Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Colt Gold Cup Nat Match problem

Greetings,

Thanks for the additional info Lycanthrope. I'll get back to you after I perform these tests.

Stupid question time...........regarding the center leaf adjustment; how is the 8-12 oz measurement taken, a trigger pull gauge?

Thanks again, really appreciate the help!

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    There's no set way to adjust them. I set the right leg/grip safety pressure to my personal taste. I set the center leaf/disconnector/trigger return to 8oz on my game guns and 12oz on everything else.

The sear leaf/left leg is the tricky one and will depend on your hammer/sear engagement. A well done set will hold with very little pressure, while others needs considerably more to be safe.

To test, you want to lock the slide back and release it with the slide stop/release lever. This will allow the slide to release into battery at a faster speed than if it was stripping a live round (don't use a snap cap for this test). It will also bounce the sear and the trigger will fall to half-cock if there is not enough sear spring pressure or the trigger group is worn. As an added measure I also snap the gun forward when I do this to increase slide speed and maximize the possibility of sear bounce. If it holds for 3 times, you're usually ready to go. Don't overdo it on this test, however, because this is had on the trigger group.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Lycangoodluckthrope

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Colt Gold Cup Nat Match problem

Yes, I use a trigger pull gauge, but a small fishing scale will also do fine in most cases. If you assemble the gun without the grip safety, you can watch the springs engage.

Too much pressure on the center leaf won't really hurt you save for making the trigger pull unnecessarily heavy. After a while, you'll learn to sense what 12oz feels like in the trigger takeup.

I'm not claiming this as a standard, but I feel it's a good compromise between fast reset and a decent trigger pull.

Lycanseeinghelpsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12