Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Bayonet on SAR-1

Heya probably someone here would be able to answer this. I recently got a cheap SAR-1 to do some work on, I also have one I bought from Aubie in Sept. My question is, what do I need to install bayonets on them. If anyone can provide help it would be appreciated.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Bayonet on SAR-1

Does it have a bayonet lug? Does it have a muzzle break? If so....

1. Buy bayonet
    2. Slide bayonet on

(Luzerne County)

Some of the Romy bayo lugs had a sloppy "Clintonization" and the Bayos will still mount and hold (for show/display-not stabbin' cats , try it first. I also had luck with welding (mig) a piece of metal for a new lug or welding and grinding to make a lug. Look at a bayo and you will be able to picture how much material is needed and where. The "proper" way would be the Romy front sight block, a Romy Brake and a Romy bayo. I don't think all of these items are available/still available and estimated cost is around $200 for that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    ...The "proper" way would be the Romy front sight block, a Romy Brake and a Romy bayo. I don't think all of these items are available/still available and estimated cost is around $200 for that route.
    Holleta: are you thinking of an SAR-2, by any chance?

As far as an SAR-1, the front sight block isn't involved with the bayonet positioning.
    • The bayonet hilt ring is machined to slip over a slant-style brake, so he'll need to find a way to increase the barrel diameter at the front sight.
    • The bayonet lug on an SAR-1 is under the gas block, not the front sight block. So he'll need to replace the gas block with an original to restore the functionality.
    The front sight block and gas cylinder are both pressed on, and pinned into place. Research front sight cant correction to read up on moving or adjusting these items.

This will also have possible 922 implications since he's changing it's importabilty status. If it already has enough US parts, he should be okay.

If you really must have bayonet attachment capability, the safest approach is simply buying a pre-ban AK. I have several pre-bans, I don't think I've ever had a reason or occasion to attach the bayonets on either.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the info, and it was more of a if it was easy, I would do it. It isn't and I have no plan on using my SAR-1's for anything other than sending metal through it.

(Luzerne County)

PA Rifleman, Yes, I am referring to the SAR-2 for the new gas block assy method. I do however have a Bayo on one of my SAR-1s from just having leftover material on the lug as I mentioned. Granted it's not going to hold up during the modern day equivalant of Picketts Charge but it does what I want it to. Hold up the gun on the Gun Rack (AKs are shorter than my rack spacing). The barell fit is loose (No brake) and it won't stand a lot of abuse but it locks on and holds my SAR in the rack just fine.