Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Opinions on rifle choice

I am looking to get a fun rifle to plink with and for defense and I am on a limited budget. I will have about 4-500 dollars but i want to spend as little as possible. If i were to purchase an AK that would use all of my money and there would be no money for customization and such. I was think about a hi point 9mm carbine as well. This way i could get the carbine and customize it with any bells and whistles i like for only about 250-300 and have money to stockpile ammo.

I believe both have enough "stopping power" to meet the home defense needs if i want to use them for that and both would be fun at a range.

What would you do? Any other suggestions?

Ive also read about the keltec sub2000, but i am not so fond of the styling of these rifles..

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Opinions on rifle choice

Well......I think the KelTec is a nice buy. Or.....

You could build an AR for $565......

I think it would be worth the extra wait.

Lycannoneedforbellsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongose99 View Post
    I am looking to get a fun rifle to plink with and for defense and I am on a limited budget. I will have about 4-500 dollars but i want to spend as little as possible. If i were to purchase an AK that would use all of my money and there would be no money for customization and such. I was think about a hi point 9mm carbine as well. This way i could get the carbine and customize it with any bells and whistles i like for only about 250-300 and have money to stockpile ammo.

I believe both have enough "stopping power" to meet the home defense needs if i want to use them for that and both would be fun at a range.

What would you do? Any other suggestions?

Ive also read about the keltec sub2000, but i am not so fond of the styling of these rifles..
    I'm not a ballistics expert, but I've never been a fan of rifles for home defense. My fear is that a missed bad guy (or thru and thru) could be a hit family member in another room (or house). Maybe there are rounds that don't pose anymore of a risk of that happening than a large caliber handgun, so I'm sure others will let you know.

Also, bells and whistles are great for showing off at the range and adding down range accuracy, but other than a tactical light or laser sight. I don't see much purpose for add-ons for a home defense weapon. I know you're on a budget, so maybe you should give some serious thought to your main priority and then see where it leads you. I good home defense weapon may not take all the tacticool options, but it will serve its purpose if needed. You don't need a high power scope, bipod, quadrail and 50 round magazine if all you want to do is put a big hole in someone before they put one in you. If you're more interested in plinking and improving your overall shooting skills, you can start with something basic and turn it into a one of a kind long range tack driver with add-ons and improvements. Then when your gun budget is back up again, get something to serve the purpose you originally passed over.
    Last edited by str8shooter; June 5th, 2008 at 09:00 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    If you're more interested in plinking and improving your overall shooting skills, you can start with something basic and turn it into a one of a kind long range tack driver with add-ons and improvements. Then when your gun budget is back up again, get something to serve the purpose you originally passed over.
    Im more so going for this, and I believe that you also make a good point. As of now all I own are handguns and i'm looking for a fun range toy that could, if needed, be used as defense. I can always in the future, when i have more experience with rifles buy some bad ass model.

When i was refering to bell and whistles, i mostly meant a nice scope, nicer stock, and things along those lines. Haha, im not really partial to all of the tacticool 4 lights, 2 lasers, and a missle lancher add ons. Although, maybe one day i will regret not having the optional missle launcher

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

How about skipping the idea of fulfilling the home defense requirement and buy a real plinker that can be a tack driver, loads of customizations available, and cheap to shoot. I'm talking about the Ruger 10/22.
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    How about skipping the idea of fulfilling the home defense requirement and buy a real plinker that can be a tack driver, loads of customizations available, and cheap to shoot. I'm talking about the Ruger 10/22.
    +1 for this suggestion. The most fun I have shooting a rifle is with my 10/22.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

I had also considered the 10/22, as it does have tons and tons of aftermarket support.

Probably sounds best out of the other options i have listed as i think about it.

(Monroe County)

Short Story,

About 10 years ago on the way to work stopped by the neighborhood Gun store (long island New York) to pick up some .45 ACP for my Colt .45, Store owner Joe said ' did you see this , i just got it in' i said what is it ? (never saw one before) he said its a Ruger 1022, Best gun they (Ruger) make. I said how much, He said $124 with the Scope (used)

One day i stepped out in the Back yard with my Ruger 1022, i said to myself let me see what this thing can do , lined up a flock of crows cavorting about 120 yards away, picked one out and pulled the trigger, crow dropped dead instantly, next i lined up a squirrel about 100 yards away , pulled the trigger, Squirrel dropped dead. Wow i said , this thing is laser sharp.
    Ever since that Day i have a tremendous respect for the Ruger 1022, (i now have 3)
    Subsequent research on my Ruger Showed that i had the Deluxe model made in 1974 , and the scope were a "Swift " scope 3-7x made in 1971 with chriystal clear Glass.

The 1022 is at a good price with lots of support for it and if you have kids its a great training gun , when my son turned 5 i bought him his own 1022.

If youre going to own just one rifle dont make it a highpoint.

nyman

(Lawrence County)

Of course, we all know you can't really hunt with a 10/22 in PA under most conditions.......

Tons of aftermarket stuff, though.

www.rimfirecentral.com

Lycanfungunsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Pike County)

have too go with the Ruger 10/22,,,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast