Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Ruger VS Kimber 1911

so i was in my local shop, i have a large collection but for some reason i have never bought my favriote gun the famous 1911. i have a Delta Elite on its way that i just ordered. but i want a .45 to carry (a commander model). i was at the shop looking at a Kimber for $1100 and a Nice ruger commander for $650 or so. is the kimber really almost double the price, better? the ruger looked fine to me. but i never owned or shot a kimber. so what is your opinions out there.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ruger VS Kimber 1911

I can't comment on the Kimber, but I can say from experience with one that the Ruger would definitely be $650 well spent.

(Allegheny County)

Can't speak for the Kimber, but the Ruger is a whole lotta gun for $650 doll hairs. I love my fullsize.

(Bucks County)

well that sounds good enough for me. any issues fireing different kinds of ammo out of the ruger, target ammo, defence ammo
    Last edited by Doug45; April 4th, 2014 at 01:56 PM.

(Chester County)

I've shot a few Kimbers in the past, but I own two Ruger SR1911s. The SR1911CMD is my daily carry. $650 is a good price. I paid $700 for mine.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug45 View Post
    well that sounds good enough for me. any issues fireing different kinds of ammo out of the ruger, target ammo, defence ammo
    Tula, brass case FMJ, hollow points...never had a hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I've shot a few Kimbers in the past, but I own two Ruger SR1911s. The SR1911CMD is my daily carry. $650 is a good price. I paid $700 for mine.
    Got mine right when they came out and were hard to find for $800. Yikes.

(Bucks County)

If you can get the Ruger for 650 dooo ittt...

A whole lotta gun for $650...(i dont own one but shot one)....

I have however owned high end kimbers, and must say they are nothing like the old kimbers pre 80 series trigger and q/c and part materials have went they way of the dodo when kimber went through shit in the mid 90's and Dan Copper left and Elmwood took over Kimber and Jericho Manfucaturing....

Today Kimber's name keeps them going and have a cult of a following...i must say their styling is nicer than some, but q/c and part materials dont equate to a 1400 dollar 1911(CS has always been good to me though), IMO....

Unless you are set on a particular Kimber model for your collection....The ruger for that price would win out everday in my book

(York County)

I've owned 3 kimbers and had the pleasure of shooting the Ruger, and while I think the kimbers might have been a little more upscale, they weren't twice the price upscale, especially from an accuracy standpoint. They might have been a hair more accurate, but to be fair, they were using full stainless guide rods, 2 were bull barreled, and the 3rd had a fitted Briley bushing. For the money, I'd buy the Ruger.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    If you can get the Ruger for 650 dooo ittt...

A whole lotta gun for $650...(i dont own one but shot one)....

I have however owned high end kimbers, and must say they are nothing like the old kimbers pre 80 series trigger and q/c and part materials have went they way of the dodo when kimber went through shit in the mid 90's and Dan Copper left and Elmwood took over Kimber and Jericho Manfucaturing....
    Today Kimber's name keeps them going and have a cult of a following...i must say their styling is nicer than some, but q/c and part materials dont equate to a 1400 dollar 1911(CS has always been good to me though), IMO....

Unless you are set on a particular Kimber model for your collection....The ruger for that price would win out everday in my book
    This.

Kimber makes a $600 gun and sells it for over a grand. They look exceptionally nice, but the quality just isn't there.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug45 View Post
    i was at the shop looking at a Kimber for $1100 and a Nice ruger commander for $650 or so. is the kimber really almost double the price, better?
    Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    This.

They look exceptionally nice, but the quality just isn't there.
    The real question is is it $450 better. The real answer is no. Chances are good that Kimber model has a plastic MSH, something that will go to pieces as soon as you don't have everything perfectly lined up when you put it back together after a detail strip, which sure as I'm sitting here, you'll eventually want to do. Their budget 1911's ($1000 range) are not any better than the other's budget 1911's.

Kimber makes some nice guns, but to get one that's all metal with everything working like it should (to Kimber's standards), you'll need to get one from the custom shop.....with custom dollars, from your custom wallet.

FWIW, we looked at all the commander 1911's out there for under $1500 and my wife went with a Para Expert commander. AL frame under a nitride coated SS slide. $639.00 with rebate: http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/para...ert-commander/
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast