Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Herters brass ammo

I've read alot of people saying how bad the Herter steel case is, and that it is simply rebranded Wolf or Tula, I forget... Anyway I picked up 180 grain softpoint brass Herters from Cabelas this past week and it doesnt shoot that bad. Does anyone know what the deal is with their brass line of ammo, the price was right and I cant figure out the4 catch lol.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Herters brass ammo

Are you talking about brass cases? I've used Herter's .357 FMJ from Cabelas. It load shoots fine in the S&W 686+ 4" and 5" revolvers. Not as accurate in the Henry .357, but lever .357s are finicky about ammo.

Herter's brand ammo is manufactured by other companies, in my case Sellier & Bellot in the Czech Republic. Check your box and it will say who makes your batch.

If you reload: I've reloaded these cases 5-6 times already (low to medium loads) and they are in fine shape. However, the tight primer pockets required reaming the first time to establish a chamfer for easier primer seating.

Herters 9 mm 115gr. Packed in the small red and black box. Made by S&B for Cabelas. I order it 10 boxes at A time when on sale. Never had any problems with it, and isnt any dirtier then other brands.

(Chester County)

S&B is good ammo. Buy with confidence.

(Lackawanna County)

Here is a link to the ammo.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104532480

At 16.99 a box I couldnt pass it up.

(Tioga County)

I've probably shot like a 1000 rounds of the 9mm brass and some of the .40 cal and not a single problem I can think of. Shoots great, relatively clean and accurate. It's good quality and better than a lot of the other ammo out there. When Cabela's has it at a good price, buy it. I think the 9mm is $13.99 right now.

As mentioned it's made by S&B.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Herters is Cabela's house brand. Cabela's is really just the marketer and importer. Different contract manufacturers actually produce the ammo. The cheap steel case ammo are made in Russia. The current brass case ammo are made by S&B -- although I could swear that the very first box of .357 mag Herters ammo I got when they first came out was made by Fiocchi. Don't they also have some kind of nylon-jacket ammo, which looked suspiciously like CCI Blazer aluminum case ammo?

BTW, Wolf's is of a similar nature. It is just an overall brand name with different suppliers. Russian manufacturers supply the steel case products, PPU supplies most of the brass case ones. While the recent stock of brass case 55gr .223 ammo are made in Taiwan.