Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Dems gun control and the Governorship

Dont let the stupid hoplophobes run and ruin this state:

Pennsylvania’s Candidates Speak Out on Gun Control
    Pennsylvania’s Candidates Speak Out on Gun Control

Based on their 100% scores from Ceasefire PA, it appears that Allyson Schwartz and Katie McGinty haven’t met a gun control proposal they didn’t like. The “lowest” scoring Democrat on the ballot Tom Wolf who agreed with the gun control group almost 80% of the time. This marks a stark change from 2010 when the “lowest” scoring Democrat was against about half of the group’s policies.

I downloaded the report and will do a more thorough post on the exact issues the gubernatorial candidates want to see become the law of the land in Pennsylvania shortly. One of the delays in getting up a post about the top of the ticket statewide races has been watching the fallout after petitions went in. There have already been changes to the primary ballot with people dropping out, so I wanted to see what the playing field really looked like. Based on the quick look of the summary, pro-gun Democrats in the central part of the state need to start raising their voices – loudly – and start voting their gun rights if they don’t want to line up to turn them in, a serious policy proposal from a suburban Democrat in this state. This isn’t a “Philly” issue anymore. The anti-gun extremism is clearly spreading in Pennsylvania.
    - http://www.pagunblog.com/2014/04/07/...n-gun-control/

Katie McGinty and Allyson Schwartz scored the highest ratings in candidate ratings released Monday by gun-control advocacy group CeaseFire Pennsylvania, while Tom Wolf came in last.

The group rated the candidates on their support for policies including:

Expanding the state background check system to cover the private sale of long guns
    Requiring background checks for ammunition sales
    Requiring firearms dealers to tell the police when a customer fails a background check

McGinty and Schwartz scored 100 percent by agreeing with every CeaseFire Pennsylvania stance. McCord and Wolf lost points for some answers, with McCord scoring 84 percent (supporting 16 of 19 proposals) and Wolf 79 percent (supporting 15 of 19.)

Neither Gov. Tom Corbett nor Bob Guzzardi, whose spot on the primary ballot is being challenged by petitioners represented by the state GOP's general counsel, responded to the survey.

"By unequivocally supporting every proposal, Katie McGinty and Allyson Schwartz demonstrated broader support for a comprehensive attack on gun violence," the group states in its voters' guide.

"McCord and Wolf each raised questions or hesitated to give full support for a few important policy proposals, but each still demonstrated strong support for measures to prevent gun violence."

The full report can be downloaded here.
    - http://earlyreturns.post-gazette.com...ontrol-ratings
    Last edited by spacemanvic; April 8th, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Hold the Line...

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Dems gun control and the Governorship

Schwartz is an moron.

The end of March is one of the times were candidates have to report their fundraising results. If you do not have enough $$ on hand, especially if you have not yet started placing commercials on TV, you're in trouble. So, if your campaign is short of cash, what do you do as a candidate?? You get on the phone yourself and start calling donors to see if you can get some cash into your campaign before the reporting period ends. Usually, these calls go out to donors who have pledged money but have not yet actually written the check so to speak. If you are cold calling people at this point for money, it is a sign your campaign is in touble. If in your cold calling, you call one of your opponent's spouse for a donation to your campaign, you're a moron. Well, Schwartz is a moron.

Schwartz Calls McGinty's Husband Asking for Money

My guess is Schwartz will be all but out of the race (if not officially dropped out of the race if her ego allows it) by the end of April.

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    My guess is Schwartz will be all but out of the race (if not officially dropped out of the race if her ego allows it) by the end of April.
    Anyone considering ANY of these candidates needs to carefully read the whole report. Even the "best" of the bunch would be very comfortable hanging out with Bloomberg and the Bradys -- or in NJ. Their comments at the end of the report are very revealing.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Anyone considering ANY of these candidates needs to carefully read the whole report. Even the "best" of the bunch would be very comfortable hanging out with Bloomberg and the Bradys -- or in NJ. Their comments at the end of the report are very revealing.
    Thanks for the link to the full report. I will definitely read it.

(Susquehanna County)

There's more at stake than the governorship! Don't forget to keep the General Assembly out of Democrat hands also!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lackawanna County)

I did read this report in its entirety. In my opinion; regardless of your political affiliation, having any of these candidates as Governor (also assuming legislative backing), we would become Connecticut. Their goal is to disarm every law abiding citizen, one step at a time.

Pay attention to the extract below. Nowhere, do they provide a specific source for the data. Nor is there a description of an "assault weapon". The only footnotes in this report covered the candidates.

A study analyzing FBI data shows that 20% of the law enforcement officers
    killed nationally in the line of duty from 1998 to 2001 were killed with an assault weapon

The only way to fight these kinds of statements is with data, not opinion. Why would they need a study? Why these three years? I'm sure this data already exist. Facts, not feelings.

It Appears this information comes from the Violence Policy Center. The report date is 2003.

The gun industry's evasion of the 1994 ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines continues to put law enforcement officers at extreme risk. Using data obtained from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Violence Policy Center has determined that at least 41 of the 211 law enforcement officers slain in the line of duty between January 1, 1998, and December 31, 2001, were killed with assault weapons.8 Using these figures, one in five law enforcement officers slain in the line of duty was killed with an assault weapon.

8) The Federal Bureau of Investigation data does not identify the firearm used in some instances, in those cases the type of firearm is listed as "unknown." Therefore, the number of law enforcement officers killed with assault weapons may actually be higher. (This figure does not include the 72 law enforcement deaths that resulted from the events of September 11, 2001. The foreword of the FBI's Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted, 2001 states, "Because a catastrophe such as the September 11 attacks falls far outside the normal course of police experience, the FBI has not included those fatalities in the 2001 rate, trend, or disposition tables for to do so would skew the data and render analyses meaningless.") The year 2001 is the most recent year for which complete information is available from the FBI.

Sorry for side tracking. The Violence Policy Center is a very interesting charity. In 2011 it took in 790K in donations and spent 290K to two people in salary.
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...7#.U0R5UsHD-Uk
    Last edited by qmcorps; April 8th, 2014 at 06:42 PM.

(Bucks County)

http://stephenewright.com/fromtheblu...sault-weapons/

Very few 7.62 x 39 used. Ironically (or typically) six were shot in the middle of Clinton's years of the "assault weapons" ban.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I'm pretty sure that the General Asembly had a slight Democrat Majority when they passed the Stand your ground provisions that Rendell vetoed late in his term that were re-presented to Corbett. Granted, I do worry about how easily elected Representatives are basically bullied into towing the party line.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Wayne County)

Republicans are their own worst enemies.

(Cumberland County)

I wish the Republicans responded even if they would have disagreed with everything on that list. The "support" for an assault weapons ban has really turned me off from them, but Wolf sounds like a guy who would maybe change his mind since he keeps on putting "investigate" or "explore" in many of his comments. That could mean anything coming from a politician though.

I don't think any of the 4 democratic candidates are really well educated on guns as it is except Shwartz which appears to be on a task force.

I guess Corbett or the other Republican guy are essentially who I will probably vote for unless either one ends up being a criminal or have some other radical ideas.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast