Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: AT FT. HOOD, OBAMA VOWS TO KEEP GUNS FROM MENTALLY ILL

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    I do not blame anyone for being suspicious of this proposed law. Our Government has been caught speaking with forked tongues many times in the past.
    Really? Our Government? I can't think when? But then...I've never been lied too by an insurance company either.

However.....the news article stated:

The National Rifle Association, which has opposed virtually all of President Obama’s proposed gun control package, swiftly endorsed a bill rolled out Wednesday intended to strengthen the federal background check system and keep guns out of the hands of those deemed mentally ill.

The article went on to say:

The bill ...would expand the definition of those adjudicated “mentally incompetent” to include those judged to be a danger to themselves or others, found not guilty in a criminal case by reason of insanity, and requires involuntary outpatient treatment by a psychiatric hospital, among other provisions.

But too me.....it's always those "other provisions" that have a tendency to bite you where it hurts the most.

I'm still not renewing my NRA membership. Just counting on you guys to continue to fund the propaganda.

Dave

(Lancaster County)

Dave does the NRA do anything you approve of ?
    I can accept and understand if you have a low opinion of the NRA but the arrogant way in which you talk down to its members gets tiring.
    We get it. They did you wrong in your opinion.
    Let me ask this, did any of the other second amendment groups come to your aid? Or maybe you are not a member of GOA or the the rest.
    Bashing the National Rifle Association is one thing, needling it's supporters with the same if not more veracity is another.
    Do you really think we would all be better off if the NRA was dismantled and gone? Would that put a smile on your face while all the gun control groups get stronger and stronger ?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Dave does the NRA do anything you approve of ?
    I can accept and understand if you have a low opinion of the NRA but the arrogant way in which you talk down to its members gets tiring.The NRA doesn't do everything wrong. Then again Obama doesn't do everything wrong. I do have a low opinion of the NRA and if you look past my post, you will find other's who post on this very forum who have the same opinion as I do. If you feel that I post in an "arrogant" way of talking down to NRA members, then I apologize for that. That manner or tone is directed at the NRA management. Not it's members. Websters defines arrogant as: "having or showing the insulting attitude of people who believe that they are better, smarter, or more important than other people : having or showing arrogance" Hardly am I better than anyone, nor am I smarter or more important than anyone, or any group. OTOH, when an organizations purports to uphold something, and then gives you the bus, that organization deserves criticism. Now, go back and objectively read the email. The truth is plain as the nose on your face. It's all in the email. No interpretation needed. Just read.
    We get it. They did you wrong in your opinion. Again, just read it. Not my opinion. It's all there if you are objective. If you want to attack me, knock yourself out.
    Let me ask this, did any of the other second amendment groups come to your aid? Or maybe you are not a member of GOA or the the rest. I didn't ask them. Nor did they "offer" like the NRA did.
    Bashing the National Rifle Association is one thing, needling it's supporters with the same if not more veracity is another. So, you would rather not know what they say they support, vs what they really do support? That's up to you.
    Do you really think we would all be better off if the NRA was dismantled and gone? Would that put a smile on your face while all the gun control groups get stronger and stronger ?Actually I think we would all be better off if the NRA would grow up and no longer "feed the fire" of contempt between gun owners and the gun wanna be takers and approach it from an education standpoint. In other words, take the high road and not the current low road. However I must admit the current low road must work quite well as the NRA officers do make darn nice salaries and keep the battle at the status quo. Other than Heller what other major inroads have they done? You still can't carry in New York City, and look at Connecticut. Yet, the NRA is all powerful? Maybe not so much. Perhaps rethink their mission and how they go about their business? Cut out the fat? Get lean 'n mean and focus on what is really needed. Oh....and don't make promise's you can't keep. Maybe do what I did when I was in business.....Focus on the objective.....the money will follow.
    But that's how I see it. You don't have to agree.

Dave

(Lancaster County)

Fair enough. Concerning your experience with the NRA and the issue you were involved in, as I stated in the other thread, I'm not a lawyer and know little about the ADA and how and who it applies. You said that one of the lawyers helped draft the law and said it didn't apply in that instance. Or the NRA made that statement? I honestly forget.

As for the NRA, I'm not a fanboy or a big defender. I recognize that for such an organization to thrive there needs to be a constant threat for them to battle. I gave them a lot of many in my younger years. I let my membership expire and had no qualms about it because we had many years of quiet in regards to gun law. That changed with Sandy Hook.

I don't care if you are not a member and you most likely and understandably don't care about my opinion on that. I am aware of others here that are not supportive of the NRA and tout other organizations. I see your post in every thread mentioning the NRA and your opinion of it. Wether I agree or disagree with you, you are entitled to share that opinion. As often and in whatever way you choose. I should have let well enough alone there.

As far as needling the NRA members, that was in reference to the statements you make along the line of " keep sending them money since I don't " or similar. It comes off as you are mocking others for choosing the NRA.
    But you're free to do that as well.

Finally, I think I posted what I did because you seem like you could offer more to these many topics than just a negative bashing of an organization. I just thought you had more to say and share. No hard feelings.

(Westmoreland County)

Well, I think I did and do have more to add. It is some NRA bashing as I'm pretty sure they look at this stuff and know a certain percentage of readers look at the negative about them and consider it.

Also, aside from my personal matter, I honestly believe the NRA can raise the bar and simply do better. That doesn't mean let their guard down. But it does mean take the high road. I believe if they choose that path, not only will they win more gun law battles, but they will gain more members and gain more political clout as being good guys than the current seemingly slide towards being somewhat of a bad guy.

Dave

(Chester County)

I'm still not renewing my NRA membership.

I would highly recommend against it.
    Last edited by JenniferG; April 14th, 2014 at 01:29 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345