Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default LATE, but GOOD START (Pics)

FINALLY---I can see grass, not snow. This afternoon, 'let's go chuckin'---No snow, no snow. I have been trying to sight my .204 in for 2 months. Never got it done. Time to hit the fields and shoot the rust out. The gun is sighted in for 200 yards. Time to see if the hairs moved.
    I made one really nice shot at about 130 yards. I spooked the chuck and all he gave me was a shot at his left ear. The pics tell the story (GRAPHIC).
    Got 2 more at 200 +. Spooked those guys also. Maybe a new deodorant is in my future.

I can't sing the praises of that Lil' Single Shot H & R. That H&R makes me look like a good shooter. That .204 does the heavy lifting. The 6 X 24 mounted on top helps a tad.

Not the best pics, but I assure you lying on the ground I am holding a goodie up.

Time for a do over----Hello everybody out there. You know by now I hibernate when it gets cold. This began my 62nd year chasing chucks.

Today it was spongy and laying in the mud and wet grass did not get a groan out of these 73 year old bones. The passion is still there and PLEASE, NO MORE SNOW ! ! ! The clock is tickin' on me and I am greedy for quality time in the field.
    fossil---John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImAfossil; April 3rd, 2014 at 01:00 AM. Reason: fix
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: LATE, but GOOD START (Pics)

A FOLLOW UP NOTE: More like ramblings or whatever.

If you look closely at the H&R in the middle picture, you will see my unconventional scope setup.

I like the scope as close to the barrel as I can get. Lo mount rings always. No mediums, no hi mounts.

Looking closely you will see the bases and rings (both) are mounted in front of the elevation and windage adjustments. Not one in front and one in back.

This was the only way that I could get the hammer to clear the eye relief. I did this last May. I sighted the gun in at 200 yards and have not touched the adjustments since that day. The scope is stable and I believe because the .204 has little recoil and also I play with the yardage focus adjustment at the end of the tube a lot. I lucked out. I did have to put a slip on recoil pad to make up the distance I pulled the scope back to fit my trigger finger and not have the scope black out.

No fair laughing----I can hear you-----BUT, it works for me.
    fossil

(Beaver County)

About time you exited your burrow in pursuit of the ground grizzilies.

Good shooting.

No criticism of your setup from me,it obviously works quite well.

Good to hear from you,glad spring finds you well.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Lancaster County)

Glad to hear you are out of hibernation and in the fields doing what you enjoy.

(Berks County)

Love your posts. Really need to get out and make friends with some farmers so I can start up some hog hunting this year.

(Montgomery County)

what kinda accuracy you getting out of your single shot, sir?

(Lebanon County)

Thomas Paine: Now I have to bare my soul ! ! !-----I am about to hear it from the peanut gallery----My only out; "RESPECT YOUR ELDERS".

Accuarcy of the .204 ???? At 200 yards, on a bench, little wind, the 3 shot group stays pretty tight inside a 2 inch flourescent circle. I get a flyer now and then, but I know as soon aa I shoot, it's me. At 100 yards I expect (not a one holer), but 3 shots almost touching.

I have done quite a bit of target shooting in my life and consider myself to be just fair. I believe the equipment makes me better.

In most of my firearms the equipment is better than the shooter. I have this evil habit of trying to be a reformed YANKER, but I do give the trigger a yank now and then.

I bought this .204 single shot to see if it lived up to the reviews. I was going to upgrade to a bolt action. No need to. I don't keep stats, but this .204 is a one and done, +80% of the time,out to 275 yards. My longest chuck kill, with the .204, is 334 yards. Since I hit that chuck with the first shot, I call that LUCK ! ! !

Here is a summation: Chuck at 250 yds(your in trouble Mr. Porker), prone position, turn scope up to 18 to 20X, good steady trigger pull----DARN IT--I can't belive I missed. Confidence was there, my mechanics failed-----That's a snapshot of me.
    fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; April 3rd, 2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: fix

As always good to hear from you Fossil!

I'm now an assistant manager of a 4,000 acre farm in the town and state listed. We have thousands of ground squirrels and gofers. Feel free to come on out and spend a few days blasting away. You can stay with me if you would like and I can feed ya elk meat, home raised hog sausage and farm fresh eggs with no problem. Heck, I'll even wash your clothes for ya! LOL

Enjoy Fossil!

CL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfossil View Post
    The clock is tickin' on me and I am greedy for quality time in the field.
    fossil---John
    Good shootin! May you be blessed with many more years of 'chuckin'!

(Bucks County)

How is your shoulder holding up...glad to see you back at it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast