Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Handling/storing

I ran a search and could not find any thread that directly addressed my questions:

I've been buying bulk target ammo from a small company. When it comes, it is loose in thick plastic bags.

1) I've been handling the ammo with my bare hands when counting the rounds. Is this bad for the ammo? Should I go back and wipe down the cartridges?

2) I've been storing them in the same thick plastic bags, which aren't sealed but just twist-tied closed. I then place the bag of cartridges in a thick cardboard box. Ammo is in a climate controlled room, so no worry about temperature/humidity fluctuations.

Sorry if these are stupid questions---just seems that I keep having to learn more and more as I go.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Handling/storing

1) If the bullets have exposed lead of some sort, I would wash my hands after handling a lot of it. But I wouldn't worry about the ammo.

2) I just shot some factory ammo that has been in the house since at least 1973, it was just stored in the original factory cardboard box in the gun cabinet in a bedroom. Absolutely no problems.

In other words, don't worry about it.

Dale

Thanks Dale.

It's encouraging to know that ammo from 1973 still works great.

I always wash my hands after handling the ammo, lead, FMJ, or otherwise.

I was wondering about the oil/sweat from our hands damaging the ammo over time. I guess I'm being paranoid about that.

(Montgomery County)

Oil from fingers will tarnish the brass eventually, but I don't think it is damaging. The fired brass cleans right up in the tumbler.

I store the reloads I make in heavy duty zip lock bags, usually 200 or 250 per bag. Then I put those bags in old .50 cal cans. I wear rubber exam gloves when reloading since I use cast boolits.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I ran a search and could not find any thread that directly addressed my questions:

I've been buying bulk target ammo from a small company. When it comes, it is loose in thick plastic bags.

1) I've been handling the ammo with my bare hands when counting the rounds. Is this bad for the ammo? Should I go back and wipe down the cartridges?I normally wash my hands, but don't and wouldn't worry too much about handling's effect on the ammo. If I half thought about it, and intended very long term storage of the ammo, I might repackage them wearing plastic gloves . . . but probably wouldn't bother lol.

2) I've been storing them in the same thick plastic bags, which aren't sealed but just twist-tied closed. I then place the bag of cartridges in a thick cardboard box. Ammo is in a climate controlled room, so no worry about temperature/humidity fluctuations. If your potential storage time frame is decades, you might consider tighter storage. Otherwise your approach sounds fine to me.

Sorry if these are stupid questions---just seems that I keep having to learn more and more as I go.
    Keep learning - you also teach that way