(Mercer County)

Default Why do we carry?

Delete
    Last edited by wakefield724; June 28th, 2014 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Delete

(Berks County)

Default Re: Why do we carry?

So why do you?

Have you ever read the Armed Citizen section of the american rifleman. It happens everyday. 99 percent of the time you well hear about people have to depend them self.

I did have to go for my weapon once when I was on a emergency service call. While walking between to vehicles (my service truck and so called client vehicle) I heard the clients buddy going throught my tools in the back of the truck, while the client and his second buddy had me traped between them and the cars, and they were approaching me in an aggressive manor. As soon has they saw my hand on my weapon they all froze. Surprisingly a police officer drove by and stop just as it went down. I explained what had happened. So call client and one of his buddy had warrents. And I got to go home that night.

When I lived in new jersey, a fellow co worker was doing an evening road call, he and the client we robber and beatin at gun point while changing a flat tire. . . Its a nasty world out there.
    NRA Endowment Member, N-SSA #9526v

(Bucks County)

You do not carry expecting to use your weapon. You carry for that one in a thousand chance when you need a weapon. Most of us can mention that one time when just showing you are prepared to defend oneself defuses the situation. That and the added benefit of increased SA while carrying.

(Delaware County)

I carry for the same reason I carry insurance on my house and vehicles (outside of being required by law), for the same reason I have several fire extinguishers, for the same reason I have a spare tire, the list goes on, I'd rather have it and not need, than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    I carry like most of you so please do not hang me. I was just wondering why we carry.
    The chances of dying from a firearm homicide is .00003528% and those statistics include gang related deaths. So if we are not in gang we have an extremely low chance of being shot. So my question is why do we spend countless time, effort, and money to protect ourselves from something that is almost non existent? Is it the peace of mind and secure feeling we have while carrying? I believe that if we live an honest life and avoid making enemies we will not encounter being threatened and if I am being robbed which is a low possibility because there are easier targets available I would rather much give someone my wallet and cancel all my cards later, than shooting someone which would also risk myself dying and also go to countless court cases for it.

What do you guys think? Why do you carry? Do you personally know anyone who has ever truly needed to use a firearm for self defense?
    1. My godsister
      1. wasn't in a gang.
      2. wasn't shot.
      3. is dead.
        Her boy friend stabbed her to death.
    2. Should I be okay with being stabbed or beaten to death? Kidnapped?
    3. Giving somebody your wallet guarantees NOTHING but that you no longer have your wallet. Submitting to an armed robbery in NO way guarantees your safety. Don't believe me? Ask that doctor in Connecticut whose whole family was slaughtered.

No plan I EVER have will EVER be premised on a violent criminal doing the right thing. If they were concerned about doing the right thing, they wouldn't BE violent criminals.

But hey, if you can't trust in the good judgment and basic decency of strongarm robbers, what CAN you trust in...?
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Smile Re: Why do we carry?

I will answer your question ! When there is any possibility statistic no matter how remote there is always going to be a need to CCW.Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it !

(Montgomery County)

I agree there's an extremely low chance of something catastrophic happening, but I'd still like to take steps to reduce that chance even further. It's comforting in a sometimes not so comfortable world.

It's also the principle that being armed is the ultimate mark of a free man. I think I like that most of all.

You are right, most people will probably not need their guns in a real life situation. But there are plenty of bad people out there who have no problem harming you, me, our families, friends etc..... Read the papers/internet. Every single day people find themselves in positions where their having a gun could have been the difference between life and death. I'm willing to bet that many had the thinking of "I will never need a gun" until they did need it.

Conversely, there are a lot more people who do wind up successfully defending themselves because they do carry. Spend enough time here and reading on-line, you will find out there are more than you think. On top of that, and I don't have proof so this is an unsubstantiated claim, but I am willing to bet that a high number of incidents where a gun plays a positive role go unreported.

I consider myself to be a responsible person. I work hard, take care of my family, house etc..... I also take the responsibility I have to myself and family seriously. I do not want to find myself in a position where I am going "dang, I wish I had a gun as I am trying to protect myself and my family"

I will be perfectly happy if my epitaph at 80 says "carried a gun, never needed it". More importantly is making it to 80 which having a firearm may help someday. And I would rather be saying "I am glad was armed "than "I wish I had been armed"

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    Do you personally know anyone who has ever truly needed to use a firearm for self defense?
    In answer to this question..... I know someone where if they did not have a firearm, things would have gone bad for them quickly. Not a story I will repeat without the persons okay though.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast