Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spring Gobbler

Default Re: Spring Gobbler

Got set at 4:45 on an outside field corner just as songbirds started singing. At 5:10 had some clucking from pines just about 100 yards uphill from me and at 5:20 is was gobbling for just about a full hour. Awesome! Unfortunately, they didn't come to field but went up to the ridge. Eventually I made my way up following the rare distant gobble. Sat again and was calling and at the same time, I now know, another hunter bisected me. Oh well I backed out. Then quiet.

Fun day, now I may need to take a day off this week... Got ideas for new approach and set! Back door these birds!

No luck here either, worked one for about 1.5 hours, but he hung up on a stone wall behind me, he circled 270 degrees, but at a distance, then hung up on the wall over steep knoll about 50 yards out, then I worked him some more after lunch, but he must of had hens with him, had one hen come to within 20 yards of my decoys, then walked up on another hen coming out for lunch, and when it was all said and done, I glassed two gobblers and two hens working my neighbors corn field around 5. I would go back out, but to get in on those birds requires about a 1 hour hump from the backside, with two creek crossings.. Those ones are educated, and can be seen from the road, so that's where they typically get hunted from. If I come in from the back, I'll have a better chance.

Set up the decoys in corn field stubble, 3 hens and a jake, had that hen sounding off, and first thought is another hunter stocking the flock,. she sounded too sweet though after the 3 series of sounding off.

Plenty of time yet..patience is due.

I am going to stay on the first long beard, next week, and just note the ones in my neighbors field for another time, maybe a late after noon trek.
    Last edited by tollster; May 3rd, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Bucks County)

Nothing for me yet either...

I was hoping to hop on here and at least see some pictures of dead birds.

Well I regret to inform everyone that I had a shot at a long beard opening morning, and missed. It was a series of bad events that ended in a failed hunt.

After observing the morning before from a distance, we didn't know exactly where the roost was but had a good idea. Getting set up in the morning (about 4:30) we got in too close. Yes, I said too close. Right after we got setup the closest bird sounded off literally 2 or 3 trees away from us. We had two decoys out about 10 yards. After that, we sat in the middle of a gobbling orchestra until about 10 minuets before day break. It was so awesome to be able to make them out in the trees and hear nothing but gobbles from 5 different birds. At this point we thought all was good. Once the sun came up and they were looking to fly down, they saw the decoys and shut up real quick! This was a bad sign.

About 10 min later the closest bird left the roost, but not our way. Things were unraveling quickly. Still no noise from the other roosted birds. They finally decided to fly down into the field in front of us. It was an amazing sight watching them all come out of the trees. Total there were (3) hens (1) bearded hen, and (4) long beards. They were out around 100 yards or so and keeping there distance. Once on the ground you could see they knew something was wrong. My best guess is that they knew the other birds in the area to well and those decoys just didn't belong. They did no strutting and were still completely quiet on the ground. The hens started heading our way and crossed under a fence about 25 yards from us. We thought great, the toms should follow. Well they didn't. After about another 10 min, the (4) toms split up. (2) went back to the creek bed and made it back into the woods. The other (2) started making there way to the same fence the hens went under but out around 45 - 50 yards. The were moving quickly, but heads were up. We both took a shot in an attempt to double up. Neither of us were successful...

I patterned my gun out to 55 yards and had 17 pellets in a beer can, so i felt comfortable with the shot. I don't know what happened. I heard my buddies shot right before I pulled the trigger, and very well may have pulled the shot. Very disappointing. I haven't given up, and have been back hunting yesterday morning and this morning. Hopefully will be posting some pictures in the near future.

This was a huge learning experience for me. These damn birds are really freaking smart. Just thought I'd share.

(Bucks County)

Didn't see or hear any birds today. Will be setting up in a different location next time I get out.

I too was hoping to see some pics in here by now
    Last edited by firebird.77; May 6th, 2014 at 05:24 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I have to find someplace in SE PA to hunt them.
    I cannot drive to my friends place in the Poconos ever Friday night.

Any ideas?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post

Any ideas?
    I was hunting one section of SGL 139 today, where I had seen a flock in the fall. I know that's not the best way to judge where they will be in the spring, but it's not like I have a ton of options regardless. I will hunt the "other half" of 139 the next time I go out.

If you want me to PM you details on the locations I will, but so far I have not seen birds this spring so it's not like its great intel.

Being a night owl, this 4 am shits getting old!

I've been out daily as well, I heard one yesterday, but he roosts on private land, so I try to stake out the turkey highway, the last two days he's heading north..away from me..

I checked with the farmer across the road yesterday, he gave me permission to hunt, so I'm on my way out now to see if I can put one to bed for the night.

Tomorrow mornig ay be better, cool down tonight with localized frost, fronts coming in late tomorrow night.. then a warm up.. so the next two days may create a different pattern, hopefully the same one I've been failing at..

Good story ZSwartley... damn the luck... what ever you think them damn birds are gonna do, the do just the opposite... Maybe I should just ask my wife what she thinks they're gonna do? LOL
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    Being a night owl, this 4 am shits getting old!
    I'm not much of a night owl, but I agree. Especially because I should be tagged out by now. I still cant get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    Good story ZSwartley... damn the luck... what ever you think them damn birds are gonna do, the do just the opposite... Maybe I should just ask my wife what she thinks they're gonna do? LOL
    HAHAHA that might just work! [EDIT] Let me know what she says!
    Last edited by zswartley; May 7th, 2014 at 03:44 PM.

(Bucks County)

Well, I took this morning off, but a guy I hunt a lot with got one around 5:55 am.

Here's a picture to prove these bastards can be killed lol.

8 1/2" beard
    1 1/8" spurs
    Last edited by zswartley; May 7th, 2014 at 03:45 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post

Any ideas?
    two words.. New Jersey.
    I duck hunt a lot so the out of state license pays for itself pretty quick and there area ton of birds over there.
    Volunteer firefighters, unpaid professionals

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast