Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh Gun Show - Monroeville, PA (4/26 & 4/27)

Well I see the typical Pittsburgh cry babies are still out there...While you were walking around being mad at the cheap knife vendors you missed PAYING ATTENTION to some of the good vendors that are at gun shows and the deals that WERE there.

Here are some of my prices that you MISSED:

Kel Tec KSG - $999 out the door NIB
    Glock 42 - NIB $425
    Glock 22 gen 4 Used - $400 OUT THE DOOR
    Used original Taurus 24/7 PRO's (not the new junk G2) all calibers from $325 - $350
    Used S&W Sigma LE Trade ins $325
    Sig Sauer p220 LE Trades $499
    RRA - CAR-15 - $950 OUT THE DOOR NIB

The guy behind me had SKS' for $365 CLEAN...Nagants for $155 CLEAN. I could give you about 5 other vendors that had good or great prices and a couple that were at least fair.

If you are going to "report" on a gun show perhaps you could include the whole picture???

(Elk County)

My beef is not with the gun-related vendors and their pricing; it is with the promoter who dilutes a "500 table gun show" with unrelated garbage and turns it into a 250 table gun show.

As for vendors and their pricing, they are free to charge what they feel is necessary or desired. If I'm looking for a particular firearm or accessory or ammo and the price is IMO unreasonable, I just go elsewhere. If the firearm is is used and I know the dealer has a larger margin than on a new firearm, I'll politely try to negotiate, and usually with some success.

New Gun Example: I'm seriously considering a Ruger LCR in 22 Magnum. At the subject show, I saw them at four different dealers, ranging in price from $439 to $529. My LGS has them at $399, and Grice (1 hr away) has them at $400. Next closest LGS has them at $439. If I decide to buy, it it will be at the LGS. Best thing, I will be supporting an LGS and further developing the relationship. Win-Win.

Used Gun Example: Recently at one show a dealer had a Beretta 96 Brigadier with a $499 price tag, one magazine. After some 10-15 mins of BS-ing intermixed with negotiation, we agreed on $429 OTD ($400 + tax and $5 PICS). Initially he was firm, but I told him that my option was another same Beretta at a different dealer which was priced at $449, but had three mags ( I have plenty of Beretta 96 mags at home, but it's a negotiation point). The dealer acquiesced, saying that it had been in inventory for "8 or 9 months" with no interest. Win-Win.

The reasons I go to shows anymore are, in order of priority:

1) Social -- meeting and BS-ing with dealers and other firearm enthusiasts with whom I have long-standing relationships.

2) Looking to sell a particular firearm or accessory in which I am no longer interested. I like to take guns to shows in the eastern side of PA to sell, because prices tend to be higher there.

3) Looking for parts or "obsolete" items or accessories.

4) Looking for ammo which my LGSs do not typically stock or cannot obtain.

5) Looking to buy a particular kind of firearm, which is not available at an LGS.

Just don't clutter up a gun show with 25% to 40% unrelated trash, and charge me $9 to enter.

The only gun shows which I attend which have anything close to a "bargain" are the small "firehall" type shows where some tableholders set up to clean out their safes and closets. I have no such expectations of a large show like the subject C&E show at Monroeville, the PGCA show in the North Hills, or the large show at Wash Co Fairgrounds.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; April 29th, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mingus333 View Post
    Well I see the typical Pittsburgh cry babies are still out there...While you were walking around being mad at the cheap knife vendors you missed PAYING ATTENTION to some of the good vendors that are at gun shows and the deals that WERE there.

Glock 42 - NIB $425
    Used original Taurus 24/7 PRO's (not the new junk G2) all calibers from $325 - $350

The guy behind me had SKS' for $365 CLEAN...Nagants for $155 CLEAN. I could give you about 5 other vendors that had good or great prices and a couple that were at least fair.

If you are going to "report" on a gun show perhaps you could include the whole picture???
    There isn't a single price you posted that is a good deal. In fact, most of those prices are absurd.

Glock 42 - NIB $425

While they are average prices and not gouging I also wouldn't call those deals.

My Sig P320 was $550 out the door and the guy threw in a box of the new Sig V-Crown ammo for me to try out. I call that a deal.

The aspect of a good deal isn't always about the price. You want to make the customer feel like they got more than their money is worth. Toss in a box of ammo, cheap ammo can (LA Police Gear $6.99), sample pack of CLP (FrogLube cost $0.60ea).

Think of the movie A Christmas Story when they are getting the tree "Ill throw in some twine and tie it to your car" when you make a deal. The lack of that kind of customer service anymore is the problem and if you set yourself apart by doing so you will not only have satisfied customers but probably repeat customers.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    While they are average prices and not gouging I also wouldn't call those deals.

My Sig P320 was $550 out the door and the guy threw in a box of the new Sig V-Crown ammo for me to try out. I call that a deal.

The aspect of a good deal isn't always about the price. You want to make the customer feel like they got more than their money is worth. Toss in a box of ammo, cheap ammo can (LA Police Gear $6.99), sample pack of CLP (FrogLube cost $0.60ea).

Think of the movie A Christmas Story when they are getting the tree "Ill throw in some twine and tie it to your car" when you make a deal. The lack of that kind of customer service anymore is the problem and if you set yourself apart by doing so you will not only have satisfied customers but probably repeat customers.
    I was throwing in a box of ammo. :-) Didn't have any self def tho sorry...it was 50 round box of FMJ. Is that what you are talking about? My point was I am just tired of the "pawn stars" that think people can survive making $20 on a gun sale...because they think anything more is "absurd". It cost more in gas and table fee's truly... A cpl are avg yes but the G42 new and all the used prices I stand by. Esp with the people that bought them all were telling me and the amount of repeat customers I get. I had 4 guys "fighting" over the 2 used Glock 22 gen 4's. (2 deciding///2 waiting to say yes if they said no) so I am pretty confident the prices were just right. I am not even from the area but have customers that wait for me to bring things and or find me at that particular show. I can't do any more as a small new dealer. The people that keep trying to say gun broker prices...trust me I am on there TWENTY FOUR SEVEN. Add the shipping and your at LEAST $25 but probably $40 FFL transfer fee and you are right back to what we are talking about. If it was so good we dealers would be restocking from there. There just comes a point when you can't listen to people try to beat you up anymore because they remember when Mosin Nagants were $55 and Gas was $0.75/gal.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    There isn't a single price you posted that is a good deal. In fact, most of those prices are absurd.

You are way off base sir. Definitely know my customers were pleased with the prices they paid...appreciated the free box of ammo and usually repeat with me. As opposed to acting like a free meal doesn't taste good with no way to back it up...just provide a link to these less absurd deals on the same firearm (apples to apples). Also please ensure the price is FINAL (ie not a starting price or price below reserve) and include SHIPPING. Lastly, and without some "buddy" or "uncle" that "hooks you up" let us add the at minimum $25 fee a legitimate FFL will charge you to receive and transfer a gun they did not sell.

And after all that you add up to a total out the door price that is SO FAR below mine...I will reply here with a hearty "you were right."

Until then...I am the only one that provided real numbers and facts...most of us are below MSRP already...and trying to make a legit FT living. Don't want to start a war but really? The promoter makes the $ off both of us, customer and vendor table fee's (and sometimes even electricity!). Customers can walk away or go to someone else. Dealers have to keep coming back no matter what happens. 15-20% is not unreasonable to expect to make it worth running a business no matter what you sell. In fact most industries the avg retail mark up is 30%. If you expect us to make less let me know now and I will close up shop and keep the guns for myself...no problem there.

You are way off base sir. Definitely know my customers were pleased with the prices they paid...appreciated the free box of ammo and usually repeat with me. As opposed to acting like a free meal doesn't taste good with no way to back it up...just provide a link to these less absurd deals on the same firearm (apples to apples). Also please ensure the price is FINAL (ie not a starting price or price below reserve) and include SHIPPING. Lastly, and without some "buddy" or "uncle" that "hooks you up" let us add the at minimum $25 fee a legitimate FFL will charge you to receive and transfer a gun they did not sell.

And after all that you add up to a total out the door price that is SO FAR below mine...I will reply here with a hearty "you were right."

Until then...I am the only one that provided real numbers and facts...most of us are below MSRP already...and trying to make a legit FT living. Don't want to start a war but really? The promoter makes the $ off both of us, customer and vendor table fee's (and sometimes even electricity!). Customers can walk away or go to someone else. Dealers have to keep coming back no matter what happens. 15-20% is not unreasonable to expect to make it worth running a business no matter what you sell. In fact most industries the avg retail mark up is 30%. If you expect us to make less let me know now and I will close up shop and keep the guns for myself...no problem there.
    Ah didn't know you were giving ammo with purchase. That isn't such a bad deal then. About equal to my LGS+ ammo would make me smile.

But just to play devils advocate on Online Sales vs yours
    http://firearmtransfers.net/ $20 transfer
    Used G22, Box, 3 15rd mags + Free Shipping
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...Glock+22+Gen+4

$5 difference and that was about 30sec of research

(Allegheny County)

^^^ Right there is the whole problem - the internet.

Every single dealer in the USA is expected to match, or beat the lowest price that can be found online, or they are "gouging" bastages.

I'd imagine "the internet" killed a lot of gun shops over the years.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    ^^^ Right there is the whole problem - the internet.

Every single dealer in the USA is expected to match, or beat the lowest price that can be found online, or they are "gouging" bastages.

I'd imagine "the internet" killed a lot of gun shops over the years.
    Im sure it has, Maybe I am just spoiled because my LGS will show me his price from Jerry's Et. Al.

(Allegheny County)

ok guys i cant remember the name of one of the venders there and they something i want. if you walked in the front go right last row on the left 1st table.......help

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast