Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Beginning an AR pistol build

Went to the gun shop the other day and I bought a stripped lower, in which I intend on turning into an AR pistol. On order, but not yet installed are a lower parts kit and pistol buffer assembly.

I told the guy at the gun store, I intend on building the lower into a pistol, already, somewhat understanding the legalities, etc. I ask him if I need to fill out the paper work for a pistol as well. He said no, which is what I expected the answer to be.

This is where it confused me, and what I didn't understand. He told me that once I have it built as a pistol I need to "register" aka, fill out the handgun form and paper work so it then legally qualifies as a pistol.

I was under the impression, that when buying a stripped lower, that was never build into anything previously, it can be build into either a pistol, rifle or SBR (with tax stamp), so long as it was never previously assembled as another type of firearm.

So like I said, I have a stripped lower only thus far, with a LPK and pistol buffer assembly on order. Must I do any further "legal" paper work before I am to order an upper?

I thought I knew what I was doing until this guy mentioned this to me. I don't want to do anything wrong here. Doing some quick looking around online, I've heard some responses in which agree with what the store employee has said and I've heard other which do not.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Beginning an AR pistol build

He is absolutely incorrect! You do not need to do anymore paperwork once finished. Only if you sell it in pistol form will you need to do a transfer.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/25...necessary.html

(Montgomery County)

This ^

You filled out your 4473 for it as "other" and that's all you'll need to do!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    This ^

You filled out your 4473 for it as "other" and that's all you'll need to do!
    Hopefully he transferred it as other and not as a rifle. I once had a shop owner tell me he would transfer it as a rifle and if I changed my mind I could come back and he would change it to a pistol

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by homedefender View Post
    Hopefully he transferred it as other and not as a rifle. I once had a shop owner tell me he would transfer it as a rifle and if I changed my mind I could come back and he would change it to a pistol
    What a Dbag. Its amazing how many ffl's don't understand the "other" designation. A "virgin" or new lower that has never been assembled is neither a pistol or rifle so it is wrong to classify it as such. If a lower is stamped pistol or assembled as such then yes it is a pistol. If it has a 16" barreled upper then its a rifle. I'm glad my ffl is knowledgeable, cheap, and not to far away.

(Cumberland County)

Thank you fellas for confirming what I thought was true. I'm hoping he did in fact fill the form out as "other" as I did make sure to tell him the fact that I'm intending to build this into a pistol and NOT a rifle.

I didn't want to name the store as I don't want to give the store (which I really like) a bad name for their misinformed employee giving me bad information. He seemed a little unsure of how to answer my question and used the word "register". He was not rude, just seemed unsure. Once he used that word I knew the information he gave me was likely incorrect, but I did feel that I need to clarify.

Now, the expensive part.... the upper. I'm likely not going to "build" the upper, but rather buy one complete. 10-12" 300BLK. I want to stay in the $700-900 range. So far, the best candidate I've found is a Spikes ST-15 10" BAR-9 complete upper.

(Franklin County)

AIM has some 300 URGs. AAC and ST, they all look nice. Don't be intimidated by doing it yourself its not rocket science. If you'd need help there are many on here that would be willing to assist. You just need patience, minor mechanical skills, and a few tools.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ C-burg View Post
    AIM has some 300 URGs. AAC and ST, they all look nice. Don't be intimidated by doing it yourself its not rocket science. If you'd need help there are many on here that would be willing to assist. You just need patience, minor mechanical skills, and a few tools.
    It's not the assembly that turns me off. I've had my current AR15 apart when I installed a free float DD rail, having to install a different barrel nut, remove the gasblock, etc. It's just that, once I build it the way I want it, it's only less than $100 cheaper.

I priced out parts on BCM and all said and done, parts alone it was over $800, where I can find Spikes ST-15 for $850 assembled and ready to slap on. I'd just need sights.

(Franklin County)

Understandable. My dad bought a DD Mk18 upper for less than I did starting from scratch. Granted I have a few extra frills but he was the smart one monetarily. I just enjoy doing it myself.
    Good luck! Make sure to keep us updated.

(Cumberland County)

I just want to check and verify a legality here.

I will be done with my lower long before I buy or build an upper. If I were to take this lower to the range and test it on my 16" rifle upper, am I breaking any laws? I would just like to test it and make sure it functions correctly, the hammer rests, safety works, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast