Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Gun Shop Road Trip

A few friends and I are planning another Gun Shop Road Trip. We plan to leave Pittsburgh and head north on Route 79. Along the way is an obligatory stop at a diner/cafe for a robust breakfast then on to Altra Firearms. Our plan is then to head east on Route 80 to Grice's and Bob Army Navy in Clearfield. My question: are there any other recommended gun shops along or near that route? There are 5 of us with varied interests so any shop is interesting. We have considered heading up Route 8 through Butler (Reichholds Cafe is great for breakfast) and I recall hearing of shops north of Butler so that territory is under consideration as well.

I know that reviews of some of the mentioned shops are less than stellar; we don't care, still want to visit.

This will be our third road trip this year. If you haven't done one they are serious fun. We meet early, get breakfast, and visit shops. The guys that go on the road trip are excellent companions and shooting buddies, we tend to "enable" each other on purchases.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Gun Shop Road Trip

I tend to agree, gun shop road trips are a blast. We have been doing them for quite a while now. I think we are up to #6 but here recently most of the shops we have been going to are shops that we have already been to previously, or have included a gun show.

I live in Slippery Rock. Heard a lot of good things about tommyguns. Tried to head up there once in the winter, but had my old lady's car and wouldn't make it up the road. It's a little off the beaten path, but like i said, I've heard good things. They have a website, but the guy said he does it himself, which if you look at it, is self evident. I'll be checking it out on Wednesday, as I have to take my kids back to Harrisburg to their mothers tomorrow, and will leave a little more in-depth review then.

(Allegheny County)

I went up north once to transfer a handgun. I want to say the shop was near Worthington? Pretty sure I went up 28N to Kittanning then went west on 422 a little and hung a right up a side road.
    The shop was nice sized and I want to say it was somewhat "rustic" looking - log-cabin-ish, or something. It's been a few years and I can't recall the name of it, but it was a place I'd go back to.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I went up north once to transfer a handgun. I want to say the shop was near Worthington? Pretty sure I went up 28N to Kittanning then went west on 422 a little and hung a right up a side road.
    The shop was nice sized and I want to say it was somewhat "rustic" looking - log-cabin-ish, or something. It's been a few years and I can't recall the name of it, but it was a place I'd go back to.
    Sounds like McCrea's. They're closed. Joe died.

(Butler County)

Dukes and nesbits just east of new castle. Logans gun gallery in North Washington. Morris muzzleloading in grove city(limited hours). Shooters supplies west Middlesex. Gun world in harrisville. For breakfast I'd recommend country kitchen in zelienople or brighton hot dog shop in butler

(Butler County)

If you ever head to Erie then some other stops could be tamarack armory in Meadville, double LL arms in meadville, edinboro outdoors, bobs gun shop in McKean, keystone armory in edinboro, elite firearms in hermitage, Presque isle gun shopping in Erie, maurers trading post in Franklin

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pksea View Post
    Sounds like McCrea's. They're closed. Joe died.
    I found a listing that showed where it was on the map and that looks right.
    I'd know if I saw a pic of the building, but that's likely it.
    That's a shame - seemed like a nice place.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/243...ggestions.html

This thread was started by a guy in Butler who is opening a brand new shop sometime in April. You probably have to PM him to find out if he is open yet. Then come back and post a review.

The thread was full of great ideas and suggestions. We should probably resurrect it now that April is here. Hopefully things have been working out for him.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Somerset County)

I think there's a place in Knox but I haven't been up that way in a couple of years and can't think of the name.

Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast