Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Armed Man Guilty of Tax Evasion Barricades Himself in New Hampshire Home

Seen this story on the news a couple times....Picture of his house below. I guess it really is a fort with a watch tower and 12 inch thick concrete walls. On the news they showed trucks blocking the road and showed that he has his own power supply and water supply and food stocked up for years to come. There's a link to another article he with him in from 94 talking about gov't trying to take peoples rights away.

Another fine American trying to keep the gov't out of his business.....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,244759,00.html

CONCORD, N.H. — A man who has holed up with armed supporters in his fortress-like house for most of his tax evasion trial was found guilty Thursday, along with his wife, of engaging in an elaborate scheme to avoid paying federal income taxes for a decade.

Ed Brown has said he will defend himself against capture if necessary; U.S. marshals said they have no plan of escalating the situation.

A jury decided the Browns plotted to hide their income and avoid taxes on Elaine Brown's income of $1.9 million between 1996 and 2003. Over 10 years, they also used $215,890 of postal money orders broken into increments just below the reporting threshold to pay for their hilltop compound and for Elaine Brown's dental offices.

A jury also found she didn't pay adequate taxes for her practice's employees, leading to a total of 17 felony convictions.

"I just hope this (verdict) sends a message to those who would rely on frivolous tax theories," Assistant U.S. Attorney Bill Morse said afterward.

Ed Brown heard of the verdict in the middle of an interview with a radio station. "The verdict is in. I can guarantee you all hell's going to break loose," he told WNTK-FM in New London.

He later said, "It's all bogus charges. None of these charges are lawful."

Ed Brown stayed in his wooded, 110-acre home this week. The large, cement-walled house features a watchtower that offers 360-degree views of the rural setting. He said the home is capable of generating enough electricity to operate if cut off from the main grid.

"My life is destroyed, what more can I say?" Brown said when reached for a brief phone conversation. "I lost my wife and she lost her business."

Brown said he expected federal agents to swarm his property soon.

"Live free or die," he said, quoting Gen. John Stark and the state's motto. "What else can I say?"

Brown and about 25 supporters said they will defend themselves against capture if necessary. Bernie Bastian, a supporter who said he was carrying two guns, said they would stand with their friend.

"He's here at the house, and he's not leaving of his own free will," Bastian said.

It's unclear how many others were carrying weapons.

"We don't like to talk about that. It's cold up here. People up here are wearing their jackets," Bastian said.

The frenzy came up during the question of leaving Elaine Brown out on bail pending the couple's April 24 sentencing. Judge Steven McAuliffe reminded Brown that she was, under no circumstances, to return to the home.

"I don't want her to barricade herself with her husband up there," McAuliffe said.

Brown said his way of handling the case is not hers.

"It's not in my mind-set or my character," Elaine Brown said. "I have no intention of returning as long as he's there."

Ed Brown is in contempt of court and has violated his bail conditions, Morse said.

"Mr. Brown has indicated he's rather die than serve a prison sentence. ... I just hope Ed decides to end this in a way that doesn't result in harm to him or his wife or anyone else involved in bringing this matter to justice," Morse said.

On Wednesday, Brown told reporters at his home: "If I should be killed or imprisoned, or my wife is killed or imprisoned, or both, those responsible will join us."

U.S. Marshal Stephen Monier said Thursday that members of his staff continued talking by telephone with Brown, but had no plans to confront him. It could be months before the Browns are sentenced and marshals have to consider how to seize the Browns' assets, possibly including their home.

Click here for more Crime news.

"We've established a good line of communication, all of our conversations have been amicable and friendly, and that's how we expect they will continue," Monier said.

The Browns, who were charged with conspiring to evade taxes, conspiring to disguise large financial transactions and disguising large transactions, maintained there was no law requiring them to pay federal income taxes.

Elaine Brown, who earned most of the couple's income, attended proceedings and accepted a court-appointed attorney to help her. She considered, then rejected a plea bargain earlier this week. McAuliffe has allowed her to stay with her son, who lives in Worcester, Mass., but not in her home.

She testified she had tried to work out a payment plan with the Internal Revenue Service in the early 1990s after her tax bill significantly exceeded her estimates one year, the Concord Monitor reported.

She said the IRS didn't respond for months, then demanded that she pay her bill in full, plus interest and penalties, even though she had made payments. She said she eventually refused to pay when she later learned of an additional fine for $3,300 and the money was seized from her bank account.

"Some people are drawn to the anti-tax movements and the false representation that there is no legal requirement to file and pay taxes. Today's verdict clearly reaffirms the repeated rejection of these arguments in the courts," IRS Special Agent Douglas Bricker said in a statement.

On Thursday, a jury found that the couple spent $215,890 through 311 postal money orders on real estate principal. The couple purchased four, $700 postal money orders at a time to pay their bills. By staying under what was then a $3,000 threshold, they avoided federal reporting and intended to keep the government guessing about their income.

The jury found the Browns must forfeit $215,000, at least part of which must by satisfied by giving up their home or the dental practice's offices.

Ed Brown, a retired exterminator, stayed home to protest a system he said had already convicted him and a media he said was in search of soundbites over truth.

"Most Americans would cower and cringe and raise their hands and surrender like a good little slave," he said this week.

"I won't. Under no circumstances. I do not tolerate cowardliness, oppression, bulliness, and I certainly don't tolerate a federal agency that has absolutely zero jurisdiction in my state, never mind in my county, in my town."

During the past few decades, Brown has claimed membership in several anti-government and militia groups including the Constitution Rangers of the Continental Congress of 1777, the Constitution Defense Militia and the UnAmerican Activities Investigations Commission, which he founded.

Also found this on him...guess he's part of a NH militia...

1994 Interview with Ed Brown: Defense Militia Builds NH Base

Default Re: Armed Man Guilty of Tax Evasion Barricades Himself in New Hampshire Home

There is a live interview with him at http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...wn+tax+evasion

About this videoA New Hampshire man has gained national media attention by his refusal to surrender to federal authorities after being found guilty by a federal jury of tax evasion. The media is mystified by the national movement of supporters converging on Mr. Brown’s New Hampshire home, many of whom are willing to risk their own lives to stand with him, even sleeping outdoors in a New England winter. This documentary explains the complex issues surrounding these events, and contains exclusive video footage of Mr. Brown explaining his position, and his determination to be killed defending himself against any government efforts to take him into custody.

Aaron Russo’s film “America: From Freedom to Fascism” (www.freedomtofascism.com) has been attracting interest across the nation, and Mr. Brown is one of many who believe the federal government lacks the legal authority to impose federal income taxes on Americans. The government seeks to discredit Mr. Brown through his conviction and presumed incarceration: "Some people are drawn to the anti-tax movements and the false representation that there is no legal requirement to file and pay taxes. Today's verdict clearly reaffirms the repeated rejection of these arguments in the courts," IRS Special Agent Douglas Bricker said in a statement after Thursday's court ruling. (Foxnews.com, 1/19/07) But Mr. Brown has made it clear that this standoff is about much more than federal taxes, and that he is by no means alone. The mainstream media are not reporting on these other issues, and are perplexed by what they see as a lone criminal preparing to die violently, backed by growing numbers of people from disparate backgrounds.

A Vermont lawyer and writer who has criticized the Bush administration in a well-researched book entitled “Christian Words, Un-Christian Actions: George W. Bush and the Desecration of Christianity in Modern America” (www.christianwords.us) grabbed a camera and traveled to New Hampshire to capture the full story of Mr. Brown and his supporters. The video is shot by his wife, and the couple is clearly not fearful of the Brown clan: further, they have been trusted by Mr. Brown to tell the story where other media are distrusted and excluded. This video powerfully explains what this is really all about, and why this standoff is likely the beginning of something much larger.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...83910136&hl=en his private message.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Erie County)

Default Re: Armed Man Guilty of Tax Evasion Barricades Himself in New Hampshire Home

Thanks for posting thos videos Frenchy. Finally got a chance to watch them and they are pretty good. I like the interview where most people 'so what there isn't a law about paying taxes, if I don't I get arrested none the less' Hope all turns out for this fine American. PAFOA roadtrip to lend a hand!?!?!!?

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    PAFOA roadtrip to lend a hand!?!?!!?
    If i could swing it i would like to head to NH to stand with him.
    I am also seriously considering moving to NH for the free state project.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Don't put your boots on yet, unless you got more snow than we did last night. First, the tax protest movement is one of the oldest concepts in the US, and has yet to prevail in the courtroom or otherwise. Read this summary, and perhaps this one. If for no other reason, to get an idea of the other camp's perspective.

Second, if the protester in question is hoping to become the next BATF martyr, he's probably going to be disappointed. The Feds can learn. The last scenario they want now is a repeat of Idaho, much less Texas. They want the bad guys to continue looking bad. Note how the controversial Lon Horiuchi's been completely out of the news since 1993.

Unless Brown's external supporters congeal into a formidable force, don’t hold your breath waiting for a spectacular ending. He’s a 65 year old man, alone. A single flash-bang rolled into his room will end it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I considered movnig to NH for the same reason, but have too much crap going on in PA. Maybe in the future I will, if they actually accomplish what they set out to do.

However, I would not advice people to instigate an armed conflict with the IRS jack booted thugs...

at least not yet.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Second, if the protester in question is hoping to become the next BATF martyr, he's probably going to be disappointed.
    Yeah Im sure at least while the attention is on him the feds will hold off.
    I do not like the idea of waiting for the feds to come and dying in a shootout.I dont believe he will accomplish much by staying at his house and waiting to be shot. Seems like a flawed tactic to me. Look at waco and ruby ridge a biased media legitimized the govts actions and most people supported them.

I say either take the fight to them or flee the country.
    He can certainly accomplish his goals if he remains alive a lot better than he can when he is dead.

It is a terrifying realization if he remains in our country he will be forced to submit to a tyrranical federal govt or fear certain death .
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Erie County)

The media has definately been legitimizing the government. My favorite was the IRS prosecuctor saying "this just proves you have to pay your taxes," well no shit sherlock holmes if you aren't allowed to even argue your defense you aren't going to win lol.

I think this will go down in a gunfight....

Differences....
    The guys house is a fortress, has the highground in all directions and concrete walls.
    The guys house has solar/wind power systems and self contained water system.
    I'm sure he has food stocked up for 10 years.

The gov't will wait him out, but will only wait so long. This isn't waco or ruby ridge where the people were ill-prepared. This guy is. Once the gov't quits waiting, maybe after a year, they will go in.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I considered movnig to NH for the same reason, but have too much crap going on in PA. Maybe in the future I will, if they actually accomplish what they set out to do.

However, I would not advice people to instigate an armed conflict with the IRS jack booted thugs...

at least not yet.
    But if you do, remember to use headshots only to get around the vests.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Westmoreland County)

SWAT team surrounding his home as I post this.

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/State_...ders_0607.html
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast