Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Buying a gun in PA

I am a MD resident who can buy a legal firearm any time I want. In other words there are no issues with me.
    My question is and please do not answer if you do not Really know.
    Can I buy a firearm that is not regulated in MD or PA from a PA resident, face to face without going through an ffl.
    I know I can go in any store in PA and buy an unregulated in MD gun anytime I want. But how about face to face with cash?
    Thanks Guys. Bud
    By the way I can do this all day long in MD face to face unless it is regulated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Buying a gun in PA

Quote Originally Posted by arbud View Post
    I am a MD resident who can buy a legal firearm any time I want. In other words there are no issues with me.
    My question is and please do not answer if you do not Really know.
    Can I buy a firearm that is not regulated in MD or PA from a PA resident, face to face without going through an ffl.
    I know I can go in any store in PA and buy an unregulated in MD gun anytime I want. But how about face to face with cash?
    Thanks Guys. Bud
    By the way I can do this all day long in MD face to face unless it is regulated.
    No. Federal law permits you to only buy direct from residents of your own state.

Even if you want to buy from a dealer in PA, that dealer has to send it to a dealer in your home state.

(Northampton County)

Effectively there are no regulated guns in PA.

Federally, any purchase of a firearm over state lines requires the involvement of an FFL. That has nothing to do with PA or MD.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    No. Federal law permits you to only buy direct from residents of your own state.

Even if you want to buy from a dealer in PA, that dealer has to send it to a dealer in your home state.
    You're half right. A person may only purchase a gun from a private individual in you're home state. Any out of state sales privately must go through an FFl.

3. Long Gun Possession

a. Possess - A person of any age may possess a LG (rifle, shotgun).

b. Purchase- A person of any age may purchase a LG from a non- licensee (not a gun dealer) who resides in the same State as the purchaser.

c. Gift / Loan - A person of any age may receive a LG as a gift or a loan from a non-licensee who resides in the same State as the recipient.

d. Outside State of Residency - A person maynot receive a LG from a non-licensee who resides in another State, except by:

1) Will or intestate succession, § 922 (a)(5)(A) giver, § 922 (a)(3)(A), receiver, or

2) Temporary loan or rental for lawful sporting purposes, § 922 (a)(5)(B), or

3) The non-resident may send or deliver the long gun to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) in the receiver’s State for purchase from the FFL, §922 (a)(2)(A)

e. It is a felony violation to willfully violate the residency laws: § 922 (a)(5) transferor’s violation, § 922 (a)(3) receiver’s violation, up to 5 years in prison.
    You may however purchase a long gun at an ffl in person from any state as long as it is legal in the state where you purchase it and the state where you live.

b. PurchaseOutside State of Residency - A person 18 years of age or older may purchase a long gun anywhere U.S.A. from a:

1) FFL if purchased in person at the FFL’s premises, or in person from an FFL at a gun show in a State where the FFL is licensed, and if the sale is lawful in both States, §§ 922 (b)(1) & (b)(3)(A).
    So to answer the OP no it must be done through an FFL.

(Washington County)

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ I can't add anything of value, so I won't babble.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Will not the answer be different if the "firearm" (here I use the word firearm rather generically, since the OP didn't specify the exact type) in question was manufactured prior to 1898?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    Will not the answer be different if the "firearm" (here I use the word firearm rather generically, since the OP didn't specify the exact type) in question was manufactured prior to 1898?
    To federal law, guns manufactured prior to 1898 are not "firearms". Nor are muzzleloaders. So the provisions of the GCA of 1968 do not apply(no FFL required under federal law).

But cartridge firearms made after 1898 require a FFL for interstate transfers. Handguns must be transferred at a FFL in the buyer's home state. Long guns can be transferred at a FFL in any state. On top of that, state and local laws apply too. If the gun is not legal in the buyer's home state, either the buyer must leave the gun in a friendly state or the transfer cannot take place.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    To federal law, guns manufactured prior to 1898 are not "firearms". Nor are muzzleloaders. So the provisions of the GCA of 1968 do not apply(no FFL required under federal law).

But cartridge firearms made after 1898 require a FFL for interstate transfers. Handguns must be transferred at a FFL in the buyer's home state. Long guns can be transferred at a FFL in any state. On top of that, state and local laws apply too. If the gun is not legal in the buyer's home state, either the buyer must leave the gun in a friendly state or the transfer cannot take place.
    That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying, knight0334.