Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Choosing what powder to use

Hello I am very much considering getting into reloading. I spent a month deciding on which equipment I will need, and now I am onto powder. Frankly I am confused as to how to determine which powder to use. So I guess my questions are

1. Can I use any powder? (brownells has about 6-8 different brands)
    2. Do I have to match bullets and primers to powder?
    3. Will recommended powders be in various manuals/handbooks?

I am probably missing a ton of questions that I could ask, but I am having a brain fart trying to figure this out.

Any information on this would be great.

thanks

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Choosing what powder to use

Quote Originally Posted by Tele View Post
    Hello I am very much considering getting into reloading. I spent a month deciding on which equipment I will need, and now I am onto powder. Frankly I am confused as to how to determine which powder to use. So I guess my questions are

I am probably missing a ton of questions that I could ask, but I am having a brain fart trying to figure this out.

thanks
    Get a couple of reloading manuals. I like the Lyman and Hornady ones I have personally. Go to the calibers that you want to start reloading for and look up what different powders are used in the published loads. If you want to get a feel for it pick a caliber and google load data for it. You should be able to find a couple of published loads for it to start with.

Their are a lot of differences in powder but, some powders work for multiple calibers. I'm still learning myself as I just got into reloading a few months ago. I started out using Unique for my pistol calibers as it works well for lots of different ones. My first rifle calibers are 30-30, 30-06, and 7mm-08. I just picked up some IMR 3031 and 4350 because I have load data for all three with either powder. I figure I'll work up some loads with both and see what preforms better for me.

(Bucks County)

1. Can I use any powder? (brownells has about 6-8 different brands)No, because . . .
    2. Do I have to match bullets and primers to powder?Different calibers and different bullets have different requirements for powder and primers. Simplistically, some powders burn fast, others slow, and the larger/heavier the bullet and longer the barrel (generally) the slower the powder needed. Primers come in rifle and pistol; within that, large, small, and other designations.
    3. Will recommended powders be in various manuals/handbooks?Yes. google "Hodgdon reloading data" and take a look at the data. Repeat for other powder manufacturers. Do that while you are waiting for your reloading book (eg Hornady) to arrive

I am probably missing a ton of questions that I could ask, but I am having a brain fart trying to figure this out. Yup. You need instruction and info. Get a reloading book, eg Hornady. Read that and then you will begin to find other resources on the internet.

thanks
    We *all* start with a reloading book, Yes, a book lol. You will need it for reference too.

(Berks County)

You need to stop right now and get a reloading manual....I recommend more than one.

There are a few different brands and among them Hundreds of different types of powder Some are for pistol and some are for rifle. If you like your fingers and eyes you do NOT want to mix them up or your gun/guns may go kaboom along with any body parts in the area. The most disastrous would be putting a "hot" pistol powder in a rifle.

Once you have some manuals, you look up in the books what caliber you plan to reload for, you pick a bullet weight, and there will be recommended powders at various weights. Usually a starting load and a maximum load.

I have a Lyman, Hornady and Lee, plus numerous printouts and my own notes.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Wink Re: Choosing what powder to use

Get a new reloading manual..I use Speer. Read it for the calibers you are going to use. I found Unique was a good choice for most pistol loads and have stuck with it. You will find your favorite.

(Bucks County)

thanks
    Check your local library, too. Before I got committed to reloading I read some reloading manuals there - it helped me to decide which ones to buy. Some manuals, like Lee, have a lot of loading info they simply copy from the manufacturers' published data. Others, like Hornady, do independent testing, but mostly for their own projectiles.

You can also get a lot of information from the powder manufacturers' websites. For example, here's the Hodgdon site: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Look up the caliber you intend to reload, and it will list a number of projectile/powder combinations. That will help you narrow down which powders to start with.

But, reading reloading manuals helps you to understand how powder burn rate, case capacity, projectile weight and friction, pressure, and barrel length interact, and why generally different powders are used for pistols and rifles.

(Chester County)

I've been reloading for about 20 years, not that I am an expert or anything. Yes, read, read, read. The Lyman book id excellent, as are many others. For whatever reason, I have been using mostly Hogdgon powder over the years with good results.

For 9MM, I use mostly Titegroup which I have also used for .45ACP, and .45 Colt, but I use Clays mainly for .45 ACP target loads.

W231/HP-38 is also an excellent, and versatile powder, and I would probably start there for most pistol rounds. It is a pretty forgiving powder, but as with any powder, start low, and work up to see what your guns like.

All of the above is good advice. Slow down, take your time, and most importantly thoroughly read the introductory chapters of the manuals these guys are mentioning. The intro chapters cover everything you have asked.

Powder selection is critical. Use of the wrong powder can and will lead to catastrophic results either destroying your firearm, harming someone, or both. Check Google Images for "catastrophic reloading" if you want to see what an improper load can do.

Bottom line... the reloading manuals will tell you what bullet, which powder, how much powder and which primer to use. But before you get that far into it the books will explain the science of each step and how all of the tools work for you to ensure a safe and enjoyable hobby.

Good luck!

http://ammosmith.com/

This guy have a whole video library of tutorials. I recommend them.

The Lee manual is probably my favorite. After a while, you'll know what works with what and why (what powder and what bullet work best together).

Finding the right powder for the right bullet is key.

What are you looking to load for?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

All good advice for you so far. If your new to reloading and feel like taking a ride up to wayne county one day, i would be happy to show you the actual process of reloading some cartridges from start to finish and give you a hands on lesson of all the steps.

That also goes for anyone looking for help with reloading who is interested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast