in PA and if you know somebody that is doing it tell them not to post about it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I think it's pretty much illegal to kill snakes in PA and if you know somebody that is doing it tell them not to post about it.
    completely false, but PA does have bag limits and regulations on reptiles and amphibians

No Open Season:
    Eastern Hognose Snake
    Eastern Ribbon Snake
    Eastern Smooth Earth Snake
    Eastern Smooth Green Snake
    Eastern Worm Snake
    Mountain Earth Snake
    Queen Snake
    Shorthead Garter Snake
    Endangered:
    Eastern Massasauga (Endangered)
    Kirtland's Snake (Endangered)
    Rough Green Snake (Endangered)

No Closed Season: Daily Limit 1:
    Eastern Garter Snake
    Eastern Milksnake
    Eastern Ratsnake
    Northern Black Racer
    Northern Brown Snake
    Northern Redbelly Snake
    Northern Ringneck Snake
    Northern Water Snake

A fishing license is required to catch or take reptiles and amphibians from the lands and waters of the Commonwealth.
    Unless otherwise indicated, reptiles and amphibians may only be taken by hand, hook, snake tongs, turtle hooks, traps and nets less than four feet square or four feet in diameter.
    It is unlawful to take, catch or kill a reptile or amphibian through the use of firearms, chemicals, explosives, winches, jacks or other devices.
    It is unlawful to damage or disrupt the nest or eggs of a reptile or to gather, take or possess the eggs of any reptile in the natural environment of this Commonwealth.
    It is unlawful to take, catch, kill or possess for the purposes of selling or offering for sale, importing or exporting for consideration, trading or bartering or purchasing an amphibian or reptile whether dead or alive, in whole or in parts, including the eggs or any life stage that was taken from lands or waters within this Commonwealth.
    It is unlawful to transport or import into or within this Commonwealth a native species from another jurisdiction. It is also unlawful to receive a native species that was transported or imported into or within this Commonwealth from another jurisdiction.
    Taking, catching and possessing amphibians and reptiles in Department of Conservation and Natural Resources natural areas designated by posters is prohibited.
    A permit is required to hunt, take, catch, kill or possess timber rattlesnakes and northern copperhead snakes.

Timber Rattlesnake*

June 8 through July 31

1 annual limit** (must be at least 42 inches in length, measured lengthwise along the dorsal surface from the snout to the tail, excluding the rattle, and must possess 21 or more subcaudal scales.***)

Northern Copperhead

June 8 through July 31

1 annual limit**

* It is unlawful to hunt, take, catch, or kill timber rattlesnakes west of Route 15 and south of Interstate 81 to the Maryland line where there is no open season.
    ** It is unlawful to possess, take, catch, or kill more than one timber rattlesnake or northern copperhead per calendar year except as provided in Chapter 79.7(f) (Fish & Boat Code) relating to organized reptile and amphibian hunt permits. It is unlawful to possess more than one timber rattlesnake or northern copperhead at any time except as provided in Chapter 79.7(f) (Fish & Boat Code).
    *** Subcaudal scales are large flat scales located on the underside of a timber rattlesnake between the vent (anal scale) and the base of the tail rattle.

Please see PA Fish Game for more
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/repamp.html
    Last edited by Svickstc; April 14th, 2014 at 12:46 PM.

(York County)

I could be wrong and I don't have a law readily available but I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is illegal to kill a snake in PA with a handgun. Please correct me if Im wrong

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RainingLead View Post
    I could be wrong and I don't have a law readily available but I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is illegal to kill a snake in PA with a handgun. Please correct me if Im wrong
    in the information i posted above that would seem to be correct (highlighted above in orange)

from PA Fish and Game FAQ

Can I kill a timber rattlesnake or any snake with a firearm?

No, it is now unlawful to take, catch, or kill a reptile or amphibian through the use of a firearm.
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/repamp.html
    Last edited by Svickstc; April 14th, 2014 at 12:44 PM.

anyone had any experience trapping snakes?

suppose the correct licenses, etc are obtained
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Bucks County)

What if it was self defense?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    anyone had any experience trapping snakes?

suppose the correct licenses, etc are obtained
    you only need permits for rattlesnakes i believe...

no personal exp.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    What if it was self defense?
    unfortunately, that would be tough to prove (unlike being attacked by say a larger animal deer, beer, etc).

and snakes usually dont attack unless cornered or bothered...now you step on a snake in the wild and get a bite, they always say it is best if you can to catch or kill the snake to be able to identify in case and need of anti venom...

(Northampton County)

Thanks, Svickstc!

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    unfortunately, that would be tough to prove (unlike being attacked by say a larger animal deer, beer, etc).

and snakes usually dont attack unless cornered or bothered...now you step on a snake in the wild and get a bite, they always say it is best if you can to catch or kill the snake to be able to identify in case and need of anti venom...
    I yelled, "It's comin' right for us!" That always works.

Oh, and there are definitely snakes that will attack, even chase your ass down when they detect your presence in the area. The Bushmaster comes to mind from personal experience. Of course, there aren't a lot of them around here as far as I know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast