Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Sources of brass and bullets any real differences?

Save your brass from the factory stuff you have bought, and shot. Also, as others have said, collect brass at ranges, but if the people are still shooting, ask first. Most people do not reload, so they do not pick up their brass, so are more than happy if you do.

I have never bought brass for reloading unless it is an oddball caliber I reload, so that component is essentially free for me. The cost is just my time to pick it up.

There are plenty of guys here that will sell you brass for a cheap price. Better yet, check out your local gun club or public shooting range. With the exception of odd ball calibers I have never paid for brass in over 20 years of reloading.

(Lehigh County)

I stand corrected as it's closer to .06 per round cleaned. Still a lot cheaper than new, but much more than free.

On the powder, Army Navy in Whitehall has Unique in stock.

Begs the next question. The Aliiant site shows load data for 9MM Luger in Speer cases and Speer 115 GDHP. Is it reasonable to assume that that load is stable for any brass case or any jacketed 115 grain bullet?

Neil

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ngum Rights View Post
    ... . . .

Begs the next question. The Alliant site shows load data for 9MM Luger in Speer cases and Speer 115 GDHP. Is it reasonable to assume that that load is stable for any brass case or any jacketed 115 grain bullet?

Neil
    As for the brass and bullet manufacturers specified in the loading manuals, they do this so the reloader can have an idea of what the case internal volume will be. I have found that when dealing in moderate loads one manufacturer's brass is pretty much the same as any other. Yes, reasonable. Pretty much same-o with type/style/weight of bullets. As long as you do not materially alter the recipe, you probably will obtain similar result in pressure/velocity.

There may be small variations in cases from mfr to mfr, but they generally are comparable, even the boxer-primed Chinese 9mm (I've reloaded and shot a bunch of that). However, there is always the infamous "A*MERC" brass, which does not have ANY standard and follows no general rule, so MY general rule is to check headstamps and sort out A*MERC brass and take it directly to the recycler. A*MERC brass has been the source of a few threads here in the past.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    Reloading components are getting as hard to find as loaded rounds. Good luck. If you find a source for Unique powder let us know.
    I saw some Unique in North Carolina but none since in my various visits in different states. So it's out there. Somewhere.

It's funny that in places like Cabelas in other states(haven't been to Hamburg since Feb.), ammo is stacked to the ceiling, piled up in hundreds and thousands of boxes available for popular calibers like 9mm. But you can't get powder.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    There are plenty of guys here that will sell you brass for a cheap price. Better yet, check out your local gun club or public shooting range. With the exception of odd ball calibers I have never paid for brass in over 20 years of reloading.
    I can't imagine why anyone would buy brass. I'd get it from people that don't want it or buy factory ammo, shoot it up and recover it for yourself.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I can't imagine why anyone would buy brass. I'd get it from people that don't want it or buy factory ammo, shoot it up and recover it for yourself.
    If factory ammo costs (eg) $0.40, and if (eg) bullet/powder/primer costs $0.15, whenever buying brass costs less than $0.25 its cheaper to buy brass.

Getting it free is always good though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12