Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Juniata County)

Default Great reporting on NY Gun rally; as well as history of gun control in NY - check out!

We The People – #368

They came in chartered busses. They came by train. They carpooled and caravanned. They came by motorcycle. On April 1st 2014, over ten thousand men, women and children assembled peaceable at the state capital of New York. They used the first amendment of the US Constitution to defend their second. The weather was great. The sight was beautiful. It was American.

http://blackmanwithagun.com/new-york...om-episode-368

After a long winter, the weather was favorable for so many to travel to one point to address the grievances they had with Governor Andrew Cuomo and his passing of the “Un-Safe Act.

The New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act of 2013 commonly known as the NY SAFE Act is a gun control passed by the New York State Legislature on January 15, 2013, in the middle of the night, Governor Cuomo signed the NYS S.A.F.E. Act into law. Since then 52 of New York’s 62 counties have passed resolutions strongly opposing this knee-jerk legislation. The Albany Police Officers Union has denounced the bill as “shameful”. The NY Sheriff’s Association has voiced firm opposition along with over 340 various town and local governments and other civic organizations. Three firearm firms have already left—or are making plans to leave—NYS. Taking millions of tax dollar revenues and hundreds of jobs along with them.

It is a really long law that makes most hunting rifles assault weapons.

If you want to go back look at history. NY has a past with gun control.

The father of New York gun control was a Democratic city politician called “Big Tim “Sullivan — and his partner in crime, literally, a state senator named Tammany Hall who was a mob boss.

Back in 1911 — in the wake of a notorious Gramercy Park blueblood murder-suicide — Sullivan sponsored the Sullivan Act, which mandated police-issued licenses for handguns and made it a felony to carry an unlicensed concealed weapon.

This was the heyday of the pre-Prohibition gangs, roving bands of violent toughs who terrorized ethnic neighborhoods and often fought with police. In 1903, the Battle of Rivington Street pitted a Jewish gang, the Eastman’s, against the Italian Five Pointers. When the cops showed up, the two underworld armies joined forces and blasted away, resulting in three deaths and scores of injuries. The public was clamoring for action against the gangs. This wasn’t West Side Story.

Problem was the gangs worked for Tammany. The Democratic machine used them as enforcers to influence the polls and intimidate the opposition. Gang leaders like Monk Eastman were even employed as informal “sheriffs,” to keep their turf under Tammany control.

Ordinary citizens, on the other hand, were disarmed, which solved another problem: Gangsters had been bitterly complaining to Tammany that their victims sometimes shot back at them. So gang violence didn’t drop under the Sullivan Act — and really took off after the passage of Prohibition in 1920.

Move on up past the wars, and the Civil Rights struggles and the Gun Control Act of 1968 and you New York has a concealed carry permit.

Up until about 1997, those with any type of carry permit had a carry permit for life. And for many, many years, there were so few problems with permit holders, that there was no reason whatsoever, to change the laws regarding concealed carry.

Then came Chuck Schumer (a Democrat), Governor Pataki. Gun control began started up again when two police officers where killed by criminals not by licensed gun owners and these two milked it.

But let me get back to the rally…

This rally was expertly organized like a military operation. It’s general was a guy I had dinner with and had never met before that day named Carl Paladino. Carl reminds me of another New Yorker I used to work for named William Casey. These are the guys that are easy to hate. They are passionate about life, and not always politically correct. They get stuff done though. He partnered with Stephen Aldstadt, President SCOPE (Shooters Committee on Political Education) NY, and had speakers like:

• Special Guest: Donald J. Trump,
    • Sheriff Tim Howard,
    • Skyler Forrest DeAngelo of the Young Americans for Liberty
    • Pastor Adam Jensen
    • Rob Astorino, Gubernatorial Candidate
    • Lenny Benedetto, Conn. Citizens Defense League
    • And me.

They brought in the foot soldiers; the grassroots and they did it with finesse.

So what makes a good rally?
    People
    Purpose
    Plan
    I have been to a few. Our friends in Illinois do a good job with iGOLD, Illinois Gun Owner Lobby Day, every year. We had a nice one a few years back in DC that Skip Coryell, lead almost single handedly. The VCDL, (Virginia Citizens Defense League) does a good one usually. But this one was by far the most spectacular for me. Most make the mistake of not taking care of the people. People sacrifice a lot to go to events like this. Work, travel, money, family obligations. These are working people, seniors, mothers and fathers.

This rally had entertainment, for the people. Madison Rising opened the event and entertained the troops. They didn’t do it for free. Musicians struggle enough as is so I understand now more than ever that if you want good, you have to pay for it.

I love Madison Rising. The lead singer, Dave Bray and Sam the drummer are the original crew, and the guys I recognize there were a couple of other guys, Chris and Alex that are no longer there I don’t think.

You have to have a purpose. This rally was to show the elected officials that the people are not happy. All the speakers were hand picked in advanced for their draw power and credibility that was part of the plan.

In 2013, this group had a rally in Albany as well but 10,000 sets of feet trampled the grass so the governor used that as a reason to push this group 1000 yards back to a better place near the Albany museum, and landmark like The Egg for their protest. I think it turned out better because the place amplified the crowd like an amphitheater.

Albany, NY

Personally, I met some fantastic people both on and off stage. I love gun people. I love how we care about our country and freedom. I love how we care for what is right in the world.
    Like in all gatherings there were a few eccentric people in the crowd. There always is but nobody was out of order. You know the guy with the bad hygiene, the poor grooming habit or the ones that hold sketchy signs that they think are cute. I personally dislike the effigies. You know the ones that look like a person hanging from a string. That always looks third world or old world to me. Like there are going to lynch somebody. Somebody that looks like me. It must be in my DNA but if shots were ever fired, I am returning fire in that direction first. Just saying…

I actually don’t like crowds either after years of working security for dignitaries and VIPs. I’ve managed to manage that fear even though I know a lot about crowd dynamics. If this wasn’t a group of freedom loving, patriots I would not be there.

I got a chance to meet Donald J. Trump on this trip, and shared a stage with him. He was the headliner, the special guest and didn’t disappoint the crowd. Again this was what the people wanted. Talking heads are one thing but you have to have good charismatic speakers. He is taller than I thought and I respect the man. He didn’t get to where he is being stupid. He patted me on the arm as he went by, and encouraged me before he left. “I know you will do great. Take care.” I thought that was cool. Hope to see him again some day.

New Yorkers are different outside of NYC. I believe better. I may be partial since I married one from upstate but it is what it is.

So if you want to have a successful rally here’s what I learned.

1- Identify your people.

2- Have a clearly defined purpose.

Before the rallying begins, spread the word and use social media to get people involved in the process.

3- Plan it
    The devil is in the details. Have a team that can make things happen. You need help. If you don’t plan you will fail. Pick an area that can hold a lot of people. Call your local police station to find out if you need a permit.
    It takes more than money but you will need some. If there will be bands or guest speakers, who will they be and how will they be heard. Contact reports and media members a week or so prior to the event.
    Try to get good speakers to attend your event. There are a lot of folks that want to be heard, don’t put anyone up.
    Prepare for opposition, weather, and trouble.
    Make sure there’s a schedule of events.
    Have all the right permits and that the police are down with your peaceful assembly.
    Think: podium, speakers, mics, sound system, etc.
    Be prepared to clean up after the event.
    Go for it.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Great reporting on NY Gun rally; as well as history of gun control in NY - check

Do you think the elected elites paid attention? Time will tell. Writer of the story is correct about the difference of the people of upstate and NYC.

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Great reporting on NY Gun rally; as well as history of gun control in NY - check

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Do you think the elected elites paid attention? Time will tell. Writer of the story is correct about the difference of the people of upstate and NYC.
    He is heavily involved in gun rights in Maryland.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001