Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool Re: Why all the different sizes on Ammo boxes

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Agree with rkrcpa about "marketing". It's like the shampoo bottle that says "20% extra" for the same price.

I recently bought what I consider a brick of Remington 22lr and the box says, "525 - Golden Bullet Value Pack". So I figure that I got 25 extra bullets.

Doubt you'll ever see such a "great bargain" with higher calibers though.
    Yep I recently saw 22lr packaged loose as ~200rds in a small metal can w a plastic top [like a peanut can]..for about $8/can! Do not tell me there has been no inflation.....dang!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Why all the different sizes on Ammo boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    Yep I recently saw 22lr packaged loose as ~200rds in a small metal can w a plastic top [like a peanut can]..for about $8/can! Do not tell me there has been no inflation.....dang!

Damn, $0.04 per round? I'd buy as many as I could get my hands on at that price.

The best price I have seen lately has been a Blazer brick of 500 for $28 or $0.056 per round at WalMart a few weeks back. I saw the same boxes listed for $40 at the gun show last week.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you were to see $50 for a box of defensive ammo you'd shit a brick, ...
    How many rounds in that brick?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It is marketing to cover up price hikes over the years.

Prior, .22LR only came in 50rnd and 100rd boxes(usually only CCI), and 500rd bricks for the average buyer.

When prices started going up from the $1, $2 and $10 standards respectively to the quantities above they started using different containers of differing sizes to mask the price hikes.

A lot of us "old timers" are were used to paying $1, $2, and $10 for those quantities, so when we saw the new prices we threw a fit. To help sell ammo again they lowered the quantities so the prices would closer reflect what we were once paying(accounting for inflation). Or they would add 25rds to make it seem like you're getting a good deal.

Centerfire handgun ammos, specifically the designer "defensive" ammos, did the same thing. From 50rnd boxes down to 20 and 25 round boxes.. They make a killing off of designer/defensive ammos - and people are stupid enough to pay for it too. It only costs a few cents more(all in the cost of the bullet) per cartridge to make good defensive hollow point ammo than it does standard FMJ, LRN, or even cheaper JHP's. No where near the $1 per cartridge that you pay for. If you were to see $50 for a box of defensive ammo you'd shit a brick, so they lower the quantities to 20 and 25 rounds which brings the price down to $20 and $25. ...the average buyer's brain tends to focus on the price than the quantity.
    Totally agree on that designer defensive loads. The markup is insane. And I DID shit a brick when I bought for the first time a box of 50 full house magnums (Remington) for my 41 magnum. At the store, box of 50 was $86.00 after tax. I can get target loads for my 41 mag that cost ~$36.00 for 50. Same weight bullet, too (210 gr).

We're getting ripped off on that designer stuff.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by elweasel View Post
    Mostly when you buy ammo it comes in packs of 50. Or divisible by 50. Now why when you buy .22LR it can come in 40/box or 50/box or 225/box 325... 425... 333... 555... I have seen all these sizes. More if you buy bulk cans of 22's. Now why? If I would say it is a shortage thing. But I have always seen these crazy box amounts. I always thought it was because its small size, you had weird numbers. Kinda like buying ammo by the weight not by the rounds. Any one know the truth? Or at least an enjoyable theory. Oh and what is a brick? I have seen describe 500 rds or 555 rds or 1000 rds. Or is it just a larger box full of smaller boxes. And is there a metric equivilant? ;-)
    My favorite ammo comes in boxes of 32 or 48. =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12