Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: First AR

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: First AR

Give this guy a call: http://forum.pafoa.org/commercial-bu...ate-offer.html I bought one of his DPMS AR's from him and after the $50 rebate it came to like $560. I picked up a used...but not a scratch on 'em fold down Midwest Industries sights for $50. You can buy a set of brand new open sights for about $100 to $150, get a second magazine, and just go shoot.

Hey, it's just a plinking rifle for me and not the "Bee's Knee's" of rifles. I have my 800 yard bolt action groundhog shooters in 6.5 calibers and .223 calibers. This AR is just to plink with.

I don't care that there are better, I don't care that it doesn't have a bull barrel, I don't care that the barrel isn't free float. It's just flat out fun to shoot. After all....what are you gonna do with it anyway?

Dave

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    This barreled upper:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...m-red-dot.html NO!!! Carbine length in a 16" barrel, again NO. Find a mid-length in a 16" barrel. Go with ALL PSA parts in the spec list. BTW, M4's are have 14.5" barrels.

This lower:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ion-black.html Yes.

I'm thinking about picking up these
    Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Bro, do you even operate?
    It is my understanding, he has never taken a class.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lehigh County)

I think DavidTM has provided the best answer. Well written. (I will conclude he is not wearing camo.)

(Butler County)

I personally wouldn't buy PTAC stuff when there's other stuff available for just a little bit more. Also, you still need a BCG and charging handle.

Getting this upper would essentially get you a functional rifle minus a rear iron sight.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html

Or save $30 if you don't mind a possible cosmetic issue somewhere on the upper.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-handle-1.html

Not that upper. Ptac ≠ PSA in forms of quality. PSA > Ptac. I've only read about Ptac, but have used PSA quite a bit. It's mostly FN parts.

The lower is fine if you don't feel like putting it together yourself.

You may have to wait until some things come back in stock from PSA if you're looking for savings. If you wait, you can have a better rifle than a 6920, for the same price.

When it comes to firearms, you can have it cheap, you can have it good, you can have it fast...pick any two.

If I were you:
    Mid Length 14.5" Light Weight hammer forged barrel with an Epsilon VG6 pinned to it.

16" barrels with carbine length hand guards look AIDS-gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    It is my understanding, he has never taken a class.

I've watched a few Pat Rogers youtube videos, so I'm good to go.
    Last edited by animalmother85; April 4th, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Allegheny County)

I don't bother saying what to stay away form. As soon as you do that some asshole comes along and gets personally offended by your opinion. I don't have time for that drama. I'm sure all the Colt users will catch flack for paying the "pony tax" at some point in this thread.

At $600 if you want a range plinker look at the S&W M&P Sport. You will loose the forward assist and dust cover. I think the FA could be useful in a defensive situation but the dust cover only if you carry a rifle daily in harsh environment .

The best priced serious defensive rifle is the gold standard Colt 6920 and that is $1000. If you can stretch your budget you will not be disappointed and ever wonder if you bought a quality rifle. There are better (and more expensive) rifles. But the Colt is the standard of reliability that everyone else is compared to.

If you want more than a range plinker and absolutely positively cannot push your $600-900 budget to $1000 look at PSA to either build or buy a complete rifle. They also sometimes have $1000 rifles packages that come with quality RDS like the Aimpoint PRO.

You can sometimes find a better price used. But allot of used sellers are still trying to recoup their money when they bought high during the panic and prices can be close to or more than what you can find online.

This is just one man's opinion. But one man who started out at the $600-800 ish budget and spent a good year researching what rile to buy and decided to spend the extra $200 on the Colt and have never regretted the decision.
    Last edited by QuackXP; April 4th, 2014 at 10:16 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by av8tr123 View Post
    I think DavidTM has provided the best answer. Well written. (I will conclude he is not wearing camo.)
    Not when the post was made.....but my "ride" was.

(Centre County)

M&P Sport is a fine starter rifle that won't break the bank. The specs are there for a non combat AR and leaves you some money for additional mags, ammo, red dot, and a light. Smith should take care of you if there is an issue.

I have two PSA rifles that have both served me very well. Building a stripped lower allows you to know more about the gun, may save you some bucks, and YouTube will show you the way. I *personally* am not a fan of PTAC shit, although others will chime in on their quality for the price, etc. Buy the upper in the configuration of you choosing. Realize that, with PSA, you will be waiting a solid two weeks before you see your upper. A mid-length would be a plus....
    Last edited by FLICK; April 4th, 2014 at 10:28 AM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Bucks County)

I've been thinking about a spikes upper, it comes with bolt carrier group (bcg) and a charging handle for 529 from joebobs ,I don't know whether you want a carbine or a rifle.

My first ar was a kit from palmetto, 20" and a lower from widners (lrb brand)which make it a civi m-16. I wanted the rifle first. I'm happy with how it runs, haven't had a problem with it yet.(probly1000 rnds thru-it)

Now I'm looking for a carbine (16" barrel) spikes seems to have a good name, If you buy a complete upper pay attention to whether it has the bcg & charger. that's why i think I'm going with the spikes upper. 529 with the bcg and charger and joebob gives free shipping...

now is a good time to build, The same lower i used(lrb 89$) is going for 69$ now.

Have fun. if you like guns, no truer statement was ever made, "you won't stop with one" .. It a fun rifle to shoot.

1 thing to mention, I've never bought from joebob's, they look to be a reputable company and haven't found anything bad about them .. use your own judgment though..
    Last edited by 51158; April 4th, 2014 at 11:19 AM.
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Montgomery County)

OP, no matter what rifle you buy now, in a few months/less than a year it will look completely different after you spend some time with it and start adding accessories or swapping things out. Or you may just buy another rifle and have the first one as a spare.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast