Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh Gun Show - Monroeville, PA (4/26 & 4/27)

You can't honestly expect the average gun shop (not a big box store) who has rent, utilities, etc to be able to meet the price of the lowest possible price that some random internet vendor offers.
    That just isn't realistic whatsoever.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Elk County)

Add to the discussion the fact that CDNN is a wholesaler, not a retailer, so their prices are typically about what a "local B&M FFL" dealer would pay for the same merchandise.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You can't honestly expect the average gun shop (not a big box store) who has rent, utilities, etc to be able to meet the price of the lowest possible price that some random internet vendor offers.
    I do expect the show/shop price to be within $100 of an online price (sales excluded) Figure $30 for shipping and $30 for "transfer" on an online purchase that leaves up to $40 profit for the convenince of it being there now. fact is everybody has overhead, the "online dealers" still have the same rent, utilities, etc plus advertising and web page, most online stores also have a physical storefront aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But your local dealer (local B&M as you say) has something that your on-line "store" doesn't. It has a physical building to maintain, property taxes on said building, insurance, maintenance, heat, air conditioning, fixtures, on and on and on.

Where as the on-line store has.....software? A web site? A room in back with the inventory and maybe 4 people to man the phones. Hey....they could do this out of their garage.....and probably are doing it out of their garage. How else do you think they can cut the price so low?

OTOH, your local guy can let you hold the firearm, let you hold other firearms to compare them, give you the "skinny" on what other customers have said about them, tell you what his return rate has been. Do you pay for this? Yes. Is it worth it? To some it is. To some it's not. But, when you buy three or four guns that you are trading in or selling in 6 months because you don't like the performance, and your selling 'em at a loss.....tell me what your savings are now?

The local shops are getting squeezed. I've watched a few local's close. I've watched a few local's expand and go right out to "service and have available product for comparison to hold" the on line dealers in order to compete. These local guys are doing a darn good job. Are their (local) customers paying more in the long run? I doubt it when they keep their firearms forever.

Dave
    Is all of that worth a ~50% markup on the firearms they sell though?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    fact is everybody has overhead,
    This part of your statement is true.

the "online dealers" still have the same rent, utilities, etc plus advertising and web page, most online stores also have a physical storefront aswell.
    The "Same rent, utilities, ect?? Where do you get this at? Most online stores have a physical storefront? Some....but not "most."

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    Is all of that worth a ~50% markup on the firearms they sell though?
    Where do you get a 50% markup on firearms? Please tell me where you got this number from.

Dave

Where do you get a 50% markup on firearms? Please tell me where you got this number from.

Dave
    Sig Sauer P226 Mk 25 from CDNN and shipped to my dealer, including transfer costs: $874.99

Sig Sauer P226 Mk 25 from Gander Mountain, after tax and PICS fee: $1,275.94

A difference of $400.95. So its a bit less than 50% more expensive. 45.82% more expensive.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    Sig Sauer P226 Mk 25 from CDNN and shipped to my dealer, including transfer costs: $874.99

Sig Sauer P226 Mk 25 from Gander Mountain, after tax and PICS fee: $1,275.94

A difference of $400.95. So its a bit less than 50% more expensive. 45.82% more expensive.
    What part of Don't compare with Gander wasn't clear....because Gander is stupid high on new guns?

I can buy a pound of reloading powder at my local gun shop for $22. If I go to Gander they sell the same pound of the same powder for $34. Why would I buy it there? Why would I even compare prices to Gander. No one else is higher than Gander.

Your comparison using Gander is flawed. Shop somewhere else.

Dave

The "Same rent, utilities, ect?? Where do you get this at? Most online stores have a physical storefront? Some....but not "most."

Dave
    In order to sell guns you must have a FFL, FFL must have an address and secure storage. I seriously doubt many if any drop ship directly from the manufacturer so they must have somewhere to store inventory.

(Bucks County)

In order to sell guns you must have a FFL, FFL must have an address and secure storage. I seriously doubt many if any drop ship directly from the manufacturer so they must have somewhere to store inventory.
    Incorrect. I just got my FFL in July and do not have a store front. A TON of vendors use drop ship from places like Davidson's ( look up Gallery of guns)

Also to who ever posted a $50 mark up is what they think is fair? So I should stock a $500 piece of product... Carry it around to several shows... Do paper work and log needed forms for the buyer and only make 10%??

Middle ground folks. If you want places like wal mart to be there for you... Go for it. I will ALWAYS pay a little more to support a local business owners who know and care about each customer. How about you?
    Last edited by Mingus333; May 3rd, 2014 at 09:22 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This is how I see it as well. I have always found deals at gun shows, and what I consider a deal is a good price and I get it right now. I may be able to find it a little bit cheaper online but sometimes being able to walk out the door with it for a few more dollars is worth it, at least it is to me.

Remember ladies and gents, the real deals to be found are usually on used items where the dealer has more wiggle room. I know a few dealers so I know what cost are on many items, some times there's just not enough room for a dealer to sell below asking price, if they can't make money they would be out of business.

I also know there are dealers that are just way out of line with some prices, I just keep going when I see those. I always have a few things I'm looking for, I know what they should cost and if the dealer is close to what I'm willing to pay I get it. I'll even buy it if it's more than I can get it online for.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast