Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Gobbler

(Erie County)

Default Spring Gobbler

Got the woodland camo, shake call, shotgun, decoys.

Spring Gobbler here I come!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Spring Gobbler

They been a hollerin around by me .....

(Wayne County)

I've got 5 different toms running around my house with a boat load of hens. First group shows up at 7:15 am. Good luck to all of ya this season.

I see one can get two beards with a special wild turkey license. What is that?

I have not been home in years to go, but this year is different, when did they do away with being out of the woods by 1 PM, I see you can hunt all day now.

"SPRING GOBBLER (Bearded bird only): May 3 –31, 2014. Daily/season limit is 1; season limit may be expanded to 2 by persons who possess a valid special wild turkey license. From May 3 –17, legal hunting hours are one –half hour before sunrise until noon; from May 19 –31, legal hunting hours are one –half hour before sunrise until one –half hour after sunset. "
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Luzerne County)

I have all of my stuff ready to go but haven't got out to do much scooting yet. They have been roosting on a hill side by my house almost daily now for the past few months. I think that is gonna be a good spot to start, if I can get some scouting time in I think It could be a good season.

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    I see one can get two beards with a special wild turkey license. What is that?

I have not been home in years to go, but this year is different, when did they do away with being out of the woods by 1 PM, I see you can hunt all day now.

"SPRING GOBBLER (Bearded bird only): May 3 –31, 2014. Daily/season limit is 1; season limit may be expanded to 2 by persons who possess a valid special wild turkey license. From May 3 –17, legal hunting hours are one –half hour before sunrise until noon; from May 19 –31, legal hunting hours are one –half hour before sunrise until one –half hour after sunset. "
    Sitting at the turkey hunting course right now. They said that the flocks are doing well so they were able to extend hours and allow some second tags.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(Washington County)

I'm trying spring gobbler this year for the first time. I think I have everything I need.

Going to pattern my shotgun this weekend, and hopefully I'll have some luck.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Montgomery County)

First time for me too. I will be heading to a friends place up near Lake Wallenpaupack, not sure where we will actually hunt.

Are the state game lands up there good?

This is my first year too. My equipment is good so it's all up the birds now. I went out in February when there was still a foot of snow on the ground and found signs all over on some public land. Obviously, I'm not gonna give up my spot, but I was extremely surprised to see sign on public land. Hopefully they stick around until opening day. Everyone I've talked to says public land sucks for turkeys, but who knows if that's true or not. If there's one thing I've learned it's that hunters will say all types of things aren't possible when they totally are. Ah, the joys of a 30 year old learning to hunt on his own...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Talio View Post
    This is my first year too. My equipment is good so it's all up the birds now. I went out in February when there was still a foot of snow on the ground and found signs all over on some public land. Obviously, I'm not gonna give up my spot, but I was extremely surprised to see sign on public land. Hopefully they stick around until opening day. Everyone I've talked to says public land sucks for turkeys, but who knows if that's true or not. If there's one thing I've learned it's that hunters will say all types of things aren't possible when they totally are. Ah, the joys of a 30 year old learning to hunt on his own...
    The amount of birds around my state forest cabin [middle smithfield] has been growing each year. I often arrive Fri nites around dusk and it is not ususual to un-roost some birds when I walk to the spring for water. They usually sit tight until I'm bent over filling the bucket before a bunch starts cackling and flying off...

I've alos had a shock gobble at 0430 whenthe outhouse door banged shut on my way out!

My problem is the amount of non-hunters arouind, I'm the south end of the SF and develpments are very close [guess where the deer go?].

Last year I had one coming to me behind camp; I had relocated after I kept hearing him by camp while I was across the road. Things were going good until I hear this really loud and strange gobble and I spot a young couple in blue hoodies walking up the gated road that goes behind my camp. Why they were walking there at 07:05 was a mystery...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast