Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Gobbler

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Spring Gobbler

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    Of course, you already know how long the spring gobbler season is because you've checked your hunting digest that you got with your license, that you got after taking the HTE. You also know you can only harvest 1 bearded bird, unless you buy a 2nd tag.
    I've never gone hunting before for anything. Don't know a thing about it. Of course I know you need a licence and all.

(Westmoreland County)

Went out to my uncle's place with my daughter on the 26th. We were calling and heard some gobbles. Saw 5 go by but couldn't make out any beards. She didn't get one but, as usual, just seeing a few birds was as good as getting one.

I just sprayed my clothing with tick spray, got my hot seat, scrubbed my calls,, gathered my camo face and glove nets, checked my stamp pen for ink, reviewed the PA gobbler laws, and looked look over my shotgun.
    Have everything set in a pile for the morning, including my shells. Always seems like a lot of shit, even after I reduce it first time round..

The birds in the northeast have been pretty silent up to now, this low pressure isn't helping, combined with the wind. I'll likely see if I can put one to bed tonight, or at least scout some of the corn fields later.
    Start out with a few locator calls around 5 am, and sneak in on the uphill side within 100-125 yards, or between them and the corn.
    If its cool, overcast and windy, I'll likely take a few decoys and set them up in the corner of a corn field or one of the turkey highways, and sit it out...

Best plan I can think of, I have seen birds most every other day for the past two weeks, found a single hen this morning near a hedge row, but only heard one gobbler all spring, and those damn geese the feed in the corn don't make things much easier, I have mistaken their calls a few times on a windy day, I don't even hear gobblers shock calling after I hear the geese..

Need a few warm sunny days or a clear high pressure morning to liven things up..
    Maybe I'll find a few morels during my hunt tomorrow, the may apples are just beginning to sprout..

Good luck, know your target, and keep your back to a bigger tree!
    Last edited by tollster; May 2nd, 2014 at 04:20 PM.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Bucks County)

Went out scouting this morning in Upper Bucks. First bird woke up at 5:06 with several others in the area sounding off. The first bird hit the ground 5:26. Put eyes on 4 longbeards, 1 jake, and 2 hens. 1 looked like a trashcan strutting around out there... huge!

Exciting stuff. After all that rain we just had these birds were ready to wake up and get out of the tree on a nice morning like today. Hopefully tomorrow will provide the same results.

Good luck everyone. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    I just sprayed my clothing with tick spray, got my hot seat, scrubbed my calls,, gathered my camo face and glove nets, checked my stamp pen for ink, reviewed the PA gobbler laws, and looked look over my shotgun.
    Have everything set in a pile for the morning, including my shells. Always seems like a lot of shit, even after I reduce it first time round..

The birds in the northeast have been pretty silent up to now, this low pressure isn't helping, combined with the wind. I'll likely see if I can put one to bed tonight, or at least scout some of the corn fields later.
    Start out with a few locator calls around 5 am, and sneak in on the uphill side within 100-125 yards, or between them and the corn.
    If its cool, overcast and windy, I'll likely take a few decoys and set them up in the corner of a corn field or one of the turkey highways, and sit it out...

Best plan I can think of, I have seen birds most every other day for the past two weeks, found a single hen this morning near a hedge row, but only heard one gobbler all spring, and those damn geese the feed in the corn don't make things much easier, I have mistaken their calls a few times on a windy day, I don't even hear gobblers shock calling after I hear the geese..

Need a few warm sunny days or a clear high pressure morning to liven things up..
    Maybe I'll find a few morels during my hunt tomorrow, the may apples are just beginning to sprout..

Good luck, know your target, and keep your back to a bigger tree!
    Ditto. Good luck. Put my blind out last week to save some time manana. At least as a starting point. Up at 3am, 1 hour out. Hopefully in blind by 4:15am.

(Montgomery County)

Packed up and ready to go. Scouted a bit this evening. Found lots of signs, saw one flying to roost. Also saw fresh bear tracks 😳

Good luck to all

(Carbon County)

I don't hunt them in the spring, but driving around I have seen a few young ones out in the grass. Like young bucks, they know something is going on, but don't know what to do about it. I hope the action picks up a little for you guys that hunt them in the spring.

(Montgomery County)

No luck today. Went into the Delaware State Forest.
    One gobbler answered my calls and approached, but never close enough to take a clean shot.

Heard lots of other people taking shots, a fair distance away.

Then the bear, whose tracks I saw last night, showed up and that was the end of that. Twas time to hike out.

(Bucks County)

Going out turkey hunting for the first time this year. Saw a bunch this fall and will try the same area. Can't get in the woods until Tuesday.

Patterned the shotgun, got a pop-up blind and box call.

Hoping some beginners luck will help me land my first big game animal.

(Washington County)

No luck for me this morning either. It was so damn windy and was getting worse by the minute.

Maybe my luck will be better Monday.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast