Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Lycoming County)

Default coyote hunting in pa

I keep hearing coyotes out side my hunting cabin about midnight barking and hoooo ing.all the time. i have never hunted coyotes before. bought electrictronic caller cant get them in close to were i can see them. working on mouth caller but need practice. is night the best time to hunt them? and whats good bait? all the dvd i have bougt they are hunting them out west and big open fields. very thick in my neck of the woods. cant wait to shoot first one or two

(Westmoreland County)

Exclamation Re: coyote hunting in pa

Excellent statewide response to this hunt. Thanks to all and to all are welcome. We'll have a blast ! Pardon the pun. You wouldn't believe the mail and or email i have received about anti coyote hunting. Not any big numbers, 3 to be exact but the boobs actually don't see any merit in hunts for coyote. No stated facts only conjecture that would have sheep farmers going crazy and I have no clue with helping deer and turkey using their ideas. This is America and God love them for their passion. I'll respect them for that, as long as others are respected for their opinion as well. I am familier with the wildlife biological reproduction angle, but these opinions don't include the migratory nature of the species that require hunters to respond or lose deer herds or turkey flocks in a short time. Predators are predatory and man sits atop that pole. Yes we either figure a way to eliminate reproduction of coyotes on demand or we simply hunt them. They won't be hunted unless something like a hunt spurs hunters to hunt them. Coyotes offer no palatable reasons to hunt, unlike the majority of other wild fare. Hunts create an opportunity for specie regulation by the people who care the most about other species survival. With this thought may I declare THE BIG DOG HUNT IS ON ! For more information visit http://www.tubmilltroutclub.org . I've been posting this message on various boards. Also though I have a question. I'm hearing the game commission may require a coyote hunter to possess a furtaker license for harvesting coyotes. Ooo-la-la another $$$ maker for the gameboys. Got any info on that anyone.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: coyote hunting in pa

Get yourself a DECOY - Stuffed animal.

Set it out about 50 yards from where you want to shoot it and get a electronic call and place the speaker near where the stuffed animal is at.

Shoot everyone that you see.

Wear camo clothes and do not move around.

Eliminate scent and do not smoke while hunting coyotes.

chances are that you cabin is in one of their hunting areas - night time, and not necessarily in one of their daytime areas.

Get a red light and shoot them with your shotgun at night.

Unhappy Re: coyote hunting in pa

Game biologist here in Oregon report that 90% of new born antelope are killed by coyote. Deer & elk fawns also fall prey. Also that they have video of a coyote grabbing a buck deer by the nose and dragging it down. Sheep are often just stupid and stand still while coyote has it by the throat. Have never seen a groundhog here in Oregon... not sure if never carried beyond the Rocky mountains or coyote get some credit. Cougars are fast becoming a problem to farmers raising livestock.... and a concern of coyote callers using mouth calls.

Unhappy Re: coyote hunting in pa

Game biologist here in Oregon report that 90% of new born antelope are killed by coyote. Deer & elk fawns also fall prey. Also that they have video of a coyote grabbing a buck deer by the nose and dragging it down. Sheep are often just stupid and stand still while coyote has it by the throat. Have never seen a groundhog here in Oregon... not sure if never carried beyond the Rocky mountains or coyote get some credit. Cougars are fast becoming a problem to farmers raising livestock.... and a concern of coyote callers using mouth calls.

I recently had a conversation with bowhunter about coyote techniques, calls, etc. I've hunted coyotes for around 15 years and would be happy to go over various approaches to hunt them. We hunt them several different ways, but I'm sure you could adapt some of the techniques and find one that works best for you. Drop me a PM or just let me know and I'll go over some stuff pretty thoroughly here. Best of luck to all of you guys.

Smile Re: coyote hunting in pa

Tomcat -- Am interested in the info U are willing to share. Do not know what UR reference to a PM means. Anyhow, my email ad is dihunter@comcast.net and my snail mail ad is 1941 Brittany, Eugene, OR 07405

I have taught a number of seminars on critter calling (couote, elk & crow) and published a "Coyote Hunters Guide and Logbook". Will send U a free copy if U would like. -- Chuck Reich

(Westmoreland County)

I'm starting to believe that I have a serious coyote problem on my property. A young kid that hunts out here says that there are dens (he counted 5) over the back hill and chicken feathers all over the ground. (The neighbor has a chicken farm). What is the best defense? I haven't actually seen them and my neighbor has so many chickens and other assorted animals that he may not notice. Help!

(Washington County)

Right around now is the coyote's mating season. Try using a challenge howl to get them to come in. Don't call from the same location after they bust you. It only takes one time for them to learn that location is trouble.

I was deer hunting all day today. While walking down a logging road I noticed a set of coyote tracks. Then about 10 yards down the road the tracks split. 30 yards later they blended into 1 track again. A male was following a female and he was stepping into her tracks as they walked. I never saw this before.

(Westmoreland County)

Interesting....looking forward to taking a walk in the woods later. Downloaded a coyote call and I am going to try it out. Would love to get some good pics or video!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast